What things have you done with a pool noodle?

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.

What things have you done with a pool noodle?

Post by 0119 »

aahh kayak related! I remember seeing a photo of a yak that used a short portion of noodle to hold lures but cant find it now. I know there must bee some uses for them I am not thinking of. Got any photos ?
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I used one to make a rod rack in my fishing room.
This room got way out of control so I organized it finally.
I use pool noodles alot but the rod rack is the only thing really different.
I'll get you a pic of my noodle on my rod holder to keep lures on.
room before :(
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Did you have Erick come over and help you with that room?
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Another use for a pool noodle. Helps me to keep my tools within easy reach
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

• Pool noodle + Duct tape = scupper plugs

When I first started kayak fishing, I used pool noodles instead of foam blocks for a roof rack. I lashed two together for a front pad and two for a rear pad (also using duct tape). So that it wouldn't blow off the roof when I was loading the kayak, I had an old broom stick that I ran through a hole I had cut in the center of the noodle.

A section of noodle inside an anchor bag makes it possible to set your drift chute or anchor line free for whatever reason and the bag will float there so you can come back to retrieve the anchor/chute.

For form fitting the flush mount rod holders with a pvc extension I have used pool noodle to pad the edges of the pvc so that it will fit snugly into the flush mount tube. Yes, again I used duct tape to wrap around the thin slices of pool noodle.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Redboner

Post by Redboner »

My Kayak Tie Down System
I thought I would share how I carry my kayak on my Jeep Cherokee. It will certainly work on any sport utility vehicle or car top rack. By using the pool noodles with ropes you can protect both the vehicle and the kayak. I have traveled to Texas and back on the interstates at sustained speeds of 80 mph with absolutely no problem. Another benefit to the system is that you can leave the rope on the vehicle and quickly load and secure the kayak.

1.> Cut pool noodle into two pieces that are about a foot longer than the width of your kayak.

2.> Cut two pieces of rope that are as twice as wide as the top of your vehicle plus three feet (this will ensure you have enough to properly secure the kayak).

3.> With the kayak on top of your vehicle, run your rope through the tie down point on the front of the rack on one side of the vehicle and then run both tag ends through the center of the pool noodle piece you cut ( repeat for the second one at the rear of the rack).

4.> Make a non slip loop on the end of one of the tag ends for each tie down.

5.> Throw the noodle with ropes inside over the kayak.

6.> Keeping the loop close to the pool noodle, run the other tag end through the tie down point on your rack then up through the loop. Now pull the tag end and use a truckers hitch to secure.

7.> Cut pieces of pool noodle that will be long enough to protect your vehicle and enough rope to go through you tie down points on the front of you vehicle and then through the front handle of your kayak.

8.> Using the same method as the top tie downs, run the rope through your tie down point and then both tag ends through the pool noodle.

9.> Make a non slip loop knot on one tag end and place that through your front handle, then run the free tag end through the loop and secure with a truckers hitch.

8.> Repeat for the other end of the vehicle.

Make sure you get the front and rear lines tight, but not over tight. The combination of all four lines will ensure your kayak is secure and the pool noodles protect the vehicle and kayak.

At least it has been working very well for me.
I hope these instructions and pictures were helpful. If you have any questions please PM me and I will try to help.

Tom
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary"
Patrick McManus
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

I've made noodle jugs for catfishing, work very well.
Topwater

Post by Topwater »

One regular pool noodle can float about 60 lbs.

The big boss ones float 200 lbs.

I put four regular noodles inside my 12’ kayak it makes it unsinkable.

Slide them in the forward hatch and place them close to center of the kayak.

If you are out and hit an oyster bar or crack the hull somehow it will not sink and you can get back without having to swim.
"When you're not teaching you're learning"
Jeff - Red - Manta Ray 12
Shep

Post by Shep »

I have one on the pole for my 360 light.
Turned part of one into an anchor line float.
New place, new fishing adventures.