Shark In Tampa Bay REDO

Flamingo to Big Bend
Devodud

Shark In Tampa Bay REDO

Post by Devodud »

I made the drive all the way over to the Tampa Bay to try and catch some trout, reds, macks, whatever was biting. I brought a buddy from work that had never been paddle fishing before. We had a great morning, limiting out on 18"-20" trout in an hour, and catching a bunch of macks and lady fish. The day was still young and aI got an idea. The last time I was fishing Tampa Bay I tried to catch some sharks and got nothing but some chewed up cable. I couldn't let the sharks beat me, I wanted another try. I didn't have a rod that was really up to catching a large shark, but I did have a spinning rod with lots of 40 lb PowerPro and I could make it work. So off I went in search of a school of large mullet, I found them and snagged one. I then found a nice sand bar to set-up on and deployed a bait on 9 feet of cable. It took all of 5 minutes to get hit. The shark took me all the way to the spool (I had over 500 yds of line on this reel) before I could turn him. A one hour fight then ensued.

The tide had not gone out as much as I had anticipated, so when I got the shark to the sandbar he could still swim, and easily. The shark kept on charging us and then running out again, this could have gone on all day. I had to turn control of the rod over to my friend so I could try and get control of the shark.

Every time I grabbed his tail he would shake me off. So I made a lasso out of my anchor rope, the next time I grabbed his tail I put the lasso over his tail and it worked. I the maneuvered the shark over to the kayak and gave my buddy the tail so he could pull while I lifted the shark into the boat.

The shark measured to ~7ft. Not bad for the tackle that I brought. Now it was time to paddle back to the truck for some shark steaks.

And they were good, I cooked up a bunch of fried chunk and steaks and brought it to work where everybody ravaged it, there were no leftovers.
If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!
fishindad

Re: Shark In Tampa Bay REDO

Post by fishindad »

That's some serious hard core stuff there. Awesome photos! I was wincing looking at some of them.

Fishindad
bradecca

Post by bradecca »

As you can tell, I do not post much. But I got to say that you two guys have HUGE ones!
What kind of shark was it?
What part of Tampa Bay were you at (I want to stay away from that spot).
Incredible job.
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

It was a bull shark.

We were fishing on the bay side of the Skyway Bridge. There were dozens of 3'-5' sharks circling us the enitre time we were dealing with the big shark. Some got as close as 15 ft before turning. It was a fun day though.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Wow, sounds like an experience and great photos to prove it. WTG :thumbleft:

Paddle-back to the truck must had been fun :cool:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Scottie beam me up....no intelligent life here. :(
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

You're nuts. And you're lucky as hell you still have them.

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
BiGDiLL

Post by BiGDiLL »

This is insaine NICE WORK!
Offlander

Post by Offlander »

Great catch!!!!! Is that a Bullllllll Shark? :cheers:
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
BadBackcast

Post by BadBackcast »

Wow!

I saw one of those around the same size about 50 feet off the beach at Dunedin Causeway on Saturday. When I warned the folks on shore, they acted like I didn't know what I was talking about.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

The four most dangerous sharks to a human, identified.
They are: the Great White, Oceanic Whitetip, Tiger and Bull sharks.

Read more

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

"will immerse the body of their love ones in the Ganges River to be purified after death, lure the sharks into its shallow waters where it eats the corpses"

I guess its a good thing that I am not a corpse then :thumbright:
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

Dude, you got some marbles. That is crazy.
Wuluf