The 7 foot drop

pag_yaker

Re: The 7 foot drop

Post by pag_yaker »

DO NOT spend time in CADmandu if you can go fish! :)

I'm thinking a "rack" to put the kayak on (4') that would have proper geometry to conform to the PVC ramps. One person could launch and lift. 70 lbs would probably be top end, unless a pair of dingalings wanted to launch the tandem. At that point, I start shooting video.

No way around it, I'm buying some LONG sticks of PVC Friday after work. I find PVC cement vapors can transport me to a more creative place.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Rik

Post by Rik »

You won't be happy with PVC over time. It degrades in the sun.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

One thing I have been thinking of....

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-t ... 37555.html

For my purposes, I probably cannot attach anything to the seawall. What I have been thinking is attatching it to a weighted base. If I use disc weights and build it in a way that I can attach wheels, or move it with a dolly, it could be rolled out and back in pretty easily before and after launch. I'm not sure how much weight I would have to put to properly counterbalance a loaded kayak, but I can't imagine it being too much. Anyone see amy major flaws in this? Anyone have an idea of how much weight I would need?
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

That looks like the solution, add this http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/ ... ling1.html to hold the kayak and you're in business.
As for counter weight what about mounting it to a long board and driving some metal stakes into the grouns to hold the board.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Let me know when the "trial run" is, I'll bring video cameras! :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

ok only have a second here and i will post a good solution this weekend, need to know how long your kayak is, but an elevator solution would be easiest. With 2 pvp pipes and webbing between them you could lower your kayak level and raise it the same way. 2 pipes driven into the ground 12"-18" would be all that is needed. I am assuming that you can pick your kayak up easy enough. Some rope and a bit of testing and you can have a portable elevator easy enough with not much in the way of materials. I ahve to run...wife is about to kill me if i dont get going. I will have you a design by this weekend.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

The longest boats are the Hobie Revo's and they're around 13' I think. Also, I doubt I can get away with driving anything in to the ground, since these folks cut and water grass like you wouldn't believe ... looks real nice though. :)

I will break it down and store it in the cave when not in use.

My buddy on the doc commitee just returned from a 2 week sailing trip so hopefully we'll bump in to each other this weekend so I can ythrow some ideas his way.
Jerry White
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Ok I have drawn on the CAD program a design that will be easy to build and portable. Materials are all at HomeDept or similar store. If you want to see the design (anyone) download Google Sketchup free off the internet http://sketchup.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then leave me a message on this forum with your Email and I will send you the file.

Ok this is what I would do: Get 2 10' pvp pipes (1 1/2" SCD 40 or if they have it 1 1/2" SCD 80 pipe..the SCD 80 would most likely be in the electrical department) Get another piece of pipe about 4' long. Your goign to cut this into 2 pipes later.

Get rope of a size and type that if you were pulling up your kayak weight plus extra "stuff" weight the rope wouldnt hurt your hands and you could have a good grip on it. Knots in the rope could be made but this might hamper the design.

Get 2 meter keys. These are steel rods with a handle on one end and a 2 pronged "fork" on the other. They are used to open home water meters. Try to find one that has a triangle handle rather than the "T" handle but both will work.

Get strapping of some type. I would try to find military strapping about 1 1/2" wide but any tuff cloth material will work.

Get gromets. You will want to gromet the strapping around the pvp pipe. If you dont want to use gromets you just need to be able to secure the strapping around the pipe (could even tie the strapping if you wanted).

Ok, the idea is really simple. Take your 4' pvp pipe and cut it in half. Drive this pipe into the ground at the sea wall. You may (most likely) need to be a few inches away from the sea wall because of concrete over pour under the ground. This over pour will stop you from driving the pipe deep enough. Drive the pipe below the grass surface until you cannot feel it under your feet. Next cut the 2 meter keys off with a hacksaw. Cut off the 2 pronged fork. Toss away fork.

These keys and pipes in the ground are going to supply the base of your kayak elevator. Attach one rope to each end of the top of the key. Ropes need to be long enough to reach the pier on the other side and also long enough to lower down to the water at the lowest tide.

Kayak elevator will be made of the 2 10' pvp pipes and the strapping. The strapping will loop around one pipe and be secured then loop around the other pipe and be secured. I would think having the strappings 6" appart would be a reasonable distance so you will need 22 strappings of the same length. I would think that you wouldnt want the pvp pipes to get on top of the kayak while lowering the kayak (might snag on something) so mesure the width of your kayak and up about 1/2 way on both sides. Add extra for looping around the pipes and enough to secure them.

Get all of the straps on the pipes and your elevator is about done. Thread your ropes (attached to the keys) through the pipes and out the other side. To make raising and lowering easier I would join the ropes together at a point where if the tide was at its lowest you wouldnt run out of rope to lower the kayak. Then join the 2 ropes at this point and have one rope goign up to the pier. So your only pulling on one rope. From the picture the railing on the pier was above the seawall. So once you raise the elevator your kayak will be sloped toward the seawall, making loading and unloading easy.

Fully loaded your kayak will be under 100lb and from this design you should be able to easily get your kayak up and down.

Not the best with CAD programs and after drawing the design I came up with a way to make the design work better. If on the ends of the 10'pipes you attached a closed pulley and ran the rope through these on each end of the pipes instead of running the rope through the pipe the elevator would be much smoother going up and down.

Cost should be rather low. Pipe and rope should be under $25 and the strapping I dont know but couldnt be too bad. Keys might be a few bucks but I would guess under $20 each. So for less than $100 you would have a portable solution. BTW, if you dont feel comfortable with putting the two 2' pipes in the ground you could just cut the keys of at an angle so they are sharp and just push them into the ground. Problem being make sure you not going into a sprinkler pipe when you do it.
jagerschnapps1

Post by jagerschnapps1 »

What about something like half of an aluminum extention ladder with floats on one end and some rollers to let the kayak roll down into the water. Maybe install some clips to pin it to the sea wall and remove it when your done.
Rik

Post by Rik »

That ladder idea is pretty good. If you used a telescoping extension ladder, it would be very portable and easily stored. You probably wouldn't need rollers, a kayak would slide easily on an aluminum ladder. If you know someone who has a conduit bender, you could make a couple of these easily and cheaply to make sure the kayak doesn't slide off the side of it.

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Getting the kayak down like that will work just fine but getting it back up will be way difficult. The leverage out over 15' (12'-13' kayak) will be 100s of pounds. 8 foot down plus 13' boat is quite a long ladder and the leverage would be insane IMO. To overcome the weight the ladder would have to be 16' long min. and most likely 24' would be required.
fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

Take out the seawall and put the mangroves back. Problem solved.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Yeah, that or a floating dock made of manatee skulls ... :)
Jerry White