Rigging a Canoe

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
wely

Rigging a Canoe

Post by wely »

What are your best Ideas to rig a 16' canoe for swamp and backwater fishing?
May the peace of Christ be with you always!
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Try this there's a couple of canoes with rigging

http://paddle-fishing.com/RiggedBoats.aspx
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

If you are not using a padded yoke then use a Sharpie to mark your twart to measure your catches. It's easier that juggling a "Law Stick", the fish and a camera.
As an alternate you can also mark the deck for those big ones that are wider than your canoe. :D
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

No pictures yet, but I took a 1 x 4, mounted two Scotties and my fishfinder on it, drilled holes, cut a 1 x 2, and use bolts/wing nuts through the two to clamp it to the gunwales. I fish freshwater, so didn't bother with stainless bolts/nuts, but would use stainless if going salt. I just remove the system when loading for home.
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

Mine is tricked out with padded swivel seats, trolling motor, stabilizers, etc. One problem is, set up time or reloading, about 15 minutes if the launch has some walk, to and from the car. So it depends to what degree you want to dress it out. Though expensive, the stablizers I would not go out without. I can stand all day and get through areas of high boat traffic that no paddler would attempt. Some of my most productive areas have zero fishing pressure for those reasons. One thing I think is novel and easy to do is my dry box. I use a Coleman cooler and on the front I have 2 pvc rod holders, acessory tray (cup/pliers/open tray) and a pvc fish grip holster. On the back, I have my pfd on a quick release trianagular design bungee. Inside is all my tackle, 1st aide kit, rain gear, lotions, binoculars, etc. Covers all situations, never have to think or pack, just grab it and go.