Shark in or around Tampa Bay

Flamingo to Big Bend
Devodud

Shark in or around Tampa Bay

Post by Devodud »

I was planning on fishing around Tampa in July and I was hoping to catch a shark or two, any suggestions on where to go and what kind of cut bait i should use?

I would either be paddling a 17' canoe, or landbased/wading (I would rather not catch a 7' lemon/bull while wading)
If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Shark in or around Tampa Bay

Post by DaveR »

Clam Bar. Cut mullet.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

would I drop my baits on the grass flats or in the deeper water off of the bar
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Eastern edge and let the tide take them where they will. BTW. Don't Fuc$%g wade!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
pcronin

Post by pcronin »

If your going to be on the beach, and have a decent amount of line to play with (500+yds). Use that canoe to drop some big cut baits or live ones (lady fish work nice and are always a good time on light tackle) as far as you have line for off the beach. (I like to drop about 300yds off with my 6/0 penn). Get a nice chair, a full cooler and keep and eye and ear on that rod! But make sure you have the right equipment to handle and revive a large shark before you drop that bait!
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

I would prefer not to paddle off of an actual beach with the canoe, if a wave crashes over it I am swamped, it does not have the advantages of having scupper holes.

So I am guessing I would dangle my bait under a balloon for the clam bar

As far as tackle i would be able to use anything from a large penn Spinning outfit with 65 powerpro all the way up to a 9/0 penn with 150 mono, although I would prefer not to use the larger stuff out of the noe.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

make sure to tie the balloon on well...turtles eat them. There are lemons and assorted others near 4th st / I 275 and Gandy beach area but not much tidal flow to take out a bait unless you get real close to the bridges in case you didn't want to go all the way to clam bar. The canoe would work well as a drop bait boat there if it ain't real windy very small likelyhood of any swamping.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I would rather not catch a 7' lemon/bull while wading
true that..there are some even bigger ones at the spot I just mentioned..
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

mauso1 wrote:make sure to tie the balloon on well...turtles eat them.
They do make biodegradable balloons. Please do not use the other type.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

any suggestions as to where I can buy biodegradable balloons in town
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Devodud wrote:any suggestions as to where I can buy biodegradable balloons in town
I think Holy Mackerel Tackle sells them.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Damn Todd haven't you figured out that Rik gave you a box of condoms yet !! How many ribbed ballons have you seen ?
0 0 1
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

DaveR wrote:Eastern edge and let the tide take them where they will. BTW. Don't Fuc$%g wade!
A few summers ago I was wading out there after shark fishing. I had walked a ways from my kayak and turned around to see a full grown bull shark swimming between me and my kayak. A shouted whisper got cooknfish's attention and I watched his eyes go wide as he spotted the massive shadow swimming by me.

Lucky for me the shark did not feel like investigating the fat man wading or I might not be here today to tell the story.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

"Lucky for me the shark did not feel like investigating the fat man wading or I might not be here today to tell the story."

That is exactly why I have never waded. I stay in my kayak...... :wink:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
The Below Average Angler

Post by The Below Average Angler »

My wading days are long gone as well..................................getting a hit from a stingray cured me of wading. I'll stay in my boat, thank you.
Jason
Rik

Post by Rik »

I was wading with a buddy one morning in northern Sarasota Bay just as the sun was peeking over the horizon. I was walking towards where he was standing in waist deep water when about 25 small fish tried to climb up on his shoulders. Then a 6 foot shark ran into him. Just swam right into him. Made him jump which spooked the shark big time. The shark did a big flip to turn around and run which soaked my buddy.

We spent the rest of the morning drifting deeper flats fishing from the boat....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley