That 2am phone call....

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

That 2am phone call....

Post by Norm »

I know this is a fishing site, but it is also a collection of my best friends. I just felt compelled to share.
Wednesday night, my son and I finished up a job late. We didnt get home till 9:30. His girlfriend wasn't getting off till 11. He wanted to go see her and have some dinner. He is 24, so I only mentioned try not to be out too late since your leaving tomorrow night to be the best man in your cousins wedding at Camp Lajune.
I was exhausted, got my shower and went right to bed. Father and Motherhood are closely related. I woke up out of a sound sleep at 2am wide awake and sore from the previous day's work. I get up to go take some aleve and get a drink of water. While standing in the kitchen I looked out the window to the concrete slab where my son usually parks his truck. It was almost a full moon and very bright. His truck wasn't there, but as I was looking I heard this whine like a motor cycle winding up thru it gears out on our hard road. It wound out and then went silent and followed by what sounded like a thud. I thought ...Boy! that was strange, but went right into my room and got back in bed. Within 30 seconds...my phone was ringing :!:
It is never good when the phone rings at 2 am :!:
By all rights, I should be planning my son's funeral or at the very least, visiting him in the hospital. I and my son are blessed...and God was riding with him.
He was a very stupid and very lucky young man. He left his buddies at Applebees and was on his way home. Definitely had more than the common "just two beers officer" comment you hear. He had looked down at his cell phone in the seat and apparently pulled his steering wheel one way and when he realized what he had done he tried to correct, but the large tires caught on the shoulder of the road and his truck high sided and rolled 3 times, crashing into the back corner of a barn in a neighbors front yard, catchingthe 6x6 corner post right in the middle of the driver's door, snapping it off at the base where it was imbedded in concrete.
His truck was totalled.
Thank God he was wearing his seat belt. He gets clustrophobic with his windows up, so Im convinced had he not had them up he would have been thrown out and hurt severly or killed. As it was, aside from just being sore, he had just minor scratches on his back and each arm, a busted lip and loose tooth.
I use to always make my kids fasten their seat belts hoping that someday, it would just be second nature for them to do just that, but I knew there were lots of times when he wouldn't do it. You can't be there all the time to tell them, but something made him fasten it the other night.
I hope this serves as a wakeup call for him. I have been concerned about his drinking for quite awhile, but you know kids think they are invincible and at 24 they think they are all grown up and Mom and Dad are always just over-reacting. DUI people came out...they knew he had been drinking and why they didn't give him a DUI is beyound me, but hopefully the man who's barn he busted up was able to get thru to him. He told my son, that had he been coming home 5 hours later and had hit his grandchildren while they were waiting for their bus...he would have killed him. Even as much as I love my son...I can't argue with that. I can only imagine how I would have felt were it my grandchild and some drunk stranger hurt them.
Mr Lemyer is a recovering alcoholic...can't BS that guy :wink: I thanked him profusely for talking to my son. he wasn't mean, just direct and honest about what he was doing with his life.
Kids do tend to turn off their brain after listening to so many sermons from their parents. So to hear it from someone other than Dad will hopefully help.
Not sure what Im trying to say here friends, but never ever let you kids leave home without telling them you love them. AND never be afraid to hurt their feeling when you know they are doing the wrong thing. I don't...and now I think I may have his attention again for alittle while. Pray for me...and my son. God bless you all!
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: That 2am phone call....

Post by Todd »

Norm wrote:. Pray for me...and my son. God bless you all!
Done. Your son learned a hard lesson last night. Glad to hear he is OK.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
SILVER K

Post by SILVER K »

Glad everything turn out alright. The angels was looking out for him.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Done. Indeed he did have the opportunity to learn a lesson. Just as most on this board can, I remember many times driving home after "just a few drinks". I also remember driving home after a lot of drinks. I am lucky nothing ever happened to me or to anyone else because of me. With todays views on drunk driving, having a bottle of wine with a dinner out can cost you a lot of money and problems and embarrasment if you get stopped and that is not near as bad as what you would live with if you hurt or killed someone.

Glad it turned out well for your son.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Best wishes Norm
Credo quia absurdum
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Glad he is ok Norm..........It's a good thing we never did things like that when we were kids.........
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Glad your son is ok, Norm. Hopefully he learned his lesson. My son is around the same age, but he lives up in Jax. Every time I'm on the phone with him, I tell him to be careful out there. Then I tell him I love him. Like you said....
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Goodness, Norm, that is the call we all hope we will never get. Thankfully your son walked away from the wreck, but he was very lucky. Hopefully it pounded some sense into him about drinking and driving.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I'm glad he's OK Norm but after being in his shoes for 25 years I'm not optimistic that this lesson will be learned at age 24. If you have been worried about his drinking for some time there's a reason. Time for some serious tough love brudda. I can't tell ya how many times I drove over that Skyway with one eye shut. I have been just plain lucky that I never hurt anyone or had a run in with the law. Ain't had a sip for over 7 months now but I still don't drive by a cop without thinking of putting down my beer.
My advice, if it's wanted or not, do your best to sink this lesson deep to his soul. At 24, the lesson learned will wane with the healing of his bruises. I'm no expert. Just a lucky putz that can't have just one.
Good luck my friend!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Glad everything turned out OK Norm.

If you need anything, pick up the phone......
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
lineman21

Post by lineman21 »

Glad everything turned out ok. Reading this gave me chill bumps, Im only 22 and I have drove home after the just a few but I have also woke up at 5 am in the morning in a cold sweat wondering how the hell I got home. This will definately make me think next time.
Scott
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

lineman21 wrote:Glad everything turned out ok. Reading this gave me chill bumps, Im only 22 and I have drove home after the just a few but I have also woke up at 5 am in the morning in a cold sweat wondering how the hell I got home. This will definately make me think next time.
I'm 24 and have done the same thing as you lineman21. This story gave me the chills too.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

I thought this was Elin's version of Tiger's debacle at first. :lol:

Kidding aside. It's a rough one but hopefully a tough lesson to be learned by your son Norm. He's old enough to not "have to" listen to you, but your stiffness can make the difference of him coming home alive to you or his future family, or you having to ID him someday.

Hang tough buddy! :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rik

Post by Rik »

damn kids.......

Sometimes lessons have to be learned the hard way, regardless of age. Glad he's still around to benefit from the lesson!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

I know the feeling Norm, having a 25 yr old son who I think drinks too much as well. You are both definitely in my prayers. There's only so much we, as parents, can do but it's a good thing we keep being parents even after they're grown.
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Norm,
Thankfully your son was wearing his seat belt or this would have been a differnt story. My dad was an alcoholic who finally went clean after I bailed him out from his second DUI. Fortunately he didn't hurt anyone, but he could have. It's going to be hard but with your help he can get through this.
Seat belts do save lives. Over the weekend I responded to a high speed roll-over accident. Three young men in a Suburban, came out with a few scratches and scrapes, totaled the truck. They had been pulled over 20 minutes before by a deputy who had them put their seat belts on.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing