Peacock Bass

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
fishmaster892

Peacock Bass

Post by fishmaster892 »

I will be traveling down to key West Thursday morning. I wanted to stop along the way and see if I could catch a peacock. Can anyone give me some spots on the way down. I'm not gunna blow out your spot I just wanna stop and catch one or 2. Thanks for any and all help.
Emotion Grand Slam Angler
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

any and every canal you cross on US-1 in miami past homestead has peacocks...its as easy as stopping and casting...they all like bridges....park at the flyshop in miami and walk 1/2 block to the canal right there...it is snapper ck
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

BFW, what lures would you suggest to throw using spinning tackle?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

Thanks for your help Cordell I will be sure to let you know how I do.
I heard that pinns minnows work very well so I'm gunna give that a go.
bonefishwhisperer

not sure on spinning tackle but a tube jig is what I would use or even a small Mr Twister( if they still make them)...when I fish for them I dont think "casting" but "jigging"....I rarely cast more than 15ft for a peacock...for me a speed dart is the weapon of choice...they are extremely fast and irritating with killer hookset...also I rarely blind cast but walk until you see them...they are always in pairs...you cant spook them so be aggressive, the more the better....if there is none at the ck by the flyshop then turn on Kendal and park at the mall on the back side....this is snapper ck as well and there is always peacocks there...I got my 1st one there myself...if that dont work then I would go back on US-1 and somewhere around SW 165 or something there is a mall called THE FALLS....you can park across the street at Wendys and cross US-1 and lots of exotics, bass and peacocks there....if that dont work park at the IHOP near Moody canal in homestead across from Midas....not sure exactly but believe its about SW 325 or something...you will drive over it so be watching....by the way, dont let a single person know of these "secrets"...sweet :lol: good luck

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

teamshaft3 wrote:BFW, what lures would you suggest to throw using spinning tackle?
Since BFW is spinning gear challanged, I'll help you out a bit there.. although jump in the spot he mentioned.

Popular favorite lure is Rapala Husky-Jerk, if the water is a little deeper and you can't see the fish hanging aroudn structure (culverts, sprinkler pipes, shopping carts), use X-raps, in Black/Gold, second choice is Clown for colors.
If you see the paecocks guarding balls of fry, throw a top-water, ChugBug is one of my peronal favs.

Tips, work it faster rather than slow, if you see fish follow and turn away, DO NOT SLOW or STOP your REtreive, cast to the same spot again, and again, Faster is better. Sometime you also feel a Hit and a miss, repeat the same cast, jerk, jerk, pause, jerk, jerk, jerk, pause, reel fast and repeat.

Peacock will tear up the pins minnow, (but I use them in Olive color), the hooks are very weak, they will also tear up a the Rap's but not as fast, smaller lures are usually best.though.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

Its a little late but are there any spots you guys know of off 41
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Thats BFW's stomping grounds, but you could find them pretty much any place East of teh 20 mile bend. The further East from Krome Ave. you go the better chance you have.

Is your pops willing to stop and let you walk some banks along the way ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
bonefishwhisperer

how about a COTTON CORDELL??? I dont know what 41 is...very limited in travel knowledge...never been past homestead or Lauderdale or even Naples...I DO know where to find the fish but thats all....
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Rik

Post by Rik »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:I dont know what 41 is...very limited in travel knowledge...never been past homestead or Lauderdale or even Naples...I DO know where to find the fish but thats all....
Cordell,

41 = US 41 = 8th Street = Tamiami Trail

Sincerely,

Your travel advisor
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bonefishwhisperer

I live a stop light away I guess...Tamiami is SW 8th...I am SW 2nd...the only places I know that way are the places I fish myself...no wham bam thank you ma'am allowed :lol: to detailed for easy explanation...if I have to show you I probably couldnt stop until I caught them myself...better hit THE FALLS
Rik

Post by Rik »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:...no wham bam thank you ma'am allowed :lol:
You haven't been fishing for chongas yet?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Rik wrote:
Troll a Ben Franklin with steel leader and three trebels. They can make off with the bait faster then you can set the hooks.
Credo quia absurdum
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

justabucup wrote:
Rik wrote:
Troll a Ben Franklin with steel leader and three trebels. They can make off with the bait faster then you can set the hooks.
Thought this was funny...
Chonga

A girl of Hispanic origin, usually between the ages of 12 and 19, but sometimes as young as 8. Primarily found in Miami (most famously, in Hialeah), the chonga is known for her cheap form of dress, a combination of the so-called gangsta look and that of a prostitute, but can vary between the two. She wears ridiculously large hoop earrings large enough to be bracelets, which are usually gold and have their name written in them, and diamond studs high up on her ears. They may also wear thick, gold bangle bracelets in stacks on their arms. Depending on how ghetto she thinks she is, she may wear oversized men's t-shirts with tight, usually white Brazilian pants, with a colored thong worn underneath that shows through (on purpose). The chonga's shoe of choice is usually either the traditional black Reeboks, white Nike Air Force Ones, completely black Converse high tops, velvet black ankle boots, or the most popular, Chinese beaded slippers in the same matching color as their top, and worn with ankle socks.

Most recently, Chongas have begun listening to reggaeton, but also enjoy rap, R&B, and the radio stations that play these genres of music. They can also be heard frequently calling these stations to make "shout-outs" to their babydaddy. Chongas have a very distinct form of speech, a cross between poorly imitated black slang and a thick Spanish accent, which emphasizes on the vowels. Some chongas even speak entirely in Spanglish. Here are some sample sentences, and how they would be pronounced in Chonga:

Eyy yu no daa kih in fahrs pihreeuh OMAIIGA daaaaaaaaaaaaam he faaeeen!
(Hey, you know that kid in first period, oh my God, damn he’s fine!)

Eyy yu go-eentu Maariisleyseesiz quinceson Fraidei?
(Hey, are you going to Marisleysise’s quince on Friday?)

O HELLNAA bish Ima beesho azz, waash! OMAIIGAA!
(Oh hell no bitch, I’m going to beat your ***, watch! Oh my God!)

The Chonga also has a distinct form of writing as well, whether it be on bathroom stalls or their Myspace pages. A typical chonga-vandalized school bathroom stall (or wall, or classroom desk, or school bus seat, or most any other form of public property) would consist of poorly imitated graffiti in permanent marker or whiteout, usually insulting a rival chonga, warning fellow chongas to “Bak da Fuk Off”, “claiming” a fantasy crush, (for example Nelly, Bow Wow, Chris Brown, Ludacris, Chingy Lil Wayne, Daddy Yankee, etc., referring to themselves as the rapper’s “wifey” or “baby girl” or “fine Rican mami”), or simply tagging, using nicknames such as “Baby Girl” or “Brownie” or “Tweety” or “Rican Mami”.

However, being the unique individuals they are, they tend to write F’s backwards, I’s (ii) double, S’s accompanied by a Z (Sz), and when typing, lowercase q’s substituted for g’s (BaBii qiiRl) or 3’s for e’s (N3LLySzi RiiCaN PRiiNC3Sz). Examples of this (written either on public property or online) would be:
N3LLySz LiiL WiiF3y –N-MiiSz Tw33Ty --> Yall hATaSz BaKK oFF,LuDaSz BaBii qURl,Tw33Ty N SzNiicK3rSz.

The chonga may also have a special nickname for her real-life boyfriend, a chongo who may go by the name of Mauricio or Junior or Angel or Juan, but whom she affectionately calls Cisco or Cio or Coco or Snickers or Scooby. Chongas may be found riding Metro buses, the chonga vehicle of choice, in groups of 4 to up to 15 of their kind, if her cousin Kenneth is not available to give her a ride to the “flea” (explained later) on the handlebars of his stolen tricycle. Chongas can be seen at the flea market (or "flea"), Dolphin Mall, roaming the streets of Hialeah, around basketball courts, public parks, or in their cousin Junior’s bedroom.
:lol:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
bonefishwhisperer

I have yet to see this species near the water however I have indeed seen small schools of them just off the tamiami trail towards the Dolphin Mall as described...having problem with "spooking" them...I must warn you that there is also a new invasive species that "lives" under the 2 small bridges in Homestead next to the IHOP...can be aggressive enough that even a George presented properly will score :wink: be careful though, there are several and if you are persistant you can get them to compete against one another
bonefishwhisperer

well how'd you do? I went ot the spots I told you about with a roange speed dart...nothing huge but after 20 or so 3lbr's my 20ln bite tippet was shot so I left...long live the speed dart!!!