STOLEN KAYAKS

BlueWaterMD

STOLEN KAYAKS

Post by BlueWaterMD »

I had my kayaks stolen from my apartment this week. :( They were chained up in a designated kayak storage area. About 6-8 other boats were stolen at the same time. They were taken from the Post Harbour Place apartments on Harbour Island in Tampa. The boats were as follows:

1) 2008 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 16 - orange, with 2 ram tubes in the rear, 1 ram rod holder in the front, and rudder.

2) 2008 RTM Disco - orange

I filed a report with Tampa PD.

If anyone sees some kayaks matching this description, please contact me. 732-766-7263.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Keep an eye in the classifieds and on craigslist also any play it again sports or pawn shops. Theives suck!
Credo quia absurdum
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

That sucks! How'd they get them?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

That totally stinks!

After forgetting the key to my kayak lock a few weeks ago, I can tell you just how quickly a good pair of bolt cutters can free a kayak. Too quick.

(maybe some exploding boobytrap with bright orange dye would be a good thing. or a small nuclear device)
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Rik

Post by Rik »

For those keeping their kayak outside, a movement alarm is a good first line of defense. Turn it on and put it inside a hatch. If the kayak gets moved, it screams. Light and sound are thieves enemies.

Of course, if you are loading up your kayak at 4 am, you'll piss of your neighbors as there is no way to get them out of the kayak without them going off.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Use a motorcycle lock made with Kryptonite. They CANNOT be cut with bolt cutters. The FD uses a torch to cut thru them.

If you store it on a trailer and all is locked a motion detector attached to the trailer can be deactivated by you, but hide it.
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Fishaddict wrote:Use a motorcycle lock made with Kryptonite. They CANNOT be cut with bolt cutters. The FD uses a torch to cut thru them.

If you store it on a trailer and all is locked a motion detector attached to the trailer can be deactivated by you, but hide it.
My cable lock was Kryptonite. It took a strong man with big bolt cutters about five minutes to cut through it.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Would any of you be interested in a system that would alert you via a sms message on your phone that your kayaks have been moved?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29594&st

Post by Norm »

Heywood wrote:Would any of you be interested in a system that would alert you via a sms message on your phone that your kayaks have been moved?
That sounds very cool....I wonder how long a lag time there is between the movement and your notification :?:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Heywood

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29594&am

Post by Heywood »

Norm wrote:
Heywood wrote:Would any of you be interested in a system that would alert you via a sms message on your phone that your kayaks have been moved?
That sounds very cool....I wonder how long a lag time there is between the movement and your notification :?:
Good question Norm. I'll find out. Right now, a system for your vehicle is doable. What I'm trying to figure out is a portable battery operated system.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

They have lock breaking instruction on youtube, there is some guy that specializes in picking, breaking locks for everything.
"Not surprisingly, news of the imminent bumping epidemic was media catnip. Tobias was interviewed dozens of times for the kind of scare pieces that local newscasts wedge between weather and sports. It didn't take much to imagine all the paranoid scenarios: Kids study Tobias' online video, crack the lock off Dad's Glock, and put holes in things that shouldn't have them. Enterprising junkies embark on habit-feeding crime waves. Hotel rooms, no longer secure, become magnets for burglary and rape. High school truants walk the halls shimming combination locks off rows of lockers. Crime gangs use Tobias' case study to copycat the 2003 Antwerp diamond heist, while tech terrorists simply co-opt the master list of Marc Weber Tobias problems to outwit America's Keystone Kop-homeland security and generally blow stuff up. The world is unzipped. And our innocence—not to mention a good deal of our cash, jewelry, and portable electronics—is lost.

Tobias shrugged off such concerns, along with the hate mail. Scaring citizens to attention is part of his educational program. "Do you really think ignorance will keep you safe?" he asks. "Is it even an option?" But what did worry him was the growing anger among members of the Associated Locksmiths of America, the largest lock-industry trade group in the country."

check it out, John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahDQ2ZQ3e0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zy8sEj8etU&NR=1
Sully

Post by Sully »

We live in a truly sick society. Good luck finding them. Fortunately, karma is real. They will get their's eventually.
TRUE
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

This is one area where vessel registration for kayaks would be somewhat helpful..... :wink:
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

BlueCrab wrote:This is one area where vessel registration for kayaks would be somewhat helpful..... :wink:
Or a GPS tracking system, another very doable option. Hidden inside the kayak. Very inexpensive.

The system I have in mind would be very useful when traveling to tournaments. If your kayak is moved off your vehicle (in my case it would be my truck rack) it would alert you.

Does anyone have an idea where these stolen kayaks might end up?
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

BlueCrab wrote:This is one area where vessel registration for kayaks would be somewhat helpful..... :wink:
Someone hosts a registry for stolen kayaks; you can find it via Google.
Kayakpirate

Sick people

Post by Kayakpirate »

Will keep an eye out for anyone trying to sell a Kayak for a quick sale!
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.