Need a new reel.

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
SneakySnook

Need a new reel.

Post by SneakySnook »

I'm looking at getting a new reel for a 7'6" GL2 mag-light rod. All I fish with is artificals so I don't want a reel that is to heavy. I have heard great things about the quantum reels but they seem heavy. What do you guys think are some reels I should check out?
Blindmullet

Re: Need a new reel.

Post by Blindmullet »

SneakySnook wrote:I'm looking at getting a new reel for a 7'6" GL2 mag-light rod. All I fish with is artificals so I don't want a reel that is to heavy. I have heard great things about the quantum reels but they seem heavy. What do you guys think are some reels I should check out?
I switched to Okuma - Aveon or V series
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I absolutely love my Cabo20.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Cowgirl623

Post by Cowgirl623 »

The Penn 550 SSG is a nice reel.
"Don't quit when the tide is lowest, for it is just about to turn..." -Jill Wolf
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Cowgirl623 wrote:The Penn 550 SSG is a nice reel.
If nothing else they are tough. I have had one for several years and it works just like the day I bought it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
fishinfoflounder

Post by fishinfoflounder »

Abu Garcia 5600. TRUST ME!!!!!
Oh never mind you guys are talking spinning reels
Last edited by fishinfoflounder on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Taught her everything I know (that's not saying a lot). Personally I like the Penn Spinfisher graphite series. They are tough and will remain smooth with just a little maintenance. My wife has a 440 that's 22 years old, still looks good. Can't recommend the Captivas though, very disappointed with them.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
SneakySnook

Post by SneakySnook »

fishinfoflounder wrote:Abu Garcia 5600. TRUST ME!!!!!
Oh never mind you guys are talking spinning reels
I need a new baitcaster but I'm waiting for the new Abu Garcia Revo inshore to come out. If anyone knows where I can get one let me know.
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

redfisher wrote:
If nothing else they are tough. I have had one for several years and it works just like the day I bought it.
I agree with the above, I like the size of the 440 over the 550. I have mistreated my reel a few times, but a decent cleaning makes it like new again. I have had it just about a year.
-Scott

And across from the bar there's a pile of beer cans
Been there twenty-seven years
Imagine all the heart aches and tears
In twenty-seven years of beer
pbr

Post by pbr »

Quantum Catalyst
xchristopherj

Post by xchristopherj »

since you use artificials, you don't want a lot of wobble in your reel. I would suggest something like a shimano symetre. I think it would match your rod very well. I'd go 4000, but you could go with the 2500 if weight was really a big factor
chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

My vote is going to go to my newest aquisition. I bought a Penn Sargus SG2000 model and a Redbone Hurricane RB-455 7 foot medium action from Holy Mack Tackle. I think its the nicest setup yet for yak fishin. Extremly light, short butt, perfect if you ask me :lol:

http://www.pennreels.com/01_products/re ... series.htm

http://www.redbone.org/rods_info.html
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Gramps wrote:
redfisher wrote:
I agree with the above, I like the size of the 440 over the 550. I have mistreated my reel a few times, but a decent cleaning makes it like new again. I have had it just about a year.
luv my 450 ssg also, low maintenance-high quality reel. Can't beat that combination.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

I like the good old Zebco 202... it'd fit your GL2 perfectly... :wink: Just kidding... I don't have a GL2 but I do like the OKuma reels. Very smooth, light and I love mine! I have an Okuma fly reel, not really made for the salt but I have been using it for about a year now and so far the salt has not messed it up. As long as I take care of it, it seems bulletbproof.
"Paddle Faster boys... I hear banjo music..."
Tarpon 160os
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
www.heroesonthewater.org
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

Daiwa TD Sol, comes in 2000, 2500 and 3000.

Much lighter that the Quantums but up there in $$$

Take your pole in and make sure the reel is balanced for the rod.

boxarox2

Post by boxarox2 »

I just converted all my Shimano 2500 Stradics to Diawa Tierra 2500; I am happy with them. I use the on 7' - 8' St. Croix Avid series rods. Pros: smooth, sealed drag, all metal gears (no plastic garbage), light weight, less wind knots w/braided line. Con: retrieval rate is slower that Stradics; takes longer to get your lure back (but most people work their lures too fast so it is probably a blessing!) Same price also. I used Stradics for about 7 yrs before the change and won't go back to them. Check them out!
boxarox2