Provo, Utah

Heywood

Provo, Utah

Post by Heywood »

Took a little buisness trip out to FlowServe Valves, In Provo Utah.

The view from thier parking lot.

Interia welding. Basically you take two different metals (This was stainless and hastelloy) and jam them together and high speed and pressure. 3300 RPM and 600 psi. I had only one shot at the picture, hence it came out blurry. Didnt have the settings right for the light condition.

"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Provo, Utah

Post by Todd »

That last pic is cool.

Just curious, why would you need to use two different metals and jam them together like that? What is the end purpose?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Todd wrote:That last pic is cool.

Just curious, why would you need to use two different metals and jam them together like that? What is the end purpose?
At the end of a valve stem, there is what's called a plug. Some applications you need a very hard metal, harder than stainless.

The whole process is very quick, less than 10 seconds. That guy has the best job in the plant. :lol:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Looks like U caught the peak of Fall color. Nice shots.
I should have sent U to Antelope Island...

How much goose "poop" did ya get on your shoes?
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Heywood wrote:Interia welding. Basically you take two different metals (This was stainless and hastelloy) and jam them together and high speed and pressure. 3300 RPM and 600 psi. I had only one shot at the picture, hence it came out blurry. Didnt have the settings right for the light condition.
Years ago when I was working with my tools, most of my work was done as an Electrical Subcontractor at Pratt & Whitney in WPB. I have seen and wired some very awesome things most public will never see.

One of the processes we wired was a machine, if I recall correctly was called Gatorizing. This machine was a large chamber where they took two dissimilar alloys, put them in a chamber, pumped the vacumn down to 3 tor (my memory may be fading there) which I beleive is the equivelent to the vacumn of outerspace, applied pressure and then applied a high voltage to fuse the alloys. It was an amazing process.

When they pumped down the chamber, we put a length of unistrut across the door. The door, which was 3/4 stanless steel with 3 inch cross bracing bowed in almost 3/4 of an inch.
Cool stuff.
1 3 12 120 3000
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Tree-Bone wrote:Looks like U caught the peak of Fall color. Nice shots.
I should have sent U to Antelope Island...

How much goose "poop" did ya get on your shoes?
Actually Rick, I just missed the color change. They had a cold snap a couple of weeks before I got there, that one whole mountain side was red and yellow. Wish I would have had the time to drive around, I have a friend that lives there (I met him via one of these web sites and took him fishing while he was on vacation down here)

Priouge - Sounds pretty cool. I've been past a Pratt & Whitney plant off of Hwy 710. Same one?
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Yes- Same place. I could tell some stories.

I "hear" there are some access points along the railroad tracks that lead into canal systems there. The "rumour" is the fishing is fantastic. But, fishing there now would probably land one in Guantanamo Bay.

The "person" who fished there tore them up. But I, uh, he, did notice tumors on alot of the catch. Wouldn't eat anything from there. :D
1 3 12 120 3000
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Oops, my bad. Spelled your name wrong.

Would like to go through that plant. I flew with P&W for twenty years.
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

We will have to go fishing one day and I can entertain you with my witty anecdotes and observations from the plant.

Seriously, maybe we can meet up sometime. Possibly bring Bassboy along for entertainment.

Here's a teaser, Star Wars satellite mock up, full size WOODEN jet engine, and seeing the YF-22 power plant in action. Pretty neat being I am a civilian.
1 3 12 120 3000
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Great shots Bill :cool:. The scenery out there is incredible.