I put it on!

Redfisher

I put it on!

Post by Redfisher »

I put my PFD on while out in the kayak for the first time today.
I will admit, I got myself into a situation where I was a little "concerned."

I was determined to get out for a little while today. Sure the forecast said 100% chance of rain and the wind forecast was just as promising but as long as there was no lightning..... :?

Things started off just fine. The wind was howling and there was some rain here and there but I still headed out. I just kept an eye out for any storms headed my way.

The problem with this plan is when you are fishing tight to the mangroves in order to keep out of the wind you can't see very far in the direction from which the storms are coming. So I am having a good ole time when I start to see what looks like trouble. I figure " no problem, I'll just work my way that way and let it blow over." WRONG! I rounded a corner and got a better look at what was coming. It wouldn't have been so bad except that this is when I also started hearing the thunder. I turned and started paddling for home but soon realized I wasn't going to make it.

With all the flashing going on over my shoulder, I decided I had better get out of the water some where as quick as possible. I made a b-line for the closest shoreline. I quickly pulled the boat out of the water and sat down beside it. Things started getting really nasty and I decided that maybe laying down would be even better. I tossed my PopTart, pulled my rain jacket over me and laid down for a while.

I noticed the thunder seemed to be getting more distant so I took a look around and decided to make a run for it. One storm had passed but a bigger nastier one was right behind it. I laid everything down and strapped it in good and made a break for it. For a few minutes I thought I might die of a heart attack long before the lightning got me since my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest.

At a time when I thought things were sucking just about as bad as they were going to suck... :roll: ....They got worse.

I guess I had around a mile to paddle and probably half of that is pretty deep water just inside a fairly large pass. With that storm on my heels the wind picked up even more and it was getting rough.

At this point I stopped and did the best I could to prepare myself for the worst. I put my glasses away, (I could hardly see anyway) I put my PFD on, I turned my VHF on CH16 and clipped it to me and I tied my wade line to me. You might say I was a little concerned at this point. I then turned the kayak towards home and turned on the heat.

As you can tell, I made it. :D
The most worried I have ever been and in a place I have fished a 100 times. I have to say, having that VHF made me feel better than anything else. Funny that while I was paddling in the Coast Guard made one of there regular announcements. I almost called back just to thank them for being there.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Your a brave man....

......for posting this, not for going out :lol:

This outta be good.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Don't think I didn't consider keeping quiet.
I think I am ready.
:wink:
I don't mind taking my licks if it helps others here.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Riiight. Like someone's gonna lick you Ryan. :shock:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Redfisher wrote:Don't think I didn't consider keeping quiet.
I think I am ready.
:wink:
I don't mind taking my licks if it helps others here.
I'll tell you this Ryan, your one of the few that can take it. Too bad some others arent more like you.

Now, I'll reserve my comments for a later time :lol:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Honestly I just want to get along. If I could call every single person here a friend I gladly would.

Now! I am sure someone here thinks that i did something really stupid so lets hear it. I truely didn't think the weather would be that bad.
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

There's too many good fishing days in Florida to go out on a crappy one.

But, I'll admit, I got a little fishing in today myself. But I wasn't crazy enough to put the kayak in the water. :lol:

And, I will also say that I never got caught like that in the kayak, but back when I had my boat I got caught in more than one nasty storm. You always think you can outrun the weather. Luckily you didn't learn the hard way that you can't.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ryan you didn't do anything wrong or dumb at all.......You assessed the situation, prepared for the worst, had all of the right equipment, and made it back home safe and sound........I am glad you posted this to show newbies what and how to handle yourself in a possible dangerous situation........I have seen perfect days go to hell in moments...........
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
pbr

Post by pbr »

Ryan, paybacks are hell, but I will never be the one to strike the first blow, not my style. :wink:
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

I got caught out in a storm last fall the wind, rain, and lightning can get bad quick.
Emotion Grand Slam Angler
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

The most worried I have ever been and in a place I have fished a 100 times. I have to say, having that VHF made me feel better than anything else. Funny that while I was paddling in the Coast Guard made one of there regular announcements. I almost called back just to thank them for being there.
I had a very similar experience last summer. It can get nasty quick.

Since I knew I was gonna be way late on my expected arrival time due to huddling up in the mangroves the CG did a courtsey land line call to my wife.

A vhf is a wonderful thing.
Rik

Post by Rik »

FlatsSteeler wrote:Ryan you didn't do anything wrong or dumb at all.......You assessed the situation, prepared for the worst, had all of the right equipment, and made it back home safe and sound........I am glad you posted this to show newbies what and how to handle yourself in a possible dangerous situation........I have seen perfect days go to hell in moments...........
ditto.

even tho I'd love to have the chance to call you stupid....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Well I can tell you one valuable lesson I did learn. When you get scared by a loud crack of thunder,don't throw your Pop Tart. Put it in your pocket. You're going to want it later.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Ryan Pop tarts are not good for you. I spent a few hours stuck under coffee pot bridge one night. The current was ripping under the bridge and thunder boomers were plenty..It sucked being alone in it all.

Glad your ok.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Been caught in a few storms myself. Nothing there to make fun of. Once you realized the situation you prepared as best you could for it.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

It's a good thing it turned out Ok for you Ryan or I'd have to kick your fried butt. :lol:

If you kayak in FL you are going to get caught in a thunderstorm. I've spent more time huddled in a mangrove that I care to admit to.

I've learned to get away from the boat which has metal and graphite rods. :shock: And my daughter learned while interning with Outward Bound to crouch on your two feet (the "lightning crouch").
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!