First post and its a question

sealey08

First post and its a question

Post by sealey08 »

Been doing research on the tarpon 140 vs. tarpon 160. Can anybody comment on the ride comparision and is the 160 any smoother/faster in the water? Is one a more stable platform than the other? And finally, is $900 for a new tarpon with rod holders, rudder system, seat, and paddle a good deal? Thanks to all in advance and look forwad to spending some quality time paddling on the water, hopefully soon.
Rik

Re: First post and its a question

Post by Rik »

Two different kayaks, the only thing they really share is the "Tarpon" designation.

The 16 is faster, smoother, less stable than the 14 (but not unstable)

To decide between the two, you should first decide what it is you want to do with your kayak. If 5+ mile days are your norm, get the 16. If you'll just do the poking around most folks do, the 14 will be fine. Some folks talk about hull slap with the 14, you don't get any with the 16.

More folks are able to stand in a 14 than a 16 - if standing is something you want to consider - though neither is really a stand in kayak.

You also have to consider storing and transporting. The 2 foot difference between the 14 and 16 is huge when it comes to storing and transporting.

$900 for new is pretty good. You can find used for less but they are used......

If you are looking at new, the dealer should be able to let you try both.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

The 140 and the 160 are very different boats. The 140 is more stable and a bit slower than the 160 due to it being 2' shorter. A rudder on a 160 is almost mandatory as it is hard to tun around in a 16' kayak. The $900 price is a good price, especially with a rudder.

Due to the boats being quite different I would recommend test paddling both before you purchase.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote: A rudder on a 160 is almost mandatory as it is hard to tun around in a 16' kayak.
ditto

Forgot about that.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Rik wrote:
Todd wrote: A rudder on a 160 is almost mandatory as it is hard to tun around in a 16' kayak.
ditto

Forgot about that.
I have always owned 16 foot boats and never liked the rudder. I simply went to a 260 paddle where most folks use a 220 or 240. Being long waisted the extra length in the paddle gives me much more speed, endurance and I can crank down on the big touring blades and stop, turn or re-start the kayak in a heartbeat. Just another opinion... :study:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I always suggest buy the longest kayak you can afford so long as you have room for it. One benefit of the longer boat that no one has mentioned is the 16 footer is easier on the body once it's in the water. (Less effort to keep it moving)

900.00 new is a good price. Keep in mind this will not be your last kayak and one day it will be for sale. I like used because the depreciation is less when it comes time to sell.

Welcome to the addiction.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS