Baitwell

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Swamprider

Baitwell

Post by Swamprider »

I hate to say this - but I am thinking about try to do some live bait fishing. Does anyone know if the areators that clip on to a five gallon bucket will sustain greenbacks? I hear they are hard to kep alive. As always Thanks for any advice.
Shep

Post by Shep »

Thought about the bait tube? Would be cheaper and easier if you decide to stop with the live bait.
New place, new fishing adventures.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

A recirculating pump in a small cooler will work well.
A lot of weight to carry though.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
chewbaka1973

Re: Baitwell

Post by chewbaka1973 »

Swamprider wrote:I hate to say this - but I am thinking about try to do some live bait fishing. Does anyone know if the areators that clip on to a five gallon bucket will sustain greenbacks? I hear they are hard to kep alive. As always Thanks for any advice.
i wouldnt put more then a hand full of greenies in a 5 gallon bucket, they die way too easy. i have had good luck with longlife airratores.
http://www.longerlifebaitkits.com/products.htm
i own the mini and the mega. both work well. the mini runs on 2 AA and the mega on 2 Ds for hours and hours.'
good luck
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Following the K.I.S.S. motto, have you seen this type of bait bucket?
http://www.plasticnavy.com/bait-tube.htm
Carpe pisces!
Fishfreak08

Post by Fishfreak08 »

My Grandfather is working on a livewell rig (Baitben....he is the Owner of DCY Marine) that will fit my kayak and see how it works...
Tan Emotion kayak "Mojo"...17 years old..Love to fish!!!
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

Bait tubes work well on the Left Coast because the water is so much colder than that of the Gulf or Atlantic in its more southerly regions. The warmer water is not conducive to keeping bait alive in small containers.
fishinfoflounder

Post by fishinfoflounder »

greyloon wrote:Bait tubes work well on the Left Coast because the water is so much colder than that of the Gulf or Atlantic in its more southerly regions. The warmer water is not conducive to keeping bait alive in small containers.
Very true. I used to fish rivers & lakes for largemouth bass to stock the pond behind my house. I used a 30 gallon drum to transport them. During the winter I had no problems, during the summer I'd have to stop & dump fresh water into the drum.
Don't remember what turned on the :idea: but I started carrying ice with me. I'd add ice to the drum before the trip home didn't have to stop anymore. It's my opinion correct me if I'm wrong, that cooler water retains oxygen better & the cooler water slows the fishes metabolism, thereby requiring less oxygen to maintain life.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Fishfreak08

Post by Fishfreak08 »

what most people dont realize is the bait don't survive off the bubbles on the surface of the water, but the cooler water with the dissolved oxygen in it
Tan Emotion kayak "Mojo"...17 years old..Love to fish!!!
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Here's a link to a brilliant article on using live bait from a kayak ... might be some options worth considering ...

Livewell Options for a Kayak
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
fishcometrue

Live bait tank

Post by fishcometrue »

Ok, on occasion I am live bait weenie. I just can't stand not catching something...even if it's only bait. :) I put this live well together for the occasional live bait outing. Bought the dog food box from Pets Mart, fits perfectly in a walmart fake milk crate. Haven't mustard the courage to liberate a real one from publix yet. :) The bilge pump I had on hand, and the waterproof box was had at walmart for 8.00. A deal IMHO. Just as nice as the pelican but clear. I used a 6 volt battery vs. 12 volt as I wanted to slow the 500gph (allegedly) down as well as reduce the noise. The rubber grommet through the side and hose were a Home Depot item. The battery was found at Batteries Plus. 6 volt 12 amp hour. The pump is rated at 1.9 amp hours. I don't typically run a live well non stop. The over flow is accomplished simply by letting the water run out the door opening as the fit is not that tight. The scuppers on my Kayak are directly under the door. I haven't actually used it yet, except for the swimming pool test.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Seems like I remember someone posting about how shrimp could be kept alive in a softside cooler with some ice and soaked news paper. Not saying, just saying…

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
The Below Average Angler

Post by The Below Average Angler »

fuzzy wrote:Seems like I remember someone posting about how shrimp could be kept alive in a softside cooler with some ice and soaked news paper. Not saying, just saying…

fuzz
This is very true.
Jason