opinions please

bassboy

opinions please

Post by bassboy »

So i have had 1 Sabalos 3000 and have no problems with it in may i got another one. In july had problems with it took it back got it replaced then in the 1st tournament it acted up again went back got it replaced AGAIN. I went a couple of weeks ago and it was doing the same thing.......Seriously. I went to dicks and went to get number 4 but they didnt have any. My ? is what is your opinions on the stradic 3000 (last years) model. I got for free. Dicks has a closeout special for $129.97 plus i recieved free fins line as well. I wasnt happy when the wright and mcgill sabalos went out on me they will be recieving an email as well.
gsellers1245

Re: opinions please

Post by gsellers1245 »

Honestly the Sabalos is an ok reel except that there is no replacement parts. I have had a shimano sedona for 2 years now and serviced every 6 months and it acts as good as new. The stradic is an excellent reel if you dont mind the weight.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

bassboy wrote:So i have had 1 Sabalos 3000 and have no problems with it in may i got another one. In july had problems with it took it back got it replaced then in the 1st tournament it acted up again went back got it replaced AGAIN. I went a couple of weeks ago and it was doing the same thing.......Seriously. I went to dicks and went to get number 4 but they didnt have any. My ? is what is your opinions on the stradic 3000 (last years) model. I got for free. Dicks has a closeout special for $129.97 plus i recieved free fins line as well. I wasnt happy when the wright and mcgill sabalos went out on me they will be recieving an email as well.
I cannot comment on stradic 3000.

However I thought I would add and for what it is worth, I've had to return 1 Sabalo as well. That said I have 3 of them now. Two 2500's and one 3000. I like the 2500 for plastics, 3000 for top water plugs.

After a year I'm somewhat pleased with them. I can say that they do not like to be splashed (do any??) and do like to be babied a bit more than I like. Seems salt builds up on the top of the spool and the removable plastic butt on the reel allows water to seep into the gears. First thing I do now is put reel oil on the shaft that cranks the gears. It will seize up on you if you're not careful. You'll b able to crank, but not remove it - which won't let you get to the gears.

I had one that was sticking and took the thing apart. The grease inside had what I would call a "good bit of salt". I used a Q tip to get rid of all the salt/grease, regreased, and used some reel oil. I used it all day yesterday and it was good as new.

My thoughts are that at $59 on sale you pretty much get what you pay for. My son really works the thing out every trip as he is throwing a spoon all day. I like to think that we have 200,000 miles on them at this point.

My father-in-laws stradic just started grinding yesterday...so it seems it's all about the maintenance.
JB
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Did you use the little bottle of lube that comes with the reel?
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

CooKnFish wrote:Did you use the little bottle of lube that comes with the reel?
Never recieved any lube at all in the boxes. Makes me wonder. I tried to send wright & mcgill an email but im not sure if i have the right email it didnt go through.
Angrypinfish

Post by Angrypinfish »

Had the old 2500 stadic (white/pearl painted) and it didnt give me any problems. I even accidentally dropped it in the water too... Now im using the 3000 which i got last year and i love it... The only thing is u can feel some grinding... A drop or 2 of that oil solves the problem for few hundred cast then it comes back again...

Where can i get more of the oil thay came with the stadic?
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Every Sabalos I have came with a bottle of lube. Regardless, and I think I got this info from our resident reel guy, Phil, you should always lube a brand new reel before you even spool it up. The factory stuff isn't the greatest and who knows how long they been sitting around. I go another step further and clean out the factory grease and replace it with some new stuff from INOX.

Is this the email address you have for W&M?
[email protected]
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

None of the Sabalos I have came with reel oil. I just bought a big ol' bottle of reel oil (4 oz.) at Dicks for $3 or so. When you use 1-2 drops per use it lasts forever.

If you want to open up "the guts" the top nut under the spool where the shaft goes up and down is reverse threaded. Took me a bit to figure that out and I didn't want to man up on it.
JB
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

opinion = Buy an Okuma..just about anything in the same price range or higher.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

Look at the box for the country in which it is manufactured. Once they go to China the reels aren't as well made. Japan makes good reels and noticeably higher quality than the same model or the improved model from China.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

For just a few dollars more you can get a Diawa Advantage. Absolutely wonderful reels and with just nominal maintenance (light rinse and 3 in 1 oil on the main roller bearing everytime I go out seems to handle any problems. I have two 2500s and one 3000.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

CooKnFish wrote:Every Sabalos I have came with a bottle of lube. Regardless, and I think I got this info from our resident reel guy, Phil, you should always lube a brand new reel before you even spool it up. The factory stuff isn't the greatest and who knows how long they been sitting around. I go another step further and clean out the factory grease and replace it with some new stuff from INOX.

Is this the email address you have for W&M?
[email protected]
yes mark it is.
chipm

Post by chipm »

I concur with Norm on the Daiwa Advantage. One of mine went overboard at high tide, late evening (something to do with my passenger / son :)) and I couldn't find it. I went out at low tide the next morning, luckily found it, and it was good. Had it cleaned and lubed to be safe and it still works like new a year later. At this point I see no nother reason to even look at anything else.
Chip
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Blaming it on your son, nice work Chip. :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Quantum catalyst in the 2k series. What ever you do don't get the shimano ci4. It will ruin you for everything else. It is super light.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS