Riddle me this!!

Flamingo to Big Bend
size matters

Riddle me this!!

Post by size matters »

So we go out yesterday to Lemon Bay on a Carolina Skiff. I was using the same Lures all day. Mostly DOA paddle tail with 1/4 Jig. I did notice that the darker colors were working better. The two guys I were with caught 12 redfish, and various big trout, flounder and sheepshead. I was fishing next to these guys all day, using the same jighead, with the same color doa paddletail for most of the day and these guys kept hooking up. I was copying there retrieval to the T. I managed one bigger redfish and a trout. wtf?
"President of the Dink Fishing Club"
John
Guv'ner

Re: Riddle me this!!

Post by John »

you were holding your mouth wrong!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Did you put on a trolling motor on the kayak?

Were you standing vs. them sitting?

Wading vs. in kayak?

Were they fishing potholes vs. grass?

Ledges vs. flats?

Oysterbeds vs. grass?

Fluorocarbon vs. mono vs. direct tie?

Anchor stick vs. "drop" anchor?

Clear water vs. dirty?

Were they casting far vs. you casting short?

Blind cast vs. sight cast?

Were you in the wind vs. out of the wind?

Wearing some crazy vibrant color vs them blue/neutral?

Lastly - Did you eat bananas or have banana boat sunscreen on?

I also find it useful to wave my hand slowly in front of the fish and say "This is the lure you want to eat."
Last edited by jbdba01 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JB
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Did you wash your hands before handling your bait?
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Do you smoke!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
size matters

Post by size matters »

all using same stuff. It was windy.... We were in a boat. I did get gas on my hands but washed before we went out I thought. Maybe that was it. I was long casting. I did everything they did. I am not sure. Maybe sometimes its just luck. But I like to analyze everything.lol Doubt I was holding my mouth wrong. Open right John? Maybe you could teach me that!!!! I am a little unclear on the proper jigging technique but thought I was doing exactly what they were. They were dragging off bottom. and popping jig up off bottom. I am used to fishing the mangroves and not open water as much.
size matters

Post by size matters »

Oh and no I do not smoke.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Sometimes, that is just the way it goes, but mouth should be closed at all times ;)
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

Another scenario, different action rods as well as gear ratio on the reels. Or they were just casting where the fish were. Hey ken, it doesnt matter the quantity...its the size that matters lmao!!! :tongue:
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

size matters wrote:We were in a boat.
Bow or stern?

Wonderboy slays my fish before I can even get to them when he's in the bow of the canoe.

In other words were you fishing in water that had already been fished? All you'll get from the stern is sloppy seconds. (I think there's a joke in there somewhere - but we'll let it go at that.)
JB
size matters

Post by size matters »

Lmao actually I was in the middle of the boat. And yes size does matter
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

The gas may have been the culprit. Even though you washed your hands, that gas station soap may not have odne the job completely or may have even added to the problem. But that's just a guess, I'm no expert at all. I've cast into a school of feeding ladyfish with a naked jighead before while a buddy of mine was casting into the same school with live shrimp. I was catching 3 fish to his 1.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

You will just have to go back out and try again. Good luck.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

It's just one of those things. It happens to everyone at one point or another. The best way to cure it is to keep casting.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Some times your the Dog.....Sometimes your the Hydrant......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

I spent many hours fishing with my Dad and had the same thing happen. We talked about it often. We were using the same model fishing rod, the same model reel, the line on the reels came off the same spool, the leader we used came off the same spool, we used the same knots and most of the time we were using the same lure. We traded ends of the skiff frequently but were never further then 18 feet apart so we were fishing the same water. Maybe it was DNA that made us even cast and fish similar.

One day he'd out catch me 3 to 1. The next I'd outfish him 3 to 1. Didn't seem to matter which of us was at the bow or stern.

We never came up with an answer to the riddle. Eventually it just became a "wonder whose day it will be" comment on the ride to the launch.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley