Lipper float - where to buy

mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Lipper float - where to buy

Post by mjrodney »

In several photos I've seen recently on PF.com, are what appear to be net floats (?) attached to fish lippers....intended to prevent the loss of the lipper in case of a capsize.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a decent float for my own lipper?
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Any Marine store.
0 0 1
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

Buy a pool noodle... cut into 4"-6" sections, loop a rope through the hole in the middle and attach one to whatever you don't want to lose.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

DaveR had a good idea once. :wink:
Instead of a float just put a short rope with a clip to clip to your kayak.
It takes up much less room and works great for a temp stringer deal.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

Or you could put a 5 foot line on the end with a snap hook and tether it to the kayak. When you catch a fish, you can lip it and then put it back in the water (it will act like a stringer) while you sort out the camera and such.

A float won't do you any good if it falls over when you're not looking and if it's attached to a fish, hope you can paddle fast enough to catch it.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Chadryan wrote:Buy a pool noodle..
A pool noodle will eventually rot out. And you better check that noodle out in a pool, they may not float the grip.

Holy Mackerel Tackle sells them as well as most marine stores as stated.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

If you don't have too much in your current grip drop by B Jacksons and check out the lipper that floats...like $15 and it'll grip any thing under 40lbs maybe more and not let go until you want it to.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Hey, I chased down a float with a 26" red on the line once. Go for the clip to the boat, as a red can out turn you in a flash. 20 minutes of hard accelerating and turning is a little hard on the old body. Thankfully he wore out before I did :D

Never thought about using the arrangement for a make shift stringer. Thanks.
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

Gander mountain had a couple that were part of a fish trap or something, like 6 dollars but it had 2. KFS has them for 2.50 +S&H. It is really just a hollow peice of plastic, those kid rings from thrift store's would work. Although I really liked the tether, keep fish in the water idea. Does the fish just hang out or do the sharks sometimes take a bite? John
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

I have one of these Browning lanyards that they make for their pliers that I'll sometimes use to leash my boga in deeper water or at night.

Usually I'm just extra careful and put the strap around my wrist every time I use it. When not in use, I clip it on the adjustment knob of a scotty rod holder. Hasnt failed me yet, but I'm sure I'll lose it next time I go out now that I've said something.
ryan
Rik

Post by Rik »

brokenarrowjbe wrote: Does the fish just hang out or do the sharks sometimes take a bite? John
I don't use it as a stringer for any length of time. The weight of the grip takes it to the bottom so it really doesn't trail along very well while paddling.

It is just nice, as I wrote, to keep the fish in the water while fiddling around getting the camera out. Sure beats having it flop around in your lap.

One other point. Quite often, redfish are in schools. Catch one from it and you can go right back and get another. As soon as you get the first fish lipped and unhooked, you can put the fish in the water with the grip attached and cast again. Hard on both the fish and you to do that while the fish is in your lap or footwell.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

I do the same thing with my boga by using it as a temporary stringer, except I just hang it off a cleat just behind my seat. The length of the lanyard is just long enough to keep the fish's head in the water. It made me a little nervous the first few times I did it, but it's very secure.
ryan
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Last weekend when I was out, I saw several beached derelict crab traps 15 feet from waterline on mangrove islands. There were quite a few floats not being used.. Not everyday that life presents you w/ an opportunity to be a pirate & conversationalist at the same time.
Last edited by DoubleM on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Did you leave the trap?
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Of coarse, stunk too bad
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Post by Rik »

An unmarked trap will never get pulled from the water and will continue to kill for years to come.