The 7 foot drop

pag_yaker

The 7 foot drop

Post by pag_yaker »

So, the journey starts in my man cave – note the proximity to the water:

Step out the backdoor, walk a few feet (maybe 15) and you see the goal:

And here is the problem … a 7 foot drop to from the seawall to the bottom:

The walkway has a handrail, can’t launch from there:

Rocks at the base of the ladder. They would be “relocated” over time, so it’s a non-issue. Negative low tide gives you about a foot here, high tide means about 3 feet.

One guy here has a floating dock for his kayaks, but has about a 5’ climb to get down to them. Nice set up though.
My goal is to come up with an easily removable device that will help lower and fetch the boats. Breaks my heart to be so damn close, but so far away. But I’ve also caught fish EVERY time I’ve fished from the seawall with arti’s.

So, with the understanding that the solution must be portable *and* must be geared toward a bad back (me) and a bad shoulder (wife), what would you do?
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
CooKnFish

Re: The 7 foot drop

Post by CooKnFish »

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/2415905167.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I have the same problem at my house. Haven't figured anything out yet unfortunately. It is easy enough with 2 people and the ladder, but it's definitely something that can be done solo.
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

being that you dont own the dock and land between your place and the seawall (assuming) can you attach to the dock small bolts or anything? If you could lower the kayak into the water and get it out are you able to get up and down the ladder to your kayak? Guess my real question is if the kayak was in the water on a rope could you get in it?
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I'd need to come out there and see it to work something out, but if you could install something like Mark shows that is the way to go.

sucks to be soo near yet soo far!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rik

Post by Rik »

If there are others in the building that have kayaks, you might be able to convince the building owners to build (or let you build) a hinged ramp that drops into the water. Drop it down when you use it, pull it back up when done so stuff doesn't grow on it. If a wooden ladder were build up to the main dock right where the ramp hits the water, you could paddle up, attach you kayak to the pull rope, climb of the ladder and then go pull your kayak up the ramp. Then pull up the ramp.

Really not too difficult to build. The biggest difficulty would be getting permission.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Lawyers or fear of lawyers are likely to get in the mix.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

You know it Dave,
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rik

Post by Rik »

Plus code enforcement, Save the Whales, Save the Sea Grass, and a whole host of governmental agencies with 3 letter acronyms. It'll likely take 10x longer to fill out the paperwork then it will to build it.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Something like this might work.
http://www.getkayaktive.com/rollaid.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could probably do the same thing with a couple boat trailer rollers and brackets mounted to the dock or sea wall.
Good luck with it.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Jerry I'm thinking about maybe using some good old PVC and making a portable Davit system, a couple of roof rack straps as slings to lower and raise the kayak.

WOuld take some onsite engineering the, hardest part I see would be anchoring the Davits in a temporary fashion., bit with a couple pieces of fashioned metal you could probably drive them down into the grass.

I can draw up a rough sketch of my idea, it would be a trial and error build, but I reckon its doable, and would probably come in for less than $100.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

One of my neighbors is on the "dock commitee" and wants be to craft a solution, so permission is almost a given. One guy here has a slick floating dock with 2 Hobies on it, but he has to scale up a 5' pole to get to his dock.

The seawall ladder is not a problem for my wife and I, and we could get in our boats easy enough at all tides.

I'm pondering a PVC device:

The rungs could be 4' across maybe. 2 people could rope it down sideways and retrieve it the same way.

But the floating dock and folding ramp would probably appeal to the HOA
Jerry White
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I like designing stuff....any stuff really. How far is it from the seawall to the pier straight across? Looks like about 8' or so. How much weight (max) would you be lowering? Can you get in your kayak once its down without taking a chance of falling in the water and killing yourself on the sharp stuff down there? :) Would it be ok if you only used the kayak ramp during higher tides? Are you looking to make this yourself or buy something? I can design something on a CAD program if you like. Something easy to build with basic tools.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

The walkway is 12'

The rocks at the bottom won't be a problem for very long. :)

We should be able to get in boats OK except at very high tide.

Ideally, I'd like something that can be easily broken down and stored next to my boats.

A short stake out pole could be used in the tankwell to keep the boat from flopping off the "pagramp" on that side.

Hmm ...
Jerry White
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Get bathroom mat to put on the top of the seawall. By hand you should be able to raise the bow to the top of the wall. Then using a simple A-frame to give yourself a mechanical advantage to pull it up over the ridge. Use the side walk as your pivot point.
Credo quia absurdum
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

well you could make an "elevator" for the kayak using ropes....how much weight would you be lowering at max? getting up and down yourself you would have to handle but the kayak could be done without too much trouble I would believe.

problem with using the kayak as a pivot might be damage....I would like to see somethign where the kayak is raised level and lowered level.....at an angle things tend to fall out or move about....2 rails with a "web" between them (like military strapping) and 2 ropes to lower it level comes to mind...dont have much time over the next few days to make it up on a CAD program but I will try to get to it this weekend.