Pontoon DIY for Ulitimate 14.

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
UltimateBobWPB

Pontoon DIY for Ulitimate 14.

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

I just ordered 4, 14x7 lobster floats to use as pontoons. Im planning on using 1 inch, sch 40 PVC pipe for the arms. They will go into 2 adjustable flag pole holders that I will secure to a piece on aluminum that will go from gunnel to gunnel. I'm hoping to bend the aluminum at each end to give me an angle so I can have the supports going directly to the T fitting between the floats. Any suggestions how hong the pipe from holder at gunnel to floats should be? Thanks for any assistance you can lend.
Sully

Re: Pontoon DIY for Ulitimate 14.

Post by Sully »

Just my $.02 friend but do you really need pontoons on an Ultimate. Mine is plenty stable by itself, in fact standing, casting, turning around are all possible.
TRUE
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Sully wrote:Just my $.02 friend but do you really need pontoons on an Ultimate. Mine is plenty stable by itself, in fact standing, casting, turning around are all possible.
I wondered the same thing.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
size matters

Post by size matters »

He could be 285 and have no balance like me... In that case he needs them.lol I had a ultimate.
"President of the Dink Fishing Club"
UltimateBobWPB

Added safety and comfort with pontoons, I hope.

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

Well I enjoy the stability of my Ultimate but wouldn't feel comfortable standing in it now. I'm down from 280# to 240 but am not the most graceful. I'm also raising the seat up on PVC a few inches so looking for some general added stability. The lobster float DIY pontoons is a cheap way of doing this and I may only need them from time to time. I think of a story a friend told me as he watched his grandfather getting dressed. Grand dad tucked a. Small revolver in his waist band, when the boy asked why he always took his gun. The old man said it was better to be caught with it than without it!!
UltimateBobWPB

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

Got a question I've got the 2 lobster bouy which I will use a pvc "T" to join the 2 together the run a piece of PVC up to a adjustable flag holder mounted on a piece of aluminum spanning the kayak and secured with bolts in the gunnel. I've seen some with a cross piece is right behind the seat do you think it's necessary to be that far forward or can I get away with it further back so I can use a straight piece. Thanks
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I would think they would work further back try it and see.
I toyed with the idea of stabilizers for the Ultimate 12 when I had, I certainly needed them to be comfortable standing.
My design used Scottt rod holders though, quick and easy to lift them up when not required.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Gozz

Post by Gozz »

Do you guys have any pictures of your kayak set ups with pontoons.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Just my 2cents but I notice that with every add on comes another set of problems. I'm 6' 2" and 220 with the balance of a drunken sailor. It took awhile but I got used to standing in my Ultimate. Leave every thing at home for one trip and get in knee deep water and just practice all day.
0 0 1
Sully

Post by Sully »

shamus wrote:Just my 2cents but I notice that with every add on comes another set of problems. I'm 6' 2" and 220 with the balance of a drunken sailor. It took awhile but I got used to standing in my Ultimate. Leave every thing at home for one trip and get in knee deep water and just practice all day.
Could not agree more. Less is more in my world these days.
TRUE