Nother day, nother riva

Flamingo to Big Bend
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Nother day, nother riva

Post by DaveR »

Steve Gibson, guide to movie stars, kings, presidents, and shoe shine men world over, and I headed out to some new territory to see what was biting yesterday. Scenery was great, weather was pretty good most of the day and fishing was on the better side of fair. Between the 2 of us we landed half a dozen snook, half a dozen bass, and 4 or 5 gar. We lost some good fish as well but in the timber that's gonna happen. Photo credits go to Steve. Y'all know good photography isn't among my varied talents. I stole the pics of off Steve's Southern Drawl Fishing blog.
Oh yeah. Fish were fooled by either a Top Pup or 4" Cal tail on a 1/16oz jig head.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
americanrobster

Re: Nother day, nother riva

Post by americanrobster »

Looks fun guys! That was one big ass gator.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Nice! You're always catching some biggins!
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Take a pic holding that gator, then I might be impressed.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Good shots. Is that a wheelchair you are sitting in?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

A customized ( a couple pieces of PVC) Ultimate seat. Very comfy. Not ready for the wheelchair yet.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

Great action shots!!

Looks like a fun day.
Dave
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

Neat stuff, may have to get me a fresh water license and try some of that.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Todd wrote:Take a pic holding that gator, then I might be impressed.

Thats funny right there!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I try to contribute to the community and this is the thanks I get. A nome and grumpy giant poking fun at my expense. Well I have had enough. No more thrilling pictures and exciting commentary from me until at least next Wed. You will have to suffer through your mundane lives without my angling deversion. Enjoy the cold front that's knocking at our door. The one that's sure to put a crimp in tomorrows fishing plans for you weekend warriors. Now do me a favor and ----OFF! :snoopy:

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Nice trip Dave. Don't have to go up the proverbial river to find the snook though. I caught some nice ones today down in the good old bay.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

DaveR wrote:I try to contribute to the community and this is the thanks I get. A nome and grumpy giant poking fun at my expense. Well I have had enough. No more thrilling pictures and exciting commentary from me until at least next Wed. You will have to suffer through your mundane lives without my angling deversion. Enjoy the cold front that's knocking at our door. The one that's sure to put a crimp in tomorrows fishing plans for you weekend warriors. Now do me a favor and ----OFF! :snoopy:

You know, we only mock the ones we love.

Cold front will certainly put a dampener on my plans, I have a brand new custom GLX rod that I just picked up this evening, that I wanted to try out.

I guess it will be just casting trials tomorrow instead of catching trials.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Well it's a bit after 4 and looks like the rain has gone through. Might get a bit breezy but looks fish able. Good luck fellers!

"SANCTUARY!!!"

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

mikeB wrote:Neat stuff, may have to get me a fresh water license and try some of that.
Hmmm...I never thought about needing a fresh water license for snook. Based on how I'm interpreting how the FWC interprets the law ( :scratch: ) it seems you don't need a fresh water license to target snook.

If you target bass, bream, catfish you do...

Additional details here.
JB
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

jbdba01 wrote:
mikeB wrote:Neat stuff, may have to get me a fresh water license and try some of that.
Hmmm...I never thought about needing a fresh water license for snook. Based on how I'm interpreting how the FWC interprets the law ( :scratch: ) it seems you don't need a fresh water license to target snook.

If you target bass, bream, catfish you do...

Additional details here.
Could you prove that your only there fishing for snook and not catching other species? Clearly they should have a third license for brackish water. :)

Way to pound these rivers DaveR, hear any banjos out there?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I don't have a freshwater license. I am clearly targeting snook and redfish from the tackle I am using. Bass are a bycatch. I have had this discussion with FWC and the recognize the difference between a bass fisherman and those targeting saltwater species. Now, Steve was throwing a Culprit worm as well. Clearly targeting bass and he has the proper licenses.
No need for a new license when common sense works.

"SANCTUARY!!!"