SUV transporting

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
shallowfly

SUV transporting

Post by shallowfly »

Any of you transport your kayaks on top of your SUV's solo? If so, what rack system do you use and what kayak model are you putting on top.

Thanks in advance....
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: SUV transporting

Post by Manning »

I have a Thule rack that is great. It is actually a set of 30 years old bars that are attached to the rails on the truck. To put the kayak on the rack I place a small piece of rubber backed carpet up on the top of the tailgate. I place the nose of the kayak up on the carpet then grab it and slide it up on the rack.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I have a 4 runner.

It's a basic free setup.

Loaded the following solo:
  • a heavy fiberglass canoe - circa 1975 - over 75lbs
    wilderness commander 120 - I think 60lbs
    Islander 15' - about 65lbs
Loading the Kayak
  • a) Moving blanket goes on spoiler near rear roof.
    b) Lift bow to blanket
    c) Push up
    d) Remove blanket
    e) Strap down to factory installed roof rack; rock solid - I do not tie down to front/rear of car, but might for a really long trip (+3 hours)
To remove, use blanket slide kayak off.

You can do the above for a canoe too, but you might scratch the suv. So I solo canoe load using this, but you can use that system for a kayak too. After two tries it was more of a hassle than anything.

They sell real one man canoe loader for about $75 - google one man canoe loader. I'm just a cheap sob.
JB
shallowfly

Post by shallowfly »

Sounds easy and I have a Forerunner too. Manning, what type of Kayak do you have is it the Native Ultimate 14
shallowfly

Post by shallowfly »

Just noticed your canoe load link JB. Great system, and a bike rack too sounds like your hobbies are the same as mine lol...
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

shallowfly wrote:Sounds easy and I have a Forerunner too. Manning, what type of Kayak do you have is it the Native Ultimate 14
Native Ultimate 14.5
Last edited by Manning on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

I have a Toyota Highlander and I'm always afraid I'll break that lip that hangs over the rear window. I use a Malone Seawing system with a load assist on the back to take some of the pressure off that lip. I have Malone crossbars as well, so I just bought an $8 metal rod from Lowes and slide that in the crossbars (after removing the plastic endcaps of course) whenever I want to load from the side. All in all it a pretty good system and not a lot of money. The Thule and Yakima systems were just too costly for my taste.
If you got factory installed cross bars, I'd just go with the padding over the bars and a few tie down straps you should be fine.
My favorite way of loading is in UL2s truck!
pembrokayak

Post by pembrokayak »

I've got a Jeep Patriot and have aftermarket Yakima racks. It's a fairly simple setup, especially if your SUV only comes with the side bars on the roof. I actually had a buddy of mine give me a roof pad made by Thule that actually velcros around the cross bars and has a rubber bottom to stay in place. Same thing as the other posts after that. Put the bow up onto the pad and slide it up from the back. As far as roof racks go, anything by yakima and thule will work, and both are pretty comparable in price. One thing I do like about yakima is that their bars are rounded, so if you want to zip tie a pool noodle around it for extra padding it works like butter. Hope this helps
So apparently a few beers in me makes me forget how to cast.
mikey

Post by mikey »

2005 Durango with bed exender. Fold down rear seats, throw down tarp, toss in canoe and strap down. Yes the back hatch is tied down to the level of the canoe an looks silly, but I don,t care since I'm cheap too. :joker:
Striving to be the man my Beagle thinks I am.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Thule Outrigger II Extension Bar. It slides in and out of the front rack about 30 inches or so. Tarpon 140

Simple to use both up and down and I even transport upside down right on the racks ( with wrap pads ) .... no cradles needed
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

I pick my kayak up and lift it over my head, then just set it down on the roof rack of my path finder.