25 yo missing kayaker in Tarpon Springs

TerryW

25 yo missing kayaker in Tarpon Springs

Post by TerryW »

Missing 25-year-old kayaker last seen in Tarpon Springs

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/r ... z1mq46RIMB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. - Multiple agencies are searching for a missing 25-year-old kayaker.

According to the Tarpon Springs Police Department, David Stephen Hoffmann Jr. left 936 Bayshore Drive around 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

He was in a 15-foot single passenger yellow "Ocean" kayak, and did not have a cell phone with him.

Hoffmann reportedly moved to the area approximately six months ago, and did not usually take the kayak too far from shore.

The U.S. Coast Guard, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, and Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office are assisting in the search.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/r ... z1mq42LNFw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Skeeter

Re: 25 yo missing kayaker in Tarpon Springs

Post by Skeeter »

Good idea to check the tides before heading out.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/ ... ar-360508/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Skeeter wrote:Good idea to check the tides before heading out.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/ ... ar-360508/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that update. I'm surprised we don't have more of these novices getting in serious trouble.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

An adventure to him. A burden to tax payers. Send him a bill.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

According to the police he left at approximately 4:30PM on Saturday, (see first arrow).

Hoffman told police he was caught on a low tide and spent Saturday night on an island until the next tide rose. (see second arrow).

Saturday's tides for Tarpon Springs (Anclote River)
4:44 am low tide ( -0.3 ft. )
11:14 am high tide ( 2.1 ft. )
:arrow: 4:25 pm low tide ( 1.1 ft. )
:arrow: 9:58 pm high tide ( 2.7 ft. )

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
I agree with DaveR, "Send him a bill."
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

How many of us have dragged our kayak across a barely wet flat when misjudging the tides or purposely because the fish are just on the other side...... Wonder why he didn't do that.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I got stuck once like this for more than a few hours (but I had planned to be out all night anyways). The bottom was so soft if I tried to cross it I would have lost my shoes and maybe more. Hell, this guy might have just wanted to get away from his old lady and left the phone at home so he wouldnt get bothered. Not that I have EVER done this.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

In the infamous words of Buggs Bunny, "whata maroon"
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Thanks to TerryW again for reminding us about safety.

I dunked and lost my Droid phone in saltwater and swore I would never take my new one near the Salt again.

But, I am much older than the 25yr old and finally thought the better and wrapped the new phone in a ziplock and put it in the high zipperedpocket of my PFD.

So, unless I got swamped ( unlikely) the phone would be fine. Besides I bought the replacement insurance from Verizon.

We have acres of quick mud flats here in Pine island Sound where you cannot walk or drag a kayak so I understand the plight of the missing kayaker from T. Springs.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

BlueBill - Get a waterproof VHF. Your life is worth it.
ps - I'm heading down your way again in the next two months. This time, we've got to get out together!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

bluebill wrote: But, I am much older than the 25yr old and finally thought the better and wrapped the new phone in a ziplock and put it in the high zipperedpocket of my PFD
I never understand why folks take an upwards of $200, or more, phone out in a kayak and think they are protecting it in a .05 plastic bag. Dry boxes are very inexpensive and they work. Well worth the investment.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Todd wrote:
bluebill wrote: But, I am much older than the 25yr old and finally thought the better and wrapped the new phone in a ziplock and put it in the high zipperedpocket of my PFD
I never understand why folks take an upwards of $200, or more, phone out in a kayak and think they are protecting it in a .05 plastic bag. Dry boxes are very inexpensive and they work. Well worth the investment.
Most of the newer phones have retail prices of somewhere in the 6-900$ range, you just get a good deal when you sign a 2 year contract.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote: I never understand why folks take an upwards of $200, or more, phone out in a kayak and think they are protecting it in a .05 plastic bag. Dry boxes are very inexpensive and they work. Well worth the investment.
Ditto.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Well here we go again.....Like Terry said buy yourself a handheld VHF radio $99 gets you a waterproof one then you don't have to worry about bringing your expensive "Man Binkies" with you.......and for those of you that must any old Cell (Man Binkie) activated or not has 911 capabilities as well as GPS tracking so find one of the dozens of old cells you have laying around to take on the water.........In an emergency a Waterproof VHF is right beside you or in your pocket thus instant reaction(which is most often needed in emergency situations) where as your Man Binkie is all wrapped/locked/bundled/zipped/stored......away......try being out on the water one time with out receiving calls from your BFF telling you about the hot dog the had for lunch or text that they just put on brown shoes to go to Publix........ and the work excuse.......just plain BS.....like your going to do something while fishing......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Dear Joe - Those of us with pedaling Hobies can & do multi-task while on the water, especially during the legislative session. :razz:

I bought a new waterproof VHF a year or so ago. It has a nice emergency button with a GPS to send my position. However, it's size makes it a royal pain to carry on my person. Since I often fish alone in the kayak or flatsboat, I really like WEARING a VHF. It does you no good if it's in the boat & you are in the water. And cell phones not properly stored in water proof bags are just a dead piece of uselessness if you go overboard with it.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

JoeS

Post by JoeS »

TerryW wrote:Dear Joe - Those of us with pedaling Hobies can & do multi-task while on the water, especially during the legislative session. :razz:

I bought a new waterproof VHF a year or so ago. It has a nice emergency button with a GPS to send my position. However, it's size makes it a royal pain to carry on my person. Since I often fish alone in the kayak or flatsboat, I really like WEARING a VHF. It does you no good if it's in the boat & you are in the water. And cell phones not properly stored in water proof bags are just a dead piece of uselessness if you go overboard with it.
Terry I think that's what I was saying in an real time emergency the cell is useless where as the VHF can be a life saver......I agree with you......other than the Legislation (to use one of your terms)...."Hooey"...... :razz: :razz: :wink:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!