What about Lightning?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing

So, if faced with a lightning storm that "comes out of no-where, what do you do?

Poll ended at Mon May 07, 2007 6:36 am

1. Paddle like He!! to your launch site?
33%
2. Sit it out and try to stay dry?
7%
3. Find the closest shelter?
60%
4. None of the above, do something else.
No votes

Total votes: 15

kspops

What about Lightning?

Post by kspops »

Just wanted to get a cenus from the group about lightning, what to do?
Lets face the fact that as most TV reports will say, This is the lightning capital of the country. So, if faced with a lightning storm that "comes out of no-where, what do you do?
1. Paddle like He!! to your launch site?
2. Sit it out and try to stay dry?
3. Find the closest shelter?
4. None of the above, do something else.

Just curious, and considering the posts about the phone-radar, It would be nice, but do they call with updates, or do you have to 'check-in' for them?
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

If I am caught in a storm, I head for the nearest shoreline and look for a spot away from tall trees and power lines. I carry a 8 X 8 tarp with some twine to make a shelter in the mangroves. Pull the yac out of the water and lay the rods down, shut off the phone and radio, sit on your seat cushion or rubber hatch cover. Light a gar and watch the show.

The cell radar, you dial up when you want to check it.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Redboner

Post by Redboner »

I usually am very careful with my trip planning. However, this is Florida and storms can "come out of nowhere, fast". I always watch the skies and if it looks like a storm may be brewing I head back to the launch.
Like Skeeter, I carry an 8'X8' tarp and some cord in the hatch for emergencies.
The best thing to do is find shelter in a building with plumbing and electric, but we know that is not usually going to be readily available.

From what I have read the safest thing to do is get to shore, find a low flat area away from trees, powerlines etc. Stay low to the ground and hope for the best.
I agree that you should get the kayak out of the water and take rods out of rod holders. I don't agree with building any kind of shelter to wait out a lightning storm. That will just be something else to conduct electricity. I believe that you should try to lay as flat on the ground as possible and wait out the lightning.
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary"
Patrick McManus
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Ok ..I am confused here..
Redboner wrote
Like Skeeter, I carry an 8'X8' tarp and some cord in the hatch for emergencies.
also..
I don't agree with building any kind of shelter to wait out a lightning storm. That will just be something else to conduct electricity
The idea of the tarp makes sense to me but i'm still confused ..redboner are you saying you take the tarp but don't hang it on anything?
I'm far from a scientist but would throwing a tarp over a branch add to the threat of being hit?

I have been caught in some torrential storms and really hate getting soaked..so I thought the tarp / sitting on an insulated seat idea sounded good to me but please correct me if I'm wrong..
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Topwater

Post by Topwater »

The rules to survival are simple:

Seek a safe low densely treed area if you are on the water. Don't be the highest object around.

Don't huddle as a group spread out at least 100 feet

Minimize your contact with the ground, but remember to keep low.

Stay away from other conductors eg. Towers, fences, wires etc.

If you can get to a vehicle it is your safest place.

Don't assume the storm is over until at least 30 minutes have elapsed from
the last flash of lightning

As a rule of thumb the time from the lightning flash to it thunder clap is roughly 1 mile for every five seconds.
"When you're not teaching you're learning"
Jeff - Red - Manta Ray 12
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

It has happened to me, I watch the weather and if there is a thunderboomer in the forecast, I stay close to the launch site. If the boomer starts coming my way, I paddle like hell to the launch tie the kayak to a stationary object via the anchorline, and sit in the good ol' ford ranger till its over. A car is the safest place to be when its boomin.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

According to NOAA, canoes top the list of “Unsafe Aquatic Vessels During Lightning Activityâ€
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

[quote="pag_yaker"]According to NOAA, canoes top the list of “Unsafe Aquatic Vessels During Lightning Activityâ€
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

What service do you subscribe to to get these ? I get 'em from Baynews9
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

pag_yaker wrote:What service do you subscribe to to get these ? I get 'em from Baynews9
My AOL gave me a weather alerts option and they just email these two me when alerts pop up for West Central Florida.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

Me, I'm hosed. I've got an aluminum paddle and a OK Drifter...I'm a lightning rod soaking in a puddle of water.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

i better knock-wood but i've yet to get caught in an all-out "thunder storm" i've been in several rainstorms but so far no lightning. When the rain comes i am typically too far from the launch to hi-tail it so i've just put my rods down and ducked into the mangroves for cover. When it's over is a pretty good time to fish.

i've been lucky so far i guess.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
scantone1

Post by scantone1 »

I dont worry about it that much. The chances are slim to get hit by lighting and I dont wont my day ruined for anything. I am a electrician so I know a lil about current and lighting is looking for the least restrictive path to a ground and as long as your not it your ok. So just dont touch things like trees poles anything that is in the ground and also look where you are standing if you get off the kayak look for any tales that their could be something right below your feet (a pipe). Has anyone ever seen lighting hit the water? I have been in the water when it has struck it and nothing has happed to me atleast. So my advice in a storm is to just relax and thing about how you can make your self the most restricted path to ground. Also where some good soled shoes it makes a biggggggg difference. Also a kayak is made out of material that dosent conduct electricity well and that means less likely to get lit up.