Fish Grip

BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Fish Grip

Post by BigFlyReel »

I have a Boga Grip and one of the Rapala knock-offs. Both are heavy, make lot of noise in the kayak and require preventive maintenance.

Anyone have anything really good or really bad to say about the Fish Grip?

____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
gatordave

Re: Fish Grip

Post by gatordave »

Have one and love it. When it's clamped shut there is no getting out of it. And if you drop it they float.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

BigFlyReel wrote:I have a Boga Grip and one of the Rapala knock-offs. Both are heavy, make lot of noise in the kayak and require preventive maintenance.
My Boga Grip fits perfectly in a rod holder. Heavy and noisy? Never thought that. As far as maintenance a Boga Grip is bullet proof, I never even wash mine off after use and it is still like new 5-6 years later.

The fish grips do work though.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Todd wrote: Boga Grip is bullet proof, I never even wash mine off after use and it is still like new 5-6 years later.
Truth!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Capt. Jack

Fish Grip

Post by Capt. Jack »

My wife and I swear by Fish Grips. A lot cheaper and easier to handle IMO.
Our tradition is that of the first man who snuck away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Is there a "Fish Grip" in that picture? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Fish grip working just fine for me after 2 years ....now if only I could catch a fish...
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Chevy vs Rolls Royce.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I have both and have used both. Over 50% of the time I use neither, preferring to use my hands. There's just something satisfying about redfish and/or snook thumb at the end of the day. I also think both devices lead to other types of improper handling of the fish while they minimize actual human contact.

So here's my take. Both work about the same although the Boga grabbers are much easier to get in the mouth of the fish. However, as Dave says, Chevy vs Rolls.

Longevity has to be highly in favor of the Boga. That is one excellent piece of equipment. I'm not sure you can abuse it enough to make it break. The 'stainless steel' they use is real stainless steel. But you do pay for that. You pay a lot in comparison.

The fish grip is plastic. Over time, the sun has to have some effect plus just general fatigue will take it's toll. Just understand that it won't last forever like a Boga. It does hold a fish, though, and it holds them well.

On both, I would highly suggest a tether line to the boat instead of a float. In a kayak you're not walking around with it like you do in a power boat. You basically use it in the same place every time. I've heard stories of fish disappearing under the surface with a Boga and float attached. Even though the Fish Grip floats, that's only good if there is no fish attached or you are aware that it has fallen over in time. And if you go the float route, test that the float will actually float the Boga.........

Plus, the tether can be used as a temporary stringer so you can put the fish back in the water while fiddling with a camera or stop it from flopping and getting slime all over the boat all over while you prepare the fish bag to take it home for dinner.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

I stopped using the fish grip because of the damage it does to the fishes mouth. Try clamping it down on your skin and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote:Plus, the tether can be used as a temporary stringer so you can put the fish back in the water while fiddling with a camera or stop it from flopping and getting slime all over the boat all over while you prepare the fish bag to take it home for dinner.
Putting the fish grip on the fish and putting them back in the water is part of my process if I am going to take a picture. Fish spends less time out of water and one less thing to manage as you get the camera set. I have had my fish grip for over 3 years with zero problems. :thumbright:
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I stopped using the Fish Grip the first time I used it because of the force that the visegrip-like lock uses to crush the mouth of the fish. Try clamping that bad boy on the skin between your thumb and forefinger and tell me that it doesn't do some harm.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Yeah... what Dougr81 said. :bounce:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~

Post by 0119 »

I think the lock wears out quick and you can only depend on it to hold tight when its newer. Still cheaper to replace it than buy a Boga and the bait monkey requires I use my money on my reel fetish. Man why is it everybody's got a trophy fishin' partner and I only get a 70 year old grumpy cracker to fish with?
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

for those of you worried about the fishes mouth try this.....

Take a ruff file and wear down the grip surface down some....reclamp the grip and test distance between faces...keep working it down till you see just enough gap to fit the skin between your thumb and pointer finger between but touching firmly.....take a fine file or sandpaper and smooth out....this will allow you to use the griper without hurting the fish.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I got a fish grip free at a local tourney, I took a dremel to mine as it does have very sharp and potentially damaging. However I've not used it yet, been fishing here for 10 years, fished for Pike in UK for 15 years before that and never used a lip gripping tool.

I use barbless hooks, and try my best to unhook my fish without touching them.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton