Another new kayak with a motor

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Another new kayak with a motor

Post by Todd »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PNU2fhJFJ8

The boat is a Trident 13, cost without battery is roughly 2k.

I will hold my thoughts.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I think it is great. If that is what you like. I don't want it but it does look cool. I would have liked to have had it today when I was running like hell from that storm.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
SlikNik

Post by SlikNik »

I really like the way they thought out the removability and plug ins.
Would be awesome when a windy day is on tap or that super long paddle to a spot you always wanted to check out.
I will give it a hell ya. This might just be my next sled.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

My first thought was how much does it draft? If you get into skinny water and the trolling motor drags it would not be easy to lift it out other than getting out and removing the housing unit. And how much does the total package weigh? Batteries are not light. After owning a boat for over 20 years you will have some corrosion issues with that plug in.

It is a pretty cool design though, they put a lot of thought into it for sure.

Call me a purist or whatever but if you want a motorized craft get a boat designed for a motor. I will keep my paddle craft.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

I bought a bicycle.

I improved the seat so my butt wouldn't be sore.

I made it a three wheeler so I wouldn't tip over.

I put a milk crate on the back so I can carry more stuff.

I put a motor on it so I didn't have to peddle with all this stuff.

I put on a cover with a windshield so me and my stuff wouldn't get wet.

By trying to make a bicycle a car, all I have done is remove the advantages of a bicycle and I am only left with the disadvantages....

...my butt is still sore.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Rik

Post by Rik »

Well thought out except for the plug. Why did they put a skeg on that plug? All it does is add draft.

If I'm going to have a boat with a motor, I would want one that is more comfortable than a kayak. Kayaks are designed they way they are for a purpose. You can't have a higher seating position and still have paddling efficiencies. Once you have a motor on it, you really don't need it to be as narrow as most kayaks.

My guess is that folks who buy this will use it as a motor boat 90%+ of the time. Designing a different boat instead of retrofitting an existing kayak, IMO, would have been a better idea.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

They made a different boat with higher seats made for a motor. It was called the Ambush. I was kind of like a plastic Gheenoe. It went over like a fart in church. I guess people want a kayak.......only as easy as a Shearwater.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

The Ambush didn't have an integrated motor. It was a boat and you put a trolling motor on the back end of it.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I'm getting old, so in the first few seconds after watching the video I thought it was pretty cool and looked like a good idea. But then I started thinking about it. How long will the motor run on one battery? I could see myself getting 5 miles from the launch and having the battery crap out. I can't imagine that that thing paddles very easily at all with all that weight and stuff hanging down. I've had a boat and like Todd said, that plug for the motor is gonna corrode pretty quick and cause all kinds of power problems.

Nice idea, I wouldn't mind trying one out if someone lugged it down to the water for me and got it all set to go. Which leads me back to one of my other ideas that I need to get going on: kayak valets. :lol:
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

The Ambush was pants!!!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

almost Every kayak manufacturer is testing and prototyping motorized kayaks.

I've got a motorized X-Factor that I can't sell. It is cool. But you lose the simplicity.

The great thing about kayaks. They are - inexpensive to purchase, simple to use, maintainence free, cheap to use.
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
pbr

Post by pbr »

Its a nicely thought out design. The plug wont cause problems as long as they use tinned wire, and waterproof connections, one spritz with Corrosion X and you would never have to worry about it. The replaceable skeg is to give it directional stability when paddling since the aft sections are basically flat for motoring. Narrow is still good, requires that much less power and battery consumption hence longer battery life. Correct terminology is what IS the draft, and that is what I see as the biggest limitation for this motorized version on the flats particularly something that dosent flip up, the big rudder also becomes a problem in shallow water. There are batteries and there are batteries, you could use a car battery, or go for something more sophisticated like a thin plate AGM or Lithium ion. They offer much more power for the weight and easier charging. Also a Solar panel could be installed that would help battery life.

This is probably the lightest weight and most technically advanced unit on the market, it kicks up when you hit the bottom is steerable, and uses a very advanced lithium battery, it is super light weight. If I were going to go electric, I would stick this on the canoe and call it good. Only downside is it aint cheap, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... re_Code=MS
Rik

Post by Rik »

pbr wrote: The replaceable skeg is to give it directional stability when paddling since the aft sections are basically flat for motoring.
Did you notice the size of the rudder? Directional stability won't be a problem.

The skeg on the plug is useless and will only cause draft problems when you do need to get into the skinny.
pbr

Post by pbr »

I did notice it and mentioned in my above comments, but when you watch the video you will hear the fellow mention that they need it for directional stability, of course the questions is which is deeper, the rudder or the plug skeg.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

The rudder will swing up easily. That plug would have to be removed along with every thing in the tankwell.