Need yak rack for Pick Up

Hank

Need yak rack for Pick Up

Post by Hank »

Anyone have a place in mind where I could just go get advice and buy a rack that fits the bed of my pick up. In other words the rack will be over the bed not the roof of truck.
Cook had exactly the kind I am seeking.
Any help apreciated. Have to haul a canoe from Lake Placid (ny) and dont care to haul another one in the bed like I did last time. Constantly worried about getting rear ended. :roll:
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

Not sure what Cook has, but you might be able to use this rack from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=66187
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
Rik

Post by Rik »

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Hank, I have the Thule rack. Osprey Bay has them, I think Bill Jacksons might?
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Hank

Post by Hank »

CooKnFish wrote:Hank, I have the Thule rack. Osprey Bay has them, I think Bill Jacksons might?
Thanks Mark.
Thats the one. 8)
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

Hank:
The Thule racks are great for the back of the pickup. But depening on you truck they can put the kayaks up rather high and if it is heavy it is it can be difficult to put them on the racks by yourself.

I ended up with a set of Hullivator and it make a wolrd of difference.
265 (9/27 - 235) ----> 230 - 220?
Hank

Post by Hank »

GO-Fish wrote:Hank:
The Thule racks are great for the back of the pickup. But depening on you truck they can put the kayaks up rather high and if it is heavy it is it can be difficult to put them on the racks by yourself.

I ended up with a set of Hullivator and it make a wolrd of difference.
Luckily for me my new bote is almost as lite as my old one. My old one weighed 14 lbs. This one weighs 18.
My truck is as high as a pine tree tho. I might have to get a running start and jump it up there. :lol:
tarponteaser

Post by tarponteaser »

Check out the review I posted on the Yakima System. I've been happy with it. I do use Hully rollers which make it easier to put the boats up on the racks, even when alone. It is great for freeing up the bed of the truck for other cargo.

regards

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... highlight=
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Here you go tarponteaser ....

:wink:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Why not just put your kayak in the bed of your truck ?
0 0 1
Hank

Post by Hank »

For hauling it around local I do but this is a 15 footer and I have to haul it back from upstate Ny. Lots of snow and ice up there right now. Scared I might get rear ended. :shock: :oops:
Chris.G

Post by Chris.G »

Cause Harbour freight has bed-extenders for about $25
Giant- size
~ Good friends will come and bail you out of jail...Best friends will be sitting next to you saying, "Man, that was fun."~
fishcometrue

Diy Home Depot Kayak Rack

Post by fishcometrue »

I got three Kayaks for Christmas with no way to haul them. Couldn't find any solution for ready made racks to haul all three. Made a trip to the fence isle at Home Depot and came up with this. It ain't pretty but it works. Nice and sturdy. I can grab the side upright and shake the entire truck. Thinking of adding a pvc sleeve as a roller to the bars.
Last edited by fishcometrue on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Nice rack there, fishcometrue.

I can't see in the pics but is there a for and aft bar to keep the whole thing from rocking? And is there anything other than the orange straps holding it in place (i.e. can you drive down the road without kayaks in the racks?)
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
fishcometrue

Rack...

Post by fishcometrue »

Thanks. Not shown in the picture is another of the brackets that "tie" the two up rights together. It is installed at the bottom on each of the two uprights. The fact that the bracket bolted to the bed rail grips the upright tightly, combined with uprights (two side by side) resting on the bed floor keeps a pivot point from happening. The thought of it shifting does bug me though. I am adding two elbow brackets on each of the inside uprights to connect them with more pipe from front rack to back rack. It will add an extra step for removal but better safe than sorry. I have changed the tie downs to include another strap, and a bow line down to the rear bumper, and a stern line from the top kayak to the first level cross bar. It seems nice and snug. I have driven it without the kayaks and can't even tell it it's there.
Rik

Post by Rik »

And probably considerably less expensive than the commercial racks.

If you would, I'm sure some folks would like a more detailed set of pictures and maybe a cost estimate.

This is one of the better DIY jobs I've seen.