PFTS Slam Rule Changes

shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Speak for yourself! With that kind of attitude, no wonder why the new rod broke
Why do I consider you a friend ? your an evil little man, wanna go fishing ? :lol:
0 0 1
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

Good move I like it too! Remember when like 45 inches of Trout won the upper Tampa bay event. There were a few who got the 2/3 of a slam because they chose not to sit on a Trout hole.
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Its about time that rule came about. .... Makes a whole lot of sense..
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

2/3's of us like the rule change and 1/3 doesn't...
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

SlikNik wrote:Rules were fine the way they were IMO. 90 inches of Redfish deserves to win the cash any day of the week compared to 2/3 of slam. Ask yourself which angler really had the better day?
Catching 90" inches of redfish is indeed a very good day in crappy conditions, it can be very easy on some days.

The new rule change brings the PFTS back to where it is and will stay, a slam tournament. Catching a slam is tough to do, even on a good day. The rule change requires an angler to make decisions and possibly leave an area in order to catch a different species rather than sitting on one hole all day.

Debate all you want but that is the rule and it is not changing. Time to think outside of the box on tournament day.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

"Paddle-Fishing Slam Tournament Series"

"P-FSTS" :lol:
Last edited by Tide1on on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Todd, what happened to "Let's just go trout fishing?"

:lol:
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote: Debate all you want but that is the rule and it is not changing. Time to think outside of the box on tournament day.
Just don't say something about that being the last word or the college educated donkeys will show up.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

MarkM wrote:Todd, what happened to "Let's just go trout fishing?"

:lol:
Were screwed.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28641&st

Post by Norm »

It is an excellent rule change and will only add to the quality of the tournament.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
HellOnReels

Post by HellOnReels »

Heywood wrote:
SlikNik wrote:Rules were fine the way they were IMO. 90 inches of Redfish deserves to win the cash any day of the week compared to 2/3 of slam. Ask yourself which angler really had the better day?
If you say 2/3rds of a slam you would be wrong :?

Of course, just my 2 cents
Sitting on a hole for a couple of hours in no way deserves to win over someone who took the time to find at least 2/3 rds of a slam. That person changed tatics and locations in an attempt to catch all three speices.

JMHO
Sounds like the whiners win again. :roll: I did'nt catch jack chit in almost all the tourneys. I still had a great time and congratulated the winners. The rules were fine. Deal with losing. :wink:
Rik

Post by Rik »

HellOnReels wrote: Sounds like the whiners win again. :roll: I did'nt catch jack chit in almost all the tourneys. I still had a great time and congratulated the winners. The rules were fine. Deal with losing. :wink:
Had nothing to do with anyone whining. The folks that won were the winners, they deserved the fame and fortune they received. Those were the rules then and they played within them.

The rule changes had everything to do with trying to get to the original intent of the events - that they challenge you as an angler and that it is a 'slam' event.

When it became clear that the existing rules didn't promote seeking out a slam, we tweaked them a bit. Now, you'll have to leave fish to find different fish if you are trying to win. I'd bet that anyone would find it a challenge to leave a school of hungry redfish to go find some trout and snook.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

I am in favor of the new rule change, even if I never participate, I think it was a good move and will keep anglers participating more focused on the next piece of the puzzle.

Almost all other slam tournaments I've been in or heard of have the same format so it only makes sense that this one would as well.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
HellOnReels

Post by HellOnReels »

Rik, sorry if I misunderstood. I was going by your previous post Quote" My guess is someone whined long and loud" . Don't get me wrong, I think the new rule is good. I just don't want to see these tournaments become less than they are by some people whining in your ear about every little thing. You guys put on top notch events and I enjoyed every one of them!
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I do not believe Rik nor Todd listen much to whinning but they do listen to well thought out agruments.
Credo quia absurdum
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Remember the "OLC"? C = Challenge So, changing these rules to make a real challenge do make sense.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association