Weimar's Getting Air

Dustin

Weimar's Getting Air

Post by Dustin »

My wife and I went up to Athens GA (enemy territory ;)) over Labor Day to visit some family. They have three awesome weimaraners. They have the personality of a lab without the brains...great dogs :D. We had a chance to take them out to a lake on the property for some swimming. As you'll see, one of the pooches gets rather excited when a tennis ball is thrown in the lake! I shot all of these with the 70-300 VR. The lighting was not good at all and I had to bump the ISO a little more than I like to stop the motion. The pictures aren't as sharp as I would like, but some came out okay.

Last edited by Dustin on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Nice Dustin. The last one's the best.

I plan on shooting some labs during field training once it gets cool. Should be a lot of fun.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Good stuff !!!
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Cool pics! Makes me wish I was a dawg. • #7, 8 my fav's.

Wait till MarkR sees this.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Nice work, Weimy's sure aint the smartest dog in the world, but I like them none the less! They are definitely a dog you need to own multiples of, to keep each other entertained.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Very cool! AND my weimaraner Max, is smarter than a Lab. He's great hunting Dove and Quail. This year I get to try him at ducks.
Number 7 is pretty cool too.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

Mark R wrote:Very cool! AND my weimaraner Max, is smarter than a Lab. He's great hunting Dove and Quail. This year I get to try him at ducks.
Number 7 is pretty cool too.
Maybe they've bred them stupid (like Irish setters) in some quarters these days, but when I was a kid, we had a Weimar that would duck hunt with any Lab or Newfie you could find. Dad ran into them in Japan after the Korean War and trained several for friends in south La. The only time we went out hunting without a dog was early in the season when the gators were still active.
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I'm comparing them to Australin Shepherds and Border collies when it comes to smarts. But they are great dogs none the less, I love them, used to have friend who had a pair, and an ex GF of mine had two, they were all great dogs.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I have to admit I've been thinkin about getting another one....except for the dog food thing. I feed him once a day 3 cups. I .... get back 6 cups.....twice a day. :shock:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I hear ya mark, I have 3 dogs (Australian Shepherd, Border cross and a Sheltie) and they are hyper efficient in making their output exceed their input!
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

John wrote:I hear ya mark, I have 3 dogs (Australian Shepherd, Border cross and a Sheltie) and they are hyper efficient in making their output exceed their input!
My Aussie is 8 and is by far the smartest dog I have owned. She can seem human like sometimes--kinda of scary. My next dog will be another one, maybe a blue.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

Nice shots. I like the red collars esp. in the first one.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I have Blue merle, she is totally blind, but amazes me everyday with her intelligence, she gets around great!

I think she is the most beautiful dog in the world, well my world anyway!

mudfish

Post by mudfish »

John, she's absolutely lovely!!! :D
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Thanks Cisco!!

She also the most affectionate dog I've ever known.
As a puppy, part of her training was to pet her a lot, to get her used to people touching her unannounced, as blind dogs have a tendency to bite when touched because they get startled by not seeing the hand approaching, so with all the hands on constant petting she turned into a very soppy dog, she just melds ito you once you start to pet her.

Funny story, we took her to puppy training (more for my wife than Kylie) and the trainer was hesitant to admit her due to her being blind and partially deaf. She thought she would not be able to keep up with the other dogs and would slow down the class. But I insisted we would make up the work if needed, outside of the training class.
After the 9 weeks was over she graduated top of the class and the instructor begged us to keep her in for advanced training!

She is a super smart dog.

I'll always have an Aussie in the house!
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Thanks for the comments and compliments 8). I don't have room for a dog now, but when I do, I'm pretty sure a Weimar will be at the top of the list. They're really great.

The same family that has the Weimar's in the photographs above also has two Australian Shepherds. They are also outstanding dogs with really nice personalities. Talk about some hair though :shock:. Here's "Buddy" (notice the two different colored eyes).