What reel should i get?

gsellers1245

What reel should i get?

Post by gsellers1245 »

I am looking to makeover my equipment and i was thinking of a few reels. I just wanted to get some feedback. Here is what im possibly looking to get. Can anyone make some suggestions or comments on these reels. I just dont want to buy a piece of junk. Any suggestions on different reels would be great. Price does matter, so anything under the $200 range is good

shimano stradic ci4
stradic 4000
stradic 5000
penn conquer CQR4000
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
Rik

Re: What reel should i get?

Post by Rik »

Look at the Quantums. I've been very impressed with mine. Durability is top notch except that the silver color gets rubbed off in places. Fantastic drag. I dunked one of them for several minutes almost 3 years ago (standing on a sand bar talking and retying lures, didn't notice it was in the water) and still have not yet opened it up. In both reels, the 30 and 40 size are the same reel body with different spools - the 40 actually weighs a few grams less than the 30.

The Cabos, top of the line, are $200 ish and the Bocas are $130 ish.

Look on ebay. I got a Quantum Cabo 20 for $120 brand new.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

You didn't mention what you are fishing for, what line you use OR what rod you are mating it to ... all these things matter.

My favorite under $200 for 10-15# light inshore ...
Team Daiwa Advantage 2500

My favorite under $200 for 20-30# medium-light inshore ...
Shimano Spheros 4000FB
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Okuma V System a
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

TampaJim wrote:Team Daiwa Advantage 2500
+1
1 1 12?
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

redbone rods, fishing for the common inshore fish. Reds trout snook the occasional poon...
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

I actually like my stradic 2500's and my new wright & mcgill sabalos 3000 cant wait to use the sabalos up in jville.
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

saw the okuma trios at sports authority. They look kinda cheap. But the guy at the counter praises them. Probably to boost sales but i cant find any reviews on them. I basically want to buy a reel that i can use for 5+ years with minimal problems. I do my own maintenance and take care of all my reels. I also use power pro on all my reels so i need a reel that wont tear up like my abu garcia cardinal did
-Thomas Alva Edison-
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

Based on your answers ... Shimano Spheros 4000FB, no doubt.
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

i just picked up a stradic 4000 for $50 and its basically brand new. Still looking for other suggestions too
-Thomas Alva Edison-
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Quantum. I have several Cabos and several Bocas, and I actually like the Bocas better(after quite a bit of use, they seem to run smoother than the Cabos), even though they are quite a bit less money. Have had them for at least 3 or 4 years, just had them all serviced for the first time this past winter. Nothing major wrong, but now they all run as smooth as new again. No signs of them giving up. My favorite one is the Boca 20 I got to go with the rod Noles made for me. Awesome.

Footnote: If you buy the Quantums, make sure you get the PTS models, NOT the PT. PT is performance-tuned, but the S is the saltwater model. Quite a bit of difference from the PT's, which are for freshwater.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I fish Penn Slammers. If I didn't I'd fish Quantums. Both seen to be bullet proof.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

so far a nice diversity of reels

quantum cabo
" " boca
Team Daiwa Advantage 2500
Shimano Spheros 4000FB
Okuma V System a
wright & mcgill sabalos 3000
Shimano Spheros 4000FB
penn slammers
Last edited by gsellers1245 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Thomas Alva Edison-
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

You omitted Slammers from your list why?

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

i didnt see the last post. i edited it.
-Thomas Alva Edison-
jscott

Post by jscott »

I fished a stradic 2500 for 10 years freshwater and now use it for salt. I upgraded to a 4000 and love it. I just bought a new team advantage 3000 based on reviews and recommendations and I like it better than the shimano, it is not quite as smooth on the reel but the drag is far superior in my opinion