New Favorite Fish 07/26

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
DouGR81

New Favorite Fish 07/26

Post by DouGR81 »

Spotted a small school of fish heading towards me around 11am.. I was already standing up so I could see they were bonefish..Tossed a shrimp in their path and saw 2 fight for it and eat. I set the hook before feeling anything and the drag started screaming, which was quite worrysome since my Quantum Catalyst was low on line to begin with..within 10 seconds I was down to my mono backing. Luckily I started palming the spool and my kayak started to get pulled toward the fish. This was my first bonefish ever after 2 unsuccessful trips down south. Measured 8lbs, caught on 15# fluoro leader. All I can say is bonefish are my new favorite fish and I can't wait to go back again for some more. Heck, maybe even a permit will make an appearance.

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Congrats on the first one Doug!
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Nice Doug.

How far south were you?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

:shock: Nice, real nice!!
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I'm sorry, I thought I read you were using shrimp. Nice fish thought I guess.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
vivian

Post by vivian »

That is a beauty! Is that Blackpoint you were fishing at? I agree, once you catch a bonefish it becomes clear why so many people are obsessed with fishing for them.

Shrimp - Don't let them taunt you, I have given up on artificials for those devils and now just use shrimp or a skimmer jig tipped with shrimp. Here on Biscayne Bay they have wised up. Where you used to be able to get them on artificials, they are now more selective unless you flyfish which works even better than shrimp. The Gulp products do work at times.
TK

Post by TK »

I have hooked them on shrimp and gulps. Other than flies, Viv is right - best of luck on artificials.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
perch

Post by perch »

Nice job and welcome to"THE" club.

Way to go.
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Thanks everyone..You must know those mangroves like the back of your hand Vivian! About the shrimp thing..I'm not very good at throwing the fly yet and after driving 200 miles down there I wanted to catch one. Now that the monkey's off my back I will try a doa shrimp next time..I know David McCleaf's caught a few with them.
vivian

Post by vivian »

Now that the monkey's off my back I will try a doa shrimp
Make sure you tip it with shrimp :lol:
redfish

Post by redfish »

What a beautiful bonefish. Congrats!!!
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods