Sarasota, Save the views or the bays?

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
DoubleM

Sarasota, Save the views or the bays?

Post by DoubleM »

Spoil island dilemma: Save the views or the bays?
This is interesting stuff, hopefully the old money bags don't get their way
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

"Viewshed" I have never read that one before. How do you spell gobbledygook? Perfect example of money talks and bullshit walks. The science is done. If the co. commissioners would grow a set, except Thaxton, it would get done.
Thanks for posting.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

They have already outlawed everything on those islands. In the past, every weekend had families camping on the islands and it was a favorite spot for many to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Now they've put up signs that outlaw virtually everything except breathing.

Maybe if all those homeowners would quit killing all of the mangroves along their property edge, they wouldn't have to worry about their 'viewshed' if the trees on those islands are removed.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Can you bring chainsaws on those islands? :wink:

That is ridiculous. The science is there and proven, so they forego better water quality for many for a better view for a few. Makes no damn sense.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

They listen to the few who have plenty of money to assure they get listened to.

It has nothing to do with science, it has everything to do with a lack of political will.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

I get so sick of the attitude of the general population toward conservation. Everyone is totally for conservation until it has some sort of negative impact on their personal little world. In Pinellas they just passed a ban on fertilizing during the rainy season because of runoff into the bay. I think Sarasota passed it last year but I am not positive. This is way to little way to late. Years ago we knew how bad runoff from chemicals were for the bay and lakes but we did nothing because it is mostly the rich influential people with the lush waterfront properties just like the people near that island. There should be NO grass within 50 feet of a body of water. None! You can live on the water without grass in the back yard, what is the problem. Also, half the people I know with waterfront properties that have pools pipe the filters to drain over the seawall. How good is that for the bay. I have raised hell about a few and when they change them, they just run that blue hose out to the street when they flush them where it runs down the gutter until it goes down the storm drain that empties right into the bay so what's the use. Just a couple of my pet peeves, sorry.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
bw510

Re:

Post by bw510 »

FishingDL wrote:I get so sick of the attitude of the general population toward conservation. Everyone is totally for conservation until it has some sort of negative impact on their personal little world. In Pinellas they just passed a ban on fertilizing during the rainy season because of runoff into the bay. I think Sarasota passed it last year but I am not positive. This is way to little way to late. Years ago we knew how bad runoff from chemicals were for the bay and lakes but we did nothing because it is mostly the rich influential people with the lush waterfront properties just like the people near that island. There should be NO grass within 50 feet of a body of water. None! You can live on the water without grass in the back yard, what is the problem. Also, half the people I know with waterfront properties that have pools pipe the filters to drain over the seawall. How good is that for the bay. I have raised hell about a few and when they change them, they just run that blue hose out to the street when they flush them where it runs down the gutter until it goes down the storm drain that empties right into the bay so what's the use. Just a couple of my pet peeves, sorry.
That reminds me of when I grew up staying at my grandmothers on siesa key for the summer.I'll never forget the night she told my brother and I to go to the neighbors and cram rags up this pipe with a broomstick so it would back up there washing machine because the sob's were dumping the soap and water from their washer into the canal.she explained to us (in her British accent)"They are poluting and killing the fish".
I'll never forget that..lol
justabucup

Re: Sarasota, Save the views or the bays?

Post by justabucup »

What?

The wonder that is Sorrysota is once again having arguments over lands and water quality? When they have been the vanguards of west central Florida with an environmentally sustainable and cleansing infrastructure. :roll: Well just last year they started work on a 19th century sewage treatment barrel for everyones back yard.

When it comes right down to it answer these questions.

Do the home owners own or pay taxes for the islands?

Should the "restoration" take place?

Are there other more pressing needs for the community in the Sorrysota area at this time that need funding? (like paying their water bills to Manatee county)
Credo quia absurdum
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Re:

Post by SRQGator »

Todd wrote:Can you bring chainsaws on those islands? :wink:
That crossed my mind as well. Unfortunately this is just a typical example of our spineless County Commission.

The key thing I took from the article was the example in Palm Beach of building public support through alternate channels, i.e. outside the 'viewshed'. Sarasota Bay Watch, where you at?.
1 1 12?
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Re: Sarasota, Save the views or the bays?

Post by shamus »

Be a damn shame if some careless smoker set fire to the island. Then they'd almost have to replant natural veg.
0 0 1