Insect Reppelent and Plastic parts

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Rik

Re: Insect Reppelent and Plastic parts

Post by Rik »

and clip one of THESE to each ear.

One important but sometimes learned the hard way lesson is that zippers, ALL zippers, should stay closed and should be opened for a less than minimal amount of time. Specifically the tent zipper for all those whose mind just wandered.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Great advice rik. I even heard from a buddy today that he has had bugs go up his sleeves where the button is on the cuff.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Two words. Pee bottle
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Kayakpirate

Post by Kayakpirate »

Very interesting post..... In the next few minutes going to order the twin pack from Cabela's.
Thanks guys! :salute: :salute: :salute:
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Been using DEET for a hundred years. I think I did ruin a watch once, when I was about 13. Be careful with the stuss and it will be your best friend in the Everglades.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Kayakpirate wrote:Very interesting post..... In the next few minutes going to order the twin pack from Cabela's.
One pee bottle should be able to handle it
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Evan

Post by Evan »

Rik wrote:
Kayakpirate wrote:Very interesting post..... In the next few minutes going to order the twin pack from Cabela's.
One pee bottle should be able to handle it
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just make sure to put the bottle in a secure place, lest you roll over in the middle of the night and accidentally crush it, soaking your sleeping bag in pee (yep, speaking from experience here).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I use a Nalgene bottle. My camping buddies know not to steal my blue bottle! Only one mishap in over a decade of use. It only takes once to make damn sure the lid is screwed on tight!

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Rik

Insect Reppelent and Plastic parts

Post by Rik »

Small mouth or wide mouth Nalgene?
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

good point about the pee bottle in the tent. Glad I wont be sharing a tent with anyone!
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Rik said
Small mouth or wide mouth Nalgene?
Now that's getting too personal :bounce: :-B
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

Are those off fans really any good?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

No. Saw a program about some of the worst new products. It was front and center.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

backinthemangle

Post by backinthemangle »

There's only one insect repellent that WORKS on everything (yes, including no-see-ums), WON'T screw with
your DNA, AND won't melt your fly line:

Get yourself a few mangrove pods. Mash 'em up and boil 'em down in water, then strain through a paper towel
or coffee filter and ditch the pulp. You'll wind up with a "tea" that makes the best natural insect repellent on
Earth.

Now, there are ALMOST no reasons to take the stuff internally, because it's a very powerful astringent (i.e.,
you will not have a bowel movement for DAYS!), but it will close up AND disinfect a cut in a heartbeat. The
ONLY time you should EVER take it internally is if, say, there's an outbreak of a drug-resistant strain of cholera
like 01E1Tor and you're literally dying of the bloody squats. But externally it's quite safe.

(It's also an extremely powerful thyroid blocker, so if there's a nuclear war or a meltdown before you get back
from fishing, you're all set.)

Also, when thoroughly dried (whole) and the ends clipped, they make a passable cigar.

What, you thought the old-time Florida Indians ran down to Walgreen's?

Dig some earwax out with a car key, smear it on your palm, spit on it, mix it up and smear it on your skin.
Works like a top, but you can't produce enough earwax to keep you going for more than a day. But it'll
keep 'em off of you long enough to get to some mangroves.

If you're gonna hang out in the bush, LEARN the bush. There's a REASON why almost every single joke we
tell on the reservations and reserves (a) starts with "Two white guys go into the woods....." and (b) ends in
some incredibly hilarious fatality/maiming/mauling/itching.
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

backinthemangle wrote:#1

There's only one insect repellent that WORKS on everything (yes, including no-see-ums), WON'T screw with
your DNA, AND won't melt your fly line:

Get yourself a few mangrove pods. Mash 'em up and boil 'em down in water, then strain through a paper towel
or coffee filter and ditch the pulp. You'll wind up with a "tea" that makes the best natural insect repellent on
Earth.
Boil them for how long?

BFR
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajst/art" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 4668/28172

A paper from the African Journal of Science and Technology entitled:

INSECTICIDAL ACTIVITY OF EXTRACTS DERIVED FROM DIFFERENT
PARTS OF THE MANGROVE TREE RHIZOPHORA MUCRONATA
(RHIZOPHORACEAE) LAM. AGAINST THREE ARTHROPODS

They say it works, too... :)
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"