Flamingo in April

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Keith B

Flamingo in April

Post by Keith B »

Planning on heading here for a couple of days of fishing and camping. What can I expect having never heard much about it or been?
Thanks for he help guys.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Flamingo in April

Post by krash »

Skeeters.. and lots of fish if you survive the skeeters
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

super :cry:
Ok maybe fishing is the least of my concerns. I have done some reading and have found out that there are crocs and gators as well as water moccasins and possibly panthers :pale:

Is camping here and fishing a couple of days not such a good idea?

I would really hate to end my spring break fishing trip by becoming the natives buffet :shaking:
Rik

Post by Rik »

You should go in May. "Anyone can be a fisherman in May."

Don't forget the lions, tigers and bears too.

Long sleeves, long pants, socks, head net and a couple bottles of bug juice. You'll be fine. It's an experience.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Thanks Rik. The problem is I cannot go in May. I have to go when I have time off and that is spring break. Coaching and teaching will keep me close to Atlanta in May.
Thanks for the info. I am starting to get things planed out. I will definitely be bringing all the long sleeved shirts and fishing pants I own along with the buff and bug juice.
Might even bring the AR15 just to help with the non fishing predators :wink:
Rik

Post by Rik »

Rik wrote:You should go in May. "Anyone can be a fisherman in May."
Google it. Not my quote. I'm not old enough.......
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

No weapons in the National Park, so the critters have the advantage.

What type fishing do you plan, shore bound or boat ?
You planning to camp at the park campground, or on islands, chickiee's and/or islands ?

Vivian will chime in soon, she has all the data if you plan to paddle, camp, fish.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Rik wrote:
Rik wrote:You should go in May. "Anyone can be a fisherman in May."
Google it. Not my quote. I'm not old enough.......
That's Papa Hemingway quoting JayB.
Please, call me Kate
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

We are planning to kayak in and camp. I guess we will camp on an island but not sure. I am trying to get as much info as possible to make better decisions.
We will be fly fishing but we will have the spinning rods with us too.
I look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks
Evan

Post by Evan »

I did a 4-day trip out of Flamingo last year in January. We launched from a small cut in the mangroves and approached Hells Bay from the East (the "back way"). There are several Chickees in that area that we camped on. Some ground sites too, but I would stay away from those if you can, since they get buggy and the coons will drive you nuts at night. You must have reservations for either chickees or ground sites, they must be made no more than 24 hours in advance, and they must be made IN PERSON at Flamingo, so be prepared.

We paddled somewhere between 6 and 12 miles each day (fishing and traveling combined). Fishing was slow because of the cold, but I noticed it got better and better the closer we got to Whitewater Bay. Also didn't realize that everything East of Hells Bay is mostly freshwater. Should have just paddled directly out to WW Bay on the first day.

The bugs are no joke. I've heard the tarpon are active in April, but not sure you could convince me to go down there after February. If you do, here's a valuable lesson: don't return to the chickee at dusk (when bugs are most active). If you find yourself out fishing as the sun is setting, paddle out into the middle of the biggest body of water you can find and wait until about 30 minutes after full dark to head back in. Trust me on that one.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote:don't return to the chickee at dusk (when bugs are most active). If you find yourself out fishing as the sun is setting, paddle out into the middle of the biggest body of water you can find and wait until about 30 minutes after full dark to head back in. Trust me on that one.
That applies to virtually all camping in the everglades. Even the outer islands. Best bet is to mix up a big drink, paddle out, anchor and watch the sunset for that miserable hour or so that the flying teeth are around.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Guys this is exactly what I am looking for! Keep it coming. :cheers:
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Evan wrote:I You must have reservations for either chickees or ground sites, they must be made no more than 24 hours in advance, and they must be made IN PERSON at Flamingo, so be prepared.
This point is not to be missed. You can make all the plans you want but remember you may show up and the site/sites you want may be taken by someone who showed up 5 minutes before you. You need to leave some room for flexibility in that regard.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Understood :salute:
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I may be mistaken, not a camper, but I believe you need permits to camp, especially on the chickee's.

Lot's of people launch at the Marina, and paddle out to the West, N-West.. there are beautiful untouched beaches at the cape, camping is allowed. You can alos camp in the campground and day paddle either direction to find all sorts of fish withing yards of the shoreline.
Last edited by krash on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

You do need permits, that is what Evan was referring to with the in-person, 24 hrs in advance reservations. I have camped both the back, and the beaches out of Flamingo. The best fishing, for me was towards the beaches, and the canals that open to the beaches. The scenery, without a doubt, is better in the back IMO. Your experience might be different though, as most of my experience down there has been in February. I don't think you can go wrong either way.