Emotion Kayaks - The Mojo

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

A truckload of the new Mojos just hit Florida yesterday. Here's some pics of the non-angler model (without the console).

The console is molded so that a Scotty base will install nicely ...

I should have an angler soon ... pics to follow ...
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

LENGTH: 12' 4"
WIDTH: 31"
WEIGHT: 52 lbs
CAPACITY: 250-325 lbs (depending on water conditions)
MSRP: $579 for the basic model (without rod holders, removable console, dry box).
$699 for the angler model (shown).
WEB: http://emotionkayak.com/HTML/Kayaks/Mojo_ang.htm

I finally got to give the new/improved/re-designed Emotion Mojo a real saltwater test on Tuesday 05/22/07 (Caladesi Island, Dunedin FL). It was pretty windy, but the boat traffic was very light. Fishing was lousy, so I had no choice but to do a paddling demo.

COMFORT / EASE OF USE / DRY RIDE:
Entering the boat with the console is a little awkward at first, but after you do it a couple times it becomes second nature. I like to sit "side saddle" a lot, and this boat easily accommodates that as well. I weigh around 230, and the redesigned scuppers didn't let any water back up through them.

HANDLING / SPEED:
The new bow design adds buoyancy and definitely makes the boat part the water nicely, without hull slap. The redesigned stern makes a noticeable improvement in tracking. Speed is comparable to other 12' boats I've paddled. I had no problems turning, etc.

STABILITY:
The stability is in line with other 12' boats I've paddled. The cockpit has indents for your feet, should you be inclined to stand. I'm not a stander, so I didn't test this. But, as you can see, it can be done ...

Now for some more pictures. Here's how it looked without all my junk on it ...

Junk added ...

There was plenty of room behind the milk crate if you wanted to carry a cooler ...

The adjustable removable console is a slick trick. Here, I have it slid all the way forward. Between the tackle tube I use and the dry box (that comes with the boat) there's not much need to get in to the milk crate very often. It puts everything you need in easy reach.

Here's how the cockpit looks without the console. I added a Scotty base and put an extension on a Scotty rod holder in my other Mojo. Using the flush rod holder mount, the console will still attach. As you can see, this frees up a lot of room in the cockpit, should you decide you need it ...

The tank well has indents for a 5 gallon bucket and a standard sized milk crate ...

I modified my milk crate with "J" hooks so I could secure it to the boat via the tank well bungee ...

The front hatch may appear small, but it allowed me to insert 5 rods (up to 7.5' - reels on) and my paddle ...

The hatch has a neoprene cover AND a hard cover ...

Yep, wish I was here ...
Jerry White
fishaholic

Mojo Angler

Post by fishaholic »

Took it out today in pretty choppy conditions and did not get wet besides the paddle drip. Tracks very nicely. Pretty stable. Absolutly no hull slap I love it. Everything on this boat is so well thought out. I tried alot of kayaks before I bought this one and with all the other kayaks there was 1 or 2 things that I didn't like about them. I give this kayak a 10 for sure

Alex
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

The Mojo looks great, but it does not appear to be easy to mount more than one rod in front unless you use the Scotty triple mount or the like. I prefer four rod holders toward the bow for drifting bait. Rear rod holders are, to me, mostly useless except to carry rods and/or a net. Also don't care for flush mounts, reels stay wet if there is spray, though that can be taken care of with a bit of pvc. Still, its a nice looking yak.
Chadryan

Wind Issue?

Post by Chadryan »

I like the looks of the Mojo, but it looks like it has quite a bit of freeboard. Is the wind an issue with this kayak?

Thanks
-Chad
Wallyken

My Mojo

Post by Wallyken »

Just bought in March 2008 & immediately took a weekend to the Okefenokee. Spent 2 days camping. 1st day paddle was 4 miles with lots of side trips. 2nd day was 12 miles mostly upcurrent through Billy's Lake and Minnie's Lake to Floyd's Island. 3rd day was back downstream about 10 miles.

The boat was really easy to handle for me, a novice. It tracked extremely well in light wind and through some very narrow trails and against some fairly strong current.

Stability was great.

I considered the kayak choice a good one and was well pleased.
Wally
pag_yaker

Re: Wind Issue?

Post by pag_yaker »

Chadryan wrote:I like the looks of the Mojo, but it looks like it has quite a bit of freeboard. Is the wind an issue with this kayak?

Thanks
-Chad
The pics are deceiving because no one is in the boat, makes it float higher than it does with ME in it. Still, the best way to see how one paddles is to paddle one ... ;)
Jerry White