Kayak Safety Light

Swamprider

Kayak Safety Light

Post by Swamprider »

Because of theft risk I have stopped dragging my kayak trailer around with me and have started using a bed extender. No my problem is how to rig up a safety light / flag for the tail end of my yak. Anyone have and ideas or pics of one?
2b1 Ask one
skinnywater

Re: Kayak Safety Light

Post by skinnywater »

I installed a regular trailer light on the end of the bed extender and wired it to a standard trailer plug. I also tie a red bandana to the front carry handle of the kayak since I load the boat stern first into the truck.
For extra visibility I put DOT reflective stickers on the bed extender.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
kspops

Post by kspops »

I rigged an LED setup with a trailer plug that I put on the end of my kayak. It puts brake lights and running lights at the rear of my boat. plus the reflective tape. I will try to get some pictures soon.
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
Rik

Post by Rik »

Raise the crossbar of the extender as high as possible. If someone doesn't stop in time, they'll hit the extender and not the kayak.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

I installed flashing bike lights available for under $10 at local bike stores. You have your choice of flashing styles and they last forever. I just attached them to the my rudder and they've worked super!

I make sure I take them off when I launch because they're not real waterproof.
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

LagoonAddict wrote:I installed flashing bike lights available for under $10 at local bike stores. You have your choice of flashing styles and they last forever. I just attached them to the my rudder and they've worked super!

I used the same thing but screwed it to a clamp from Home Depot. I also tied on a red flag. Just clamp it on when loading and you're set.
Swamprider

Post by Swamprider »

Thanks Guys
2b1 Ask one
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

LagoonAddict wrote:I installed flashing bike lights available for under $10 at local bike stores. You have your choice of flashing styles and they last forever. I just attached them to the my rudder and they've worked super!

The custom Safety Light company - That sponsors a Waterproof flashlight for the PFTS makes a much of different lights

They make a red flashing light for $8.00 that would work well. It is the same light that you see in bike shops too
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Rik

Post by Rik »

Paul wrote: The custom Safety Light company - That sponsors a Waterproof flashlight for the PFTS makes a much of different lights

They make a red flashing light for $8.00 that would work well. It is the same light that you see in bike shops too
http://www.customsafetylight.com/

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

I do believe that is the little sucker!!! And it comes with it's own mounting bracket that I attached directly to the top/sides of my rudder...I use one on each side of the rudder......the mounting bracket allows you to "snap" the light on and off the kayak in seconds.
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"