Paddle-In and Demo Day! - JUNE 12

Rik

Paddle-In and Demo Day! - JUNE 12

Post by Rik »

Please join us on June 12th for a good old fashioned Paddle-In. If you’ve never been to one before, the rules are simple. Everyone is invited and encouraged to attend. Show up when you want, leave when you want. They generally start when the first person gets there and end when the last person leaves.

We’ll fish for a while, we’ll hang out on sandbars for a while, we’ll tell fish stories and everyone will be able to put faces with names from the forum. There will likely be a grill or two burning some burgers and dogs.

In addition, we’ll also have our version of a Demo Day. We’ve invited sponsored anglers to show up with a few of their boats. This is a great chance to get a hands on look at the different kayaks out there. You’ll get to talk to guys who actually use these kayaks.

Working on getting the rest of them. If you are, or know someone who is, a sponsored angler for another manufacturer, please get in touch with me via PM.

Whether you are a long time kayaker, a newbie or someone who has been thinking about it, this is the time to come out and see what is available without any sales pressure.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Re: Mark your calendar - JUNE 19 - Paddle-In

Post by Mark R »

A warm one?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yep, a warm one. We'll be sure to hold it where there is cool water to swim.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Getting more interesting,
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Rik, can you arrange to have no wind? I'm really sick of the big blow.
Will this be north of the equator or south of the equator?
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

TerryW wrote:Rik, can you arrange to have no wind? I'm really sick of the big blow.
Will this be north of the equator or south of the equator?
And is their camping involved???
Rik

Post by Rik »

Wind is our friend! And in June, I will welcome it!
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Rik wrote:Wind is our friend! And in June, I will welcome it!
Yea I guess maybe, sort-of. Just kinda OVER-IT right now! Might be really nice in June though,
Sledford

Re: Paddle-In and Demo Day! - JUNE 19 - Updated

Post by Sledford »

I could bring a few of the Native kayaks out but it is the same day as our monthly Goomba's
Sam
Mark R

Re: Paddle-In and Demo Day! - JUNE 19 - Updated

Post by Mark R »

Sledford wrote:I could bring a few of the Native kayaks out but it is the same day as our monthly Goomba's
I think the GOOMBA should be the 19th.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: Paddle-In and Demo Day! - JUNE 12 - DATE CHANGE

Post by Norm »

Did I hear right that this was going to be held at the Gandy Beach?
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Rik

Re: Paddle-In and Demo Day! - JUNE 12

Post by Rik »

Geez, Norm, all you had to do was read the first post :wink:

Okay, here's who we have confirmed

Malibu
Native
Emotion
Freedom Hawk
Hobie
RTM

I've contacted Hurricane, Ocean Kayak and Confluence (parent company of Wilderness and several other brands) several times to see if they'd like to have their kayaks represented by one of their sponsored anglers. Every contact has been ignored. If anyone has any knowledge of sponsored anglers from those or other companies, please have them get in touch with me.
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

hope to show up. will still be incapacitated but in the mood for some time with my guys. :wink:
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

RockinNReelin wrote:hope to show up. will still be incapacitated but in the mood for some time with my guys. :wink:
:shock: just kidding
mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Post by mjrodney »

For those who haven't yet been up that way, can you provide GPS coordinates?
Willie T
Location: St. Petersburg Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.

Post by Willie T »

mjrodney wrote:For those who haven't yet been up that way, can you provide GPS coordinates?
The first turnoff from the Eastbound side of the Gandy bridge road, State Hiway 92, (200' North of the beach) will be:

27*52'16.84"-N ------- 82*36'40.20"-W (Copy it to Google Earth exactly this way: 27 52 16.84N 82 36 40.20W )

The second turn off will be about 250' farther EAST
The mangroves along the beach (and the beach) can be clearly seen from either point.
The whole stretch of the beach along there is about a mile and a quarter long and can be seen from the hiway the whole time.
Don't worry if you miss those two turn-offs. There are about a dozen turn-offs along that 1-1/4 mile strip. And you can double back on the shell access (frontage) road from anywhere along there.
Parking is free and very informal on the open grass (really weeds) and shell areas. You can back up to the beach through mangrove windows almost anywhere for unloading, but do be courteous (although many others won't, of course) and move your vehicle out to park away from the beach.
There are a few snack trailers down toward the East end of the beach..... (no restrooms, as I recall..... although you might find a Port-O-John somewhere.) There is a big Gas Station across the hiway, and several bars and restaurants within easy walking distance.
It's a comfortable 25-30 minute paddle to Weedon Island Preserve from there... Well, maybe a little longer, but it's all right along the coast. It will take about an hour or so to paddle through the preserve... lots of shade from the mangrove tunnels. Boats aren't too bad, and most obey the speed limits.
Willie T
St. Petersburg
[email protected]

"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld