What 2 epoxies would u reccomend me?

7TH AVEcrewKyle

What 2 epoxies would u reccomend me?

Post by 7TH AVEcrewKyle »

I decided to try my hand at rod building and im getting a mudhole value spinning kit 7' 8-12. I pretty much know what all i need but i am a little confused on which epoxies i need?? I think i need 2, a high build for the cork, reel seat, etc and a low build for coating the guide wraps. What 2 would you reccomend me from mudhole.com? Im not wanting to spend a ton, this is a guinea pig. Thanks guys.
click clack BOOM
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I use Flex Coat Lite for finish on the wraps. You can get the 2oz kit with syringes for about $10.

I use regular 60 minute epoxy for the grip and reel seat. The kind you can get from the hardware store. I wouldn't use use 5 minute epoxy, it sets to fast and if you make a mistake, you don't have time to fix it (I learned from experience).

Don't use the finish coat epoxy for gluing up the reel seat and grip. It is formulated as a finish, not as a glue to stick things together.
noles

Post by noles »

For reel seats & grip use U-40 Rod Bond (reg.) and for wraps use U-40 Permagloss. Why permagloss? For a beginner its very easy to apply and you don't have to worry about mixing and air bubbles in your finish. Once you get more comfortable with 2-part epoxy then move up the Threadmaster light. It's the best finish, IMHO.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
7TH AVEcrewKyle

Post by 7TH AVEcrewKyle »

OK thanks for the suggestions :D
click clack BOOM
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

noles wrote: then move up the Threadmaster light. It's the best finish, IMHO.

Sorry Noles but I have to disagree. Diamondite is top dog. I think Threadmaster light is a close second. The only advantage Threadmaster has is that the mix ratio is 1:1 instead of 1:2.

Like most things though...it just boils down to personal taste, ability, and experience with a given product.

If you think that mixing exact quantities is a daunting task but you prefer the look and feel of epoxy you can always use prepackage epoxy. No chance for error in mixing.
I had some that I got for free and they are really good. I actually think the stuff is Flex coat.
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.