A rolled smoked turduchen for Christmas

Mark R

A rolled smoked turduchen for Christmas

Post by Mark R »

The thaw.

The fix'ns for the brine (courtesy of vlap)
Vlaps Turkey Brine

2g Water
1 1/2lb Salt
1c Sugar
2t Bayleaf
2t Dry Thyme
2t Peppercorns
2t Juniper Berries
2t Basil (Dry)
2t Ginger (Dry)
2t Marjoram (Dry)
2t Sage

Boil ingredients for 3 min and cool. Brine turkey for 12-24 hours.
I brined it for 36 hours. vlaps brine is meant for frying but I use it for baking and smoking as well.

Now we bone the chicken.

And bone the duck

And now the turkey that was butterflied also. Oh, this is only one of the turkey breasts.

The arms..oh...wings and legs were removed to speed de-boning. I ended up only using the breast meat for the rolls.

Here we have TDH roll #1 filled with my cranberry and apple sauce in the center and a coating of evoo with crushed fresh basil, sage , rosemary and thyme.

And rolled up it is.

TDH #2 filled with my fresh chorizo and a coating of evoo with crushed fresh basil, sage , rosemary and thyme

and rolled.

Now we wrap TDH #1 covered in my dry rub in a bacon weave.

And TDH#2 covered in my dry rub wrapped in the original turkey skin.

TDH#2 re dusted with my rub and ready for da smoker!

All the wings and legs gettin ready. Jus a sprinkle of dry rub.

Now we got everything on da smoked rack, wings legs and TDH's (bodys).

And 3.5 hours later with internal temps of the TDH's at 170F, they are pulled and rearranged into the "new" smoked Beast.

And a final pic of the sliced thd's sliced next day.

They looked much juicer at dinner. Sorry no plated pics, at that point time, getting it on the table and...buzz were working against me. :roll:
Was yumimmy!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: A rolled smoked turduchen for Christmas

Post by jbdba01 »

Dang Gina!! That's a $110 item store bought. Quail/Cornish hen in there and you're El Fuego. I liked the bacon touch.

It will put my lonely Boston Butt to shame. Ya gotta luv the butt though.
JB
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I wonder who Gina is? She single?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Sorry man...she's taken. From the dreaded Urban Dictionary....my highlight in red.
  • Dating back to the Martin Lawrence television series "Martin" (1992-1997), this phrase refers to Martin's partner Gina, who is described as his "more level-headed, longsuffering better half." Martin used this expression to respond, exasperatedly, to Gina's criticisms or expectations, which were often quite reasonable on her part.

The phrase can also be used to express, in a positive light, shock and awe - much in the manner of "damn girl, you looking fine!" It is similar to other "whoa!" type exclamations that are meant to convey that one is taken aback.
    Damn Gina! (works best if the recipient is aware of the expression's context in the history of the 1990s Martin sitcom)
JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Not quite as much space on the grill as you, but and 8lb butt is tasty enough. Feeds 8-10 - depending on how many seconds and the size of the bone.

Easy seasoning - salt, pepper, garlic powder - roughly the same amounts for all spices. Rub in. Cook for 5 hours in green egg or indirect heat in gas/charcoal - 200-225 degrees. Use water pan if in charcoal/gas grill. Very basic compared to your fixings.

Remove at 155-159; let sit for 20-30 min more to finish cooking itself at room temp.

New Year sides black eyed peas with rice, collard greens, corn bread. Couple cold adult beverages. Polish off with Red Velvet cake. "Dems some GA fixings" in the FLA. Just need some fatback in there somewhere...

"Dang Gina - what'd you do to that hog!"

JB
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

I feel a serious case of man love coming on. A frigging Turdukin Fatty, I gotta try that. Awsome.

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215