anchors....

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Rooster

anchors....

Post by Rooster »

they are expensive, when im in shallow water i just jam a mopstic into the ground through the scupper, but what makes a good inexpensive deeper water anchor?
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

The 1.5 lb grappling type anchors are too expensive? They're probably the CHEAPEST thing you'll buy for your kayak...

Get one and 40 feet of crab trap line and call it a day. You'll be out a total of about $15
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Spend the extra few bucks and get the 3 lb anchor. There are times in the waves and current I can be in that it won't hold 100% of the time. The 1.5 lb claw anchor just doesn't do it for me.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Kingslayer wrote:The 1.5 lb grappling type anchors are too expensive? They're probably the CHEAPEST thing you'll buy for your kayak...

Get one and 40 feet of crab trap line and call it a day. You'll be out a total of about $15
never seen those, the one i seen was like $45 w/o the rope. :shock:
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I like the 1.5 anchor myself just for ease of deployment and transporting. I don't care if my boat move some..i can't sit in one spot long anyway as it drives me nuts....

Bill Jacksons has them and while your there have Seabiscuit install an anchor trolley with a wading line...it's the dogs danglies for inshore applications.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

I agree with LB. Get the 3 lb anchor. Lighter anchors just won't always work on a windy or strong tide day. Kind of a bummer to be out wading and come back to discover your kayak is half way across Tampa Bay.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rooster wrote: never seen those, the one i seen was like $45 w/o the rope. :shock:
Here you go Rooster-

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/catalog ... oducts.htm
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
S.S.Tupperware

Post by S.S.Tupperware »

Do your self a favor and make a cajun anchor... a sharpened 3 1/2 ft piece of s.s. rod with a point. Its a great stake out pole, and works great as an anchor with very little scope. Kill 2 birds with one stone...
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/SSTupperware/link_sot_redfish.jpg[/img]
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

i just use a sharpened mopstick for that, i just wanted something for deeper water, that 3.5 lb anchor was in my price range, in the link todd posted just might have to pick one up, thanks..
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Get the 3lb..you can get them at West or Boaters World. Less than $15
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

I've never used an anchor. :twisted:

Anyone have any luck with the retrievable "dog leash" thing with the anchor on the end. Seems like it would solve the problem of the rope getting in the way of everything?
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Anyone have any luck with the retrievable "dog leash" thing with the anchor on the end.
In a word Yes..however both that I purchased eventually wore out.

Something you might want to consider is getting a 50 length of paracord from the Army navy store (one in St Pete on 66th St just N of 54 Ave)

Then attach the cord to a 4-6 inch section of pool noodle.
It wraps the anchor line well and is retrievable in case you forget to secure the line properly.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

mauso1 wrote:
Anyone have any luck with the retrievable "dog leash" thing with the anchor on the end.
In a word Yes..however both that I purchased eventually wore out.

Something you might want to consider is getting a 50 length of paracord from the Army navy store (one in St Pete on 66th St just N of 54 Ave)

Then attach the cord to a 4-6 inch section of pool noodle.
It wraps the anchor line well and is retrievable in case you forget to secure the line properly.
I put the noodle into the anchor bag. Many times I'll just detach the clip when I have to paddle over to someone then when I return just clip it back onto the anchor trolley ring. My original anchor didn't have a float on it and one evening I went to anchor up fast :shock: and didn't realize that I hadn't clipped the rope to the ring. Deep sixed the whole thing and it was windy and murky and I couldn't find the rope. The very next anchor I got, I added the length of pool noodle.
I like the pool noodle in the anchor bag because at the end of the day I wrap up all the rope around it so that it's not tangled for the next time out.

Steve,
That's a hint for managing the anchor rope, but I'd say another way of managing it is to only have 15 feet of rope. Few people anchor deep (i'm one that does) so 15 feet is usually plenty. Than small of a length of rope shouldn't tangle that much.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

50 length of paracord
Just to clarify..I don't use 50' of anchor line..that's just the way they sell it. The paracord has many other uses including but not limited anchor trolly rigging ,wade line etc..
It is very strong, small diameter, doesn't stretch at all and is rot resistant.

Like Neil said 15 - 20 ft of line provides plenty of rode for even the windiest conditions. I think I actually split a 50' piece between mine and Terrys line.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I boaught a 25' retractable clothesline @ Home Depot for $10 and attached that to a 3# anchor and it seems to work fine for me. Alot cheaper than the dog leash and when it wears out I'll go get another one.
Just zip tie it to my crate. "What I have not figured out is how to release and retrieve it quickly, of course, given my fishing ability that has not yet been a problem for me since lizardfish rarely pull the boat.

When the winds die down I'll go back to my 1.5# neoprene covered barbell, but it just won't hold in these March winds. I like it because it is so quiet.

I use the anchor more than my stakeout pole, just easier for me. When I get out to wade and it's windy or the tide is running strong I sometimes use both .

Again, if wind is not a factor when wading I just use the bow line around my waist.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

Larry
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times...don't exaggerate!