Drift Sox

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
DoubleM

Drift Sox

Post by DoubleM »

So on Saturday w/ the winds, I deployed my 18" drift sock which has a line of about 8'. Well, I was still significantly drifting faster than friends in their native ultimates and I'm pretty sure they were drifting w/o any toys such as a rolling anchor or drift socks. My boat is a hobie quest, which 13.5'. I'm pretty sure on Saturday that if I lifted the sock I could have crossed Sarasota bay in record time.. so.. question time.

What makes a vessel drift faster ? weight? hull design? Should I just try a larger drift sock?
Does anyone have a larger drift sock they'd like to trade for an 18" one?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Re: Drift Sox

Post by Rik »

Did you check to see if your drift chute opened up? Were you in a channel with current while they were up on a flat? Was your drift chute in front of you and attached to the nose of a manatee? Hard to believe that you were drifting faster with it deployed that Natives with nothing deployed.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

:scratch: The chute was open, we were next to each other in a deep trout bowl. I used my anchor trolley to have it's attachment point at the stern, my boat faced the same direction as wind. I know its kinda puzzling hence why I posted, I'm sick of scratching my head.

How much damage does dragging an anchor do to sea grass?

Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

chincy wrote:
Would you drag one across your lawn? Just sayin...
Please, call me Kate
Evan

Post by Evan »

Rik wrote:Did you check to see if your drift chute opened up? Were you in a channel with current while they were up on a flat? Was your drift chute in front of you and attached to the nose of a manatee? Hard to believe that you were drifting faster with it deployed that Natives with nothing deployed.
It WAS hard to believe, but I watched as Chincy steadily faded into the distance on two or three separate occasions on Saturday, despite his use of a drift sock. Could this be a weight issue? He carries more gear than we do so his boat might be 10-15lbs heavier. I am baffled as well...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Since the drift was wind related, I would think that weight would decrease the drift. More weight, more wind necessary to push it. Some boats that glide better under paddle will also drift faster but I think that the biggest factor is 'sail area'. This is baffling as Natives have more 'sail area' with higher sides.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I don't recall meeting you Chincy but I met Evan. Let me say this there is not a lot of sail area to that man. What type of profile do you have to the wind. I know that when I used to use a milkcrate it would change my paddle stroke with a quartering wind and was vastly different when I got an Inset for the back well. Also the number of rods and how they were sittling in the boat. Go outside and stick a long rod in the air. it is still going to catch a certain amount of air and it takes very little force to move a kayak.
Credo quia absurdum
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I definitely have more sail area then Evan on a horizontal scale but not vertically, I'm of average build. My seat is raised about 5"s from stock seating position. I do have a crate, which was holding 1 rod up right and I had my only other rod in my hands. I think this model may just be quick like that unless its because I'm sitting heigher and receiving that extra push from the wind.
Maybe SRQGator can chime in about his drift experiences w/ his quest.

justabucup

Post by justabucup »

What were the colors of the boats? If the slower boat were yellow then there you have your answer
Credo quia absurdum
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Don't know why but the Ultimates have a slower drift that many kayaks. I noticed it when fishing with Steve Gibson and he said he has seen it many times with other folks. Don't know why but it's true.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Think that that has something to do with decreased glide in a Native?
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Windage

A high profile kayak or canoe - or any type of vessel with be cause to drift faster than a low profile kayak. the term is freeboard the distances from the waterline to the deck.

When you stand up in the kayak you create a lot more windage

My drift chute (not sure the size) slows down the kayak significantly
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

chincy wrote:Maybe SRQGator can chime in about his drift experiences w/ his quest.
Interesting; I never noticed. I don't have it anymore but I sure miss it. Great boat, IMO. You didn't by chance leave the toilet seat up?! :lol:

I suspect DaveR's reply is where the answer lies.
1 1 12?
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Uncle Tommy wrote:
chincy wrote:
Just wanted to comment that I obtained a 3lb dive weight thats tiny, maybe 3"s x 2.5" and I tested it in the yard with no grass damage so I'm using it as a drag anchor and so far so good.

justabucup

Post by justabucup »

chincy wrote:
Uncle Tommy wrote:
chincy wrote:
Just wanted to comment that I obtained a 3lb dive weight thats tiny, maybe 3"s x 2.5" and I tested it in the yard with no grass damage so I'm using it as a drag anchor and so far so good.
Care should be used if you are standing and dragging either a weight or drift chute. If it gets caught on the bottom and your boat comes to a sudden stop you can have a legendary dismount.
Credo quia absurdum
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

justabucup wrote: Care should be used if you are standing and dragging either a weight or drift chute. If it gets caught on the bottom and your boat comes to a sudden stop you can have a legendary dismount.
Thats why I have a scotty mount upfront opposed to a RamRodder :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: