Deal of a lifetime? Not exactly, but close!!!

Battlewagon

Deal of a lifetime? Not exactly, but close!!!

Post by Battlewagon »

So I go stop by a Play it Again Sports last Saturday night with my GF to pick up some used baseballs for practice for my sons travel team. As I'm walking in, I have to do a double take. There on the floor to the entrance is a Hobie Mirage Drive Outback Hank Parker fishing edition 12' Kayak. So being inquisitive, I look it over, and looks in decent shape, and start looking for find a price, just to see. I also look to see if the mirage drive is with it, and don't see it. So I finally find the price, and it says $500. I talk to my GF and say, not a bad deal, it's a $1700+ boat new, but would be a great deal if the drive was included and walk in the store to find the balls.

So while inside, the store is all out of used baseballs, and while inquiring about them, I ask the guy if the drive came with the boat, and not only does he say yes, but he says it also comes with a paddle. So I ask him if I can take a look at it, and when I do, realize the drive is in near perfect condition, along with the brand new Hobie Paddle that is also included. I ask how long they've had it, and he says about 3 hrs. So now I'm really starting to think maybe I need to buy this even though I already have 2 kayaks. At that point, the GF says, lets buy it, you can put it on my card!!!!!!!! I offer the guy something less than the $500 they had listed and he doesn't flinch and says "sure". Needless to say, the boat now is part of my fleet of kayaks.

Here's some pix. The drive, rudder, bottom, scuppers, paddle, everything is in new condition. I seriously doubt this boat has ever seen the water other than the rain sitting in whoevers yard it's been in since it was originally bought.

Cobra Fish n' Dive "Iowa Class" Kayak
Hobie Mirage Outback
OK Prowler Angler
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Less than $500? That is a steal.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Wow, killer score
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
mlamarca
Location: Apollo Beach, FL or Philadelphia, PA or Luanda, Angola

Post by mlamarca »

Wow, great deal!
Can I retire yet?
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

They obviously had no idea what they had. Great deal!! Imagine what they paid the poor sap who sold it to them :shock:
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Damn!!!! Nice work and you sure do have a keeper girlfriend!!!
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon »

Yes she is!!!! When I went to pick it up today, I asked them and said the guy basically came up there and said will you give me a $125 for it, and it took them about 2 sec's to say yes. So we both made out like bandits, and the guy also got what he wanted too I guess, so everyone's happy and I have a great new kayak to take my GF out in.
Hobie Mirage Outback
OK Prowler Angler
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Was there a teal T160 in the store?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

DaveR wrote:Was there a teal T160 in the store?
GRUMMBLE GRUMMBLE GRUMMBLE
Credo quia absurdum
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Battlewagon wrote: So we both made out like bandits, and the guy also got what he wanted too I guess, so everyone's happy and I have a great new kayak to take my GF out in.
Everyone is probably happy except the person who had their kayak stolen by the guy that sold it to Play It Again for $125. Just kidding.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jfreak

Post by jfreak »

Manning wrote:
Battlewagon wrote: So we both made out like bandits, and the guy also got what he wanted too I guess, so everyone's happy and I have a great new kayak to take my GF out in.
Everyone is probably happy except the person who had their kayak stolen by the guy that sold it to Play It Again for $125. Just kidding.
Unless it was covered under there homeowners insurance policy.
jd

Post by jd »

You win!
I have trouble acting normal.
Kayakpirate

What a Deal!!!

Post by Kayakpirate »

That was an awesome deal:!: The outdrive alone cost more than $400 bucks. I have the Hobie outback same color, so I know you will enjoy your new toy. It's not as fast as some of the others but very stable and handles well, loads of storage space. Best of luck with it.....
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon »

So we got the kayak out on the water yesterday finally at the Fort. We only had about 2 hours, but it was such a great day out, couldn't resist. Was not hunted down and questioned by the FBI. To make things even better, was accompanied by my girlfriend and she took it out for a test drive. As you can see, she adapted real well. Fishing wasn't great, but the weather and the company was. She didn't use the pedals as it was too far a reach for her, we'll have to see if there is a better way, maybe a different seat or something. I tried it out, and it was a bit of a stretch for me too, but when you get use to it, it moves pretty quick, and the rudder is great.

Looking forward to many more great days out on the water with her and the new boat.
Hobie Mirage Outback
OK Prowler Angler
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

You do know you can adjust the pedals ,right?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon »

Off course we did :? :lol: !!! Thanks, never even test rode one, and it didn't come with user manual, and we didn't have a lot of time to play around with it, but hey, that's what this sites for. Were taking it out this tuesday again. She is even more happy now. Thanks!!!!
Hobie Mirage Outback
OK Prowler Angler