Rigging question - Native Ultimate 12

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
shallowfly

Rigging question - Native Ultimate 12

Post by shallowfly »

Well just joined the paddle fishing scene with my new to me Native Ultimate 12. Was wondering if you could post some pictures or list some ideas for simple rigging. How do you have yours rigged and what are the essentials to bring.

Some specific questions:

Bailing - Pump or sponge or a sponge and a cup. I have heard I need a pump. Is that more efficient then just having a cup and a sponge?

Anchor - there is no where to tie the anchor in mine other than my leg. That didn't work so well so is the anchor trolley the only way to go? If you use one do you have a half one or a full. I have not seen one installed on a Native only on SOT's.

I have a cool mesh crate/basket with rod holders that came with the boat so good there.

Flag for visibility - My boat is camo so want to add a flag. Where did you get yours and did you mount it or just put in your crate/basket?

Fish keeping - I like to keep a redfish once in a while. Dont want to drag around on a stringer. What are you using to keep the fish on ice?

Wallet keys and cell phone - Would a water tight container strapped to the back of the seat or somewhere be a good way to go. I was thinking if I have it in the crate and dumped the boat its going to float away. Where do you keep yours?

I plan on fly fishing out of my new boat as well so want to keep it clean and simple. Any ideas for any of these topics or others please comment.

Just got the boat this weekend so its all new to me. Bought some 2x4's and also looking for some good rack ideas. I cant hang or mount on the wall so need a stand alone rack.

Thanks in advance.. I have learned a lot from the forum over the past months in anticipation of purchasing my new to me fishing machine...

And a big thanks to Heywood for getting me into the paddle power fishing scene; I am hooked!

Shallowfly
Last edited by shallowfly on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rik

Re: Rigging question - Native Ultimate 12

Post by Rik »

shallowfly wrote:Fish keeping - I like to keep a redfish once in a while. Dont want to drag around on a stringer. What are you using to keep the fish on ice?
http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 96#p336996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Sponge
Full anchor trolley but if you get a big clip you can connect the line to the the thwarts.
Do you really need a flag? Check out bicycle ones.
Use a soft cooler in the bow as the extra weight can help .
Walmart has a cool smaller waterproof box that has a strap w/ a ring, you can clip that ring to your crate.
Ps. Ultimates are pretty tough to flip unless your riding a manatee.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
TexasDan

Post by TexasDan »

Here is a pic of my NU12 when I had it.

Bailing - Pump or sponge:
I bought a small Kerosene Syphon Pump for $3.00 at Home Depot. Really just need it for rain or if you take a big wave from an ASS boater.

Anchor and System:
I used a full anchor trolley and dog leash with 5lb weight.

Flag for visibility:
I did not have a flag. I have seen them. Good safety thing.

Fish keeping:
I keep mine in a soft cooler in the bow that I got at costco. Keeps a bag of ice most of the day.

Wallet keys and cell phone:
Keep in a plano dry box in my crate.
Rik

Post by Rik »

shallowfly wrote:I was thinking if I have it in the crate and dumped the boat its going to float away.
Not if you attach your crate and then attach your dry box to the crate.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I carry a pump, but I would not wast your money on it. Get a Folgers plastic coffee can. Good for bailing and can be used as a piss can.

I bungee my crate and rod holders in behind the seat.

Think about a seat riser if you don't have one. Here is what I did. http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 23&t=34186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is how I modified my kayak cart to work better with the UN. http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 23&t=34805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I carry a water tight plastic box made by Plano. It is 9" X 7" X 4". It holds camera, cell, keys.

Good luck.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Cut the bottom off of a plastic one Gallon Milk container.......works better than a Folgers Coffee can(it has a handle and cheaper........excellent baler and piss bucket.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
shallowfly

Post by shallowfly »

Thanks for all the suggestions, slowly making it mine. Finally gave up trying to rig an anchor system without drilling holes and ordered yesterday the anchor trolley through Get Outdoors from the Native site. Any tips, tricks, or pics for installing the trolley to help me get it right the first time.