September Slam - woo-dang-hoo

Flamingo to Big Bend
TerryW

September Slam - woo-dang-hoo

Post by TerryW »

I noticed a distinctive pattern change today versus last weekend in the same locale and POW, I got a nice slam.

First were a bunch of trout, including this Mr.Trout who made a lot of noise:

A bit later, to my surprise, I made a cast into some tailers and POW, I got my largest snook ever from the kayak. She was a tad under 28 inches and a whole lotta of jumping fun:

So, the search was on for a redfish of any size to complete the inshore slam.

I caught a bazillion trout and the nice thing was that they were in the 19-22 inch range. Very cool to see them coming back after the devastating red tide.

I also got into some MAJOR lizardfish schools. Go figure. I caught six and quit counting. rofl

MikeB and his brother-in-law (??) were out there. Nice to see you again, Mike!

And then I ran into Paddlefisher, who is an excellent kayak guide SOTE. inlow this guy can find some reds so I stuck with him! Of course he outfished me about four to one, but at did find a small red to complete my slam:

PHEW --- Had I not caught a red, I'd still be out there and my family would be starving to death!

I went on to catch two larger reds and some more nice trout and lost a very nice tailing snook. (Yes, a TAILING snook. I saw several today. Go darn figure.)

Great day south of Tampa Bay!

Girls paddle & <"))))>< too

Posts: 3044 | Location: Lakeland and Anna Maria Island, FLA | Registered:: January 09, 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Good for you Terry. Too bad about the snook coming up a little short.I know how much you are looking forward to bringing one home for dinner. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Flamingo Mama

Post by Flamingo Mama »

Sounds like a good day! We did nothing @ Simmons. Well, Jim did catch a needlefish on his fly rod. It was good just being on the water though. Congratulations on your slam!
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

Good to see you as well, Terry. The trout bite was off the chart yesterday. I probably had over 30 up to the boat and ended up taking one home that went about 17". They were tough on the baits. I went through an entire bag. Seemed the bite ended at the last of the out-going tide. Way to go with the slam!
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Congrats on the SLAM, Terry. Nice report.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
tbray

Post by tbray »

Who's da man?....err......wo-man!?

Great job T
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Mike --- Those trout destroyed more soft plastics than usual. They were voracious.

I caught the snook to your east just as the tide turned. There were several of them tailing out there. On my way back in, a few hours after low tide, a monster snook was tailing in less than two feet of water. I made a great cast and he went for the lure and I got so excited and.....poof, a big splash and he was gone.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

Mako

Post by Mako »

Way to go Terry!!! it seems you're a much better angler fishing out of a kayak than you are from a boat :D
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Shep

Post by Shep »

Good to hear Terry.
I'm startin to think mabye I was off the water too early yesterday.
New place, new fishing adventures.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://www.paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18235&am

Post by Norm »

woo-dang-hoo? God I love it when she talks fishin... :lol: hey Terry...parlez vous humma humma?..

Way to go girlie on the slam bam :wink:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
BowSlayer

Nice.. reel nice!

Post by BowSlayer »

Way to go!
I managed 1/3 of a slam both Saturday and Sunday.... I caught the snook both days... undersized, but snook nonetheless...
And I did manage a really nice 'grove snapper and sheephead, a sailcat and a few miserable bottom cats. I scored 7 fish for the week-end. I fished just inside Braden River...
I am planning the intercoastal on the Perico Island side this next Saturday.. The flats there are much better. I also noticed the Austrailian pines that have been 'hewn' down just past Palma Sola. Though there IS a place to launch there, it is rather a sore eye, so I'll launch on the east side of the bridge and go north from there and see what i can find! ;)
Bow~
pbr

Post by pbr »

Where were you fishing Terry?
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

Congrats on the slam Terry!

Wish I could have stayed out there till the tide bottomed out, but family day at the "dog beach" was pretty fun too.
Dave
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Way to go Terry!!! it seems you're a much better angler fishing out of a kayak than you are from a boat
But I can make such pretty prop scars in the big boat. :lol:

Bigfish171 wrote:Congrats on the slam Terry!

Wish I could have stayed out there till the tide bottomed out, but family day at the "dog beach" was pretty fun too.
You won't believe this, but I saw a tarpon about five minutes after you left. Really! He was surfing those big boat waves. I chased him but he disappeared and I never saw another.

I caught just about every thing today but a snook.... lots of trout and ladies, several small reds, and what I believe is a Bluefish. I need to look it up. Also --- found a live scallop swimming along. Too cool.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

Gh Fisherboy

Post by Gh Fisherboy »

Way to go! I got 2/3 of the slam saturday. I ended up with a 26" and 30" snook and one trout around 18" until the heat drove me off the water.
Fishing isn't boring....you just suck at it.
TerryB

Post by TerryB »

Congrats Terry.
I had to work, good to hear that some of you went fishing.