Stradic ci4

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Stradic ci4

Post by krash »

Thinking of picking up a new reel for inshore use.. have a Stradic 3000 & 4000 FI matched to Star Plasma rods, and the size is perfect for my apps.

Looking into the new Stradic 3000 Ci4.. anyone have this reel in 2500/3000/4000 size .

Feedback appretiated.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
TampaJim

Re: Stradic ci4

Post by TampaJim »

IF you are going to pair it with a high-end lightweight rod and 8-10# braided line, for use with artificial lures ... go for it. IF not, save the coin - buy a Symetre for half the price.

For what it is worth, the Sustain at $250 is a GREAT reel and the Team Daiwa Fuego is VERY tough to beat and in the same general price range. Either of them will pair nicely with a quality rod.

Two things to always keep in mind ... 1) If your gear isn't properly paired and matched to the task at hand, it simply won't perform well (at any price point) and; 2) The higher the expenditure, the more demanding it will be in respect to maintenance and security.
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

TampaJim is right about pairing it with a nice rod. If you are spending the money on that reel, bottom line is you are going for the weight savings. I have my 4000 on a custom SCIV rod for plugging topwaters and lipped baits near the groves. I also use it for soft baits on the flats when need be. It casts a country mile and handles braid like a dream. I have a Symmetre 4000 as well and there is just no comparison in quality and performance (in addition to weight). I can cast all day with that combo and hardly notice it. You can't say that about too many structure setups. I mostly use Daiwa reels but this might be the reel that makes me go back to Shimano exclusively.

Also, the Ci4 reel falls under Shimanos Platinum service pricing and guarantee.

Post by 0119 »

I got the first one to hit my county last year october. It does not have shimano's platinum service as it is made in Malaysa. Shimano only provides that service to its flagship models. Its light and a joy to use all day. Its strong but small for a 2500 size and I wouldnt use it for heavy lures or ones that make alot of torque. The size of the eva foam grip was no problem at first but the more I used it the more I disiked it. Maybe my opinion was sku'ed when on my first big snook, the eva foam simply slipped right off the spindle. Shimano wont replace the simple foam piece and you have to buy the entire handle assembly. Stupid.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I thought I read somewhere about the replacement parts being an issue..
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.

Post by 0119 »

Only recently after a year on the market, is the spare spool available. But the foam grip will never be available except as the entire handle assembly. Just like I cant get replacement grips for Curado D's after the septon material gets all gooey. No more shimano for me.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

TampaJim wrote:IF you are going to pair it with a high-end lightweight rod and 8-10# braided line, for use with artificial lures ... go for it. IF not, save the coin - buy a Symetre for half the price.

For what it is worth, the Sustain at $250 is a GREAT reel and the Team Daiwa Fuego is VERY tough to beat and in the same general price range. Either of them will pair nicely with a quality rod.

Two things to always keep in mind ... 1) If your gear isn't properly paired and matched to the task at hand, it simply won't perform well (at any price point) and; 2) The higher the expenditure, the more demanding it will be in respect to maintenance and security.
I don't seem to have that issues as I fish ugly stiks and sahara's in my $200 kayak. Somehow the fish still make it to the boat - I bet they're pissed. "Damn I'm being landed by this? Really? I'm never going to hear the end of this."

I may go old school soon and just use a spool of line..."Old man and the sea" style.

But seriously...I beat the hell out of my all my gear (camera, rod/reels, boat) and it makes things easier not to sweat things out on the high end.

I'm more of a 4runner guy than a Landcruiser.

That said, I'm not bringing much to the table on feebcak for the reel you mentioned, just saying that lower end could be a consideration.

My $.02.
JB
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Matching with a quality rod is a must for every reel. I have several Stradic FG's, years old and years of good service, also have a Saro's3000 , and a couple Symetre's 2500's, even a Spheros or 2, and several Sahara's so I've beta the bushes pretty good with Shimanos. Have my fair share of Penns old school 450/550750 gold ss's..

This reel will likely be paired up with another Star Plasma, just looks way cool when all yer rods match.

The intent of this reel is light-weight, loaded up with 10# braid, mainly casting soft plastic, DOA Shrimp/Terrorize/small jerk baits in 2" to 6' deep flats, and many many cast in a day. I use my 4000 series for plugging.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

pbr

Post by pbr »

Wavespin 3000 weighs 10oz, great drag, hold plenty of line, kills windknots,very pretty, and $88.
Rik

Post by Rik »

pbr wrote:Wavespin 3000 weighs 10oz, great drag, hold plenty of line, kills windknots,very pretty, and $88.
Does the Wavespin reel come in aqua camo like their rods? The fish wouldn't stand a chance!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pbr

Post by pbr »

Rik wrote:
pbr wrote:Wavespin 3000 weighs 10oz, great drag, hold plenty of line, kills windknots,very pretty, and $88.
Does the Wavespin reel come in aqua camo like their rods? The fish wouldn't stand a chance!
Not really their rods, Doug Hannon sold the rights to the guide design to Castaway Rods, spoke to them on the phone super people to deal with and evidently make a very good rod already.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

If they want to send me one 7' light spinning, 8-15# action.. I'd try it til then I'll consider it a gadget and not invest.

pbr

Post by pbr »

Picked up a couple of Fenwick HMG rods 7' 6-12 lbs for a friend that was looking for a decent rod in the $120 range, was going to get a couple of St. Croix Premiere for him but was impressed with these for same money, lighter, better action, better finish, nice reel seat, might want to check them out. Got em at Economy tackle.
SlikNik

Post by SlikNik »

I own the 3000, like the handle better. Very lightweight, awesome if you throw artis all day, so pair it with a light weight rod and your wrist will thank you for it.
10 lb red powerpro sure looks purty on it too :cool:
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

I have a 2500 and like it alot. I definitely cut a noticeable amount of weight off when compared to the stradic 3000 that used to be paired with that rod. Has performed well under pressure. The only downside is the handle, I prefer larger handles but have gotten used to the smaller one.

If it breaks you could always replace it for an aftermarket handle, they might be a little pricier but they are cheaper than buying a new handle assembly.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I really like the Star Plasma rods. I also have same or similar reels on Star Stellar Lite, Shimano Terramar, Falcon Coastal, Redbones, and a CalicoJack or 3.

Have not tried many other vendors rods, its hard to find a place with a good selection of anything in multiple models. I've always had good luck with Star and Redbone rods.. but most Redbones have been destined to freshwater duty due to the tiny tip-guide and line to leader knots.