Rigging pontoons on Native Ultimate 14ft

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
UltimateBobWPB

Rigging pontoons on Native Ultimate 14ft

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

I just ordered 4, 14x7 lobster floats to use as pontoons. Im planning on using 1 inch, sch 40 PVC pipe for the arms. They will go into 2 adjustable flag pole holders that I will secure to a piece on aluminum that will go from gunnel to gunnel. I'm hoping to bend the aluminum at each end to give me an angle so I can have the supports going directly to the T fitting between the floats. Any suggestions how hong the pipe from holder at gunnel to floats should be? Thanks for any assistance you can lend.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Re: Rigging pontoons on Native Ultimate 14ft

Post by SRQGator »

Sponsons on an Ultimate—that's like the kayak equivalent of deep fried butter.

I tested a similar sponson set up on a small canoe. Worked pretty well. I removed the stock canoe seat and put in one of those low slung beach chairs. Presto! I've got myself a poor man's Ultimate.

I don't think you're going to need them very far out. I wanted something as simple and light weight as possible, so I had the floats drawn in almost next to the hull near the stern. It still made a big difference in stability. I found that float depth has a significant effect as well.
1 1 12?