Day two in Sota near the Phillipi Estate

Flamingo to Big Bend
DirksFishin

Day two in Sota near the Phillipi Estate

Post by DirksFishin »

So yet another day in Sota waters. It rained when I was leaving so I thought well the skies don't look so bad maybe it will let up which it soon did. I got to the launch and like Rik had told me it's a 400 feet carry from the closest parking spot to the launch. Which isn't that bad when you're just getting there but when you've been out for four hours it's a little more of a task.

So I set off going down the creek area seeing all kinds of action on the water as I made my way to the mouth of the creek. I started throwing around the spook and bam! I hook up in the first five minutes. I get it closer and it's a damn Gar! Fiesty little sucker. I didn't waste my time on the camera. Let him go then bam again! This time a lady fish.... Ok I was staring to think this was going to be a junk fish kind of day.

I decided to go down stream a bit and get away from that area and saw some lip smacking on the top of the water. I thought Trout? Ding!! I caught this nice 20"er

I had a bunch of failed hook ups in the next half an hour ( which gets kinda discouraging ) so I moved on. I came across a little inlet of water leading back into a cove and I could see little fish being chased into it so I decided to camp out there.

I could see some yellow on the fins so that perked me right up. So I dropped anchor and quickly tossed up the spook . Almost right away bam! Then again and again and again. I caught four snook back to back. I found a hot spot.

Then I hear a roar of a boat going entirely to fast for the canal behind me shoving me into the oyster bed near by so I promptly gave him the salute!! :salute: I hate that. After that the bite died down and I had no more luck there so I headed back towards the launch tossing the exude and nothing. All and all it was a good vacation day!
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: Day two in Sota near the Phillipi Estate

Post by Bigfish171 »

Nice day Derek. Looks like you're getting this paddle fishing thing figured out!
Dave
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Nice. From what I am seeing of the snook you caught and the ones I have been catching looks like they are a little thin and feeding heavily. It is great to have them back.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Oh my god leave the snook alone! you are putting a hurting on them :lol: Not a bad couple of trips that you have under your belt.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'