Everglades City to Picnic Key trip.

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
vivian

Everglades City to Picnic Key trip.

Post by vivian »

As soon as I heard the weather report thursday night I called all my paddling friends to see if a quick trip could be organized. Everyone had plans so Connie and I thought it would be nice to do a leisure trip to the gulf. Fish and take pictures as mileage was low.

So as not to do a boring Indian Key Pass only paddle we took the Russell Key pass to Gaskin on the way back in.

Look how calm it was before entering the LeMans

Before that point I worked the mouth of Indian Key Pass both sides which usually yields a fish or two on the outgoing. N A D A :dontknow: Water was a weird green with mud brew.

After exiting the LeMans I fish the last of the outgoing, switched lures three times. Not one nibble :(

At slack we take our place on Picnic because there was a group of boys scouts and the island was booked to capacity. Every island was booked and that was the only bad part of the weekend.

After setting up camp we set out to paddle around Tiger Key and fish West Pass

Caught a few trout and they were fun and pretty large. Only took pic of one as I did not want to bring them up or handle them. The saltwater assasin worked better than the other jigs tried.

I did see some of the biggest sheepsheads ever :eek: they were at all the island points at the edges and shallows. Would not take anything I had with me. Should have brought my white skimmer head bucktail and tipped it. Also saw schools of juvi reds quickly darting through the shallows. No snook or tarpon.

Back to Picnic I decide to go and fish the incoming at the Stop Keys. Did not get too far when a dense fog came through.

In no time at all I was enveloped in this fog and I could not see much more than about 10 feet around me. I decide to head close to shore and follow the shoreline back to camp. There were boaters out caught in this and I was afraid they would not see me.

That afternoon the fog stuck around until the next day. We could not see the sunset (or tiger key). A group of 15 canoers heading for Lulu had to stop at Picnic because they lost their way. Unfortunately they were the type not to follow regulations. They lit a giant bonfire in the middle of the beach :hammer: not knowing that the fire should be lit at tide line so beach scarring would be minimized. Of course they got drunk and obnoxious and just partied all night. Lucky for those at Lulu, they were spared. :rolleyes: Well the boyscouts did not follow regulations either and set another fire close to the mangroves and not at tide line.
The next morning the beach was a mess of charred left over fire pits. How pretty is that? I guess they don't teach the boyscouts, leave no trace principles.

Day two back to E City, got up early and decided to use some topwater and shallow plugs on the way in. N A D A :(

Finally at the entrance to the Le Mans some trout action on the rootbeer swirl tail.

I fished and cast to every place in this pass we have caught fish in the past and not one interested ladyfish, jack or even lowly catfish took the lure.

Oh well...it was a gorgeous weekend on the water after a long, cold and windy winter. :thumbsup:
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Excellent report! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Great report..............Looks like a excellent trip......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

All these Everglades reports......AAARRRGGGGHHHHH........

I'm so jealous, doesnt look like I'll get down there this year. I love that place :cry:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Nice trip. That area where you guys came into West Pass Bay is quite good.
vivian

Post by vivian »

Dustin you are right about that. West Pass area is very good fishing.

If you happen to get an incoming tide in the morning and are trying to make it down the islands, try that Russell Key Pass route I show. When the tides are incoming, they will actually help you along westerly towards what I call the Amoeba island. Fish the incoming in that area and then when the tides change, head down to the gulf.

This route will add a few extra miles to your trip. Total is 17 miles for this loop route to Picnic. One bonus is not much motorboat or paddler traffic. I only saw one boat the entire trip using that route.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Spent a couple of lost weekends on Picnic. Thanks for the memories!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Vivian,

I was just looking at your chart...I've always called "Russell Pass" the deep cut that forks off just to the north of Indian Key Pass. I always take that route to the outside instead of Indian Key Pass since most boats don't use it. I've paddled and fished the route you show multiple times, but always just thought it was a no-name cut through the islands. Within the next month (and maybe now to some degree), there will be some good laid-up tarpon in the mud bays off West Pass and Gaskin.
vivian

Post by vivian »

It is a no name pass but I call it Russell Key Pass instead of Russell Pass.
Good tip on the tarpon, thanks!
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

looks like you guys had a good time, all this canoe propaganda you post has me out looking for a good deal on a canoe...
vivian

Post by vivian »

I'll keep my eyes peeled in case a good deal comes along you might be interested in. It is hard to come across quality solo canoes cheap but there are some opportunities.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

I was asking for you at the Paddle-In, Vivian. Had I known you were that close, I would have come over to say hi.
Please, call me Kate
vivian

Post by vivian »

I was further north in the Big Cypress on a bike trip. Unfortunately i could not make it to the paddle in this year :cry:

Did you catch any fish? How was the paddle in?
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

I didn't fish at all. I came down to go to the Paddle-In and paddle and photograph Halfway Creek, Sandfly Island, and the Blackwater River. Some beautiful paddling destinations you have down there. I'll be back before the heat arrives.
Please, call me Kate