SIMMS Flats Boot

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Heywood

SIMMS Flats Boot

Post by Heywood »

Simms Flats Boots

Disclaimer: I am not sponsored or have I been compensated in any way for this review.

The topic of flats wear had come up here, and as I was in desperate need of a new pair of wading boots, I did some searching on line and came across the SIMMS Flats Boot. These looked like they would fit the bill just perfect. After too many heart stopping encounters with stingrays here in Tampa Bay, I had a friend of mine contact SIMMS and soon I had a pair for review.

I ordered a pair of size 11’s, which would turn out to be just a bit too big. With the addition of a good wool sock, they ended up fitting well. As they don’t come in half sizes, I would recommend trying a pair before ordering. I received mine right at the end of the summer months, and as the water has turned cooler; I don’t get out and wade as much as I would normally do. But I have been out. I even tried to put them to the “Stingray” test, but they too have taken to warmer water for the winter.

Features of the SIMMS Flats Boots

• Tall boot upper (6 1/2") offers added support and more protective coverage
• Panels on boot and tongue feature SuperFabric® brand material to offer extreme puncture protection
• Lightweight EVA midsole wrapped with abrasion-resistant material for longer wear
• Full rubber rand
• Padded collar
• Corrosion-free hardware
• Sized to be worn with a Wet Wading Sock
• Non-marking Vibram® sole offers superior traction
• Offered in men's whole sizes 7 - 16 EE

My initial thoughts on the Flats Boots; they are a bit stiff due to the thick upper supports. This takes some getting used to. It’s kind of like walking in ski boots. You get used to it after a while. The sole of the boot is flatter than I thought. I prefer something with a bit more arch support. They drain well though which is a big plus for a boot like this. If not for the wool socks holding some water, it would completely drain. While wearing these boots I had no issues with standing in the kayak, or with getting in and out. They especially come in handy if you have a rocky launch spot and handle oysters with no problems what so ever.

With a retail cost of $149.95, I would recommend these boots to anyone who plans on wading the flats and is looking for great protection from all types of hazards that lurk on the flats..

Good Bye Old Friends
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: SIMMS Flats Boot

Post by Manning »

I got a pair of Simms wading sandals last year for Christmas and now a year later I am still very happy with them. Obviously they do nothing for the ray protection issue. The sandals have the same sole material and pattern as the boots. They have held up well to the oyster beds. Your toes are very well protected in the sandals, but your heel is somewhat exposed.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
chuckm310

Re: SIMMS Flats Boot

Post by chuckm310 »

Great boot, no 2 ways about it BUT, toooooooo much money........Good flats boot at BPro for 29.95. Zips up the side and stays on in the much, deep muck. :cheers: