About rigging a kayak

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Tarpon14089

About rigging a kayak

Post by Tarpon14089 »

I been kayaking for about a month now, and been looking at you tube videos and on the forum about all the different things you can do to the kayak to make it better.

I was wondering for the people who have been kayak fishing what is the best things to do. I dont want ruin my kayak. Just was wondering what is the best..

thank you for the people who will help me!!
DoubleM

Re: About rigging a kayak

Post by DoubleM »

That's a very broad question so you can expect many different answers as it depends on the individual, the kayak and type of fishing. That being said, the only thing I've installed that was worth it was an anchor trolley and a paddle leash.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

DoubleM wrote:That's a very broad question so you can expect many different answers as it depends on the individual, the kayak and type of fishing. That being said, the only thing I've installed that was worth it was an anchor trolley and a paddle leash.
Do you have a milk crate?

I agree with what doublem said, but add a stake out pole.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Keep ONE thing in mind......"THE LESS HOLES THE BETTER"....example you will need a Trolley System by using the right clips and rings it will serve as your Anchor Trolley, Stakeout Pole trolley, and a Wade Line......If you don't have built in Rod Holders Attach holders to your Crate.......pending on your Kayak if you install a Rod Holder in front of your seat be POSITIVE the location is at a perfect comfort and reach spot(sit in your boat and measure for that spot).....Again pending on your boat Paddle clips or straps will make life easier way too many methods to elaborate......Don't be in a big hurry to rig it.....come to a few PFTS's and see how others have done theirs.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Tarpon14089

Post by Tarpon14089 »

When I bought the kayak they put rod holders in for me. I did get a milk crate but have not used it yet.
and the anchor system? I use an anchor but I have it right by my seat where its tied off and I put it in the water from there.

How much does the anchor system run?? and is it hard to install??

thanks guy's
Tarpon14089

Post by Tarpon14089 »

And yes I do not want to put any more holes in my kayak. I have 3 rod holders and if I need more I can use the milk crate and put some in there, and with my tarpon140 I have side bars that you can slide more accessories on to it.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

With the WS slidetrax system you can mount a rod holder on the side of your kayak and skip drilling holes for a rod holder right in front of you. That is personal preference.

As far as an anchor trolley I am not sold on them as completely necessary. All depends on the type of fishing you do. If you are going to wade a lot you definitely will need a wade line. Mounting rod holders in your crate is the best idea for not drilling holes. You can also use PVC pipe and make a triple rod holder to insert in the flush mount rod holders.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Tarpon14089

Post by Tarpon14089 »

Yeah I have 3 rod holders now. and I want to put different items on the tracks, but not sure what I really need.
and how I have my anchor set up now seems to work perfect for me.
Rik

Post by Rik »

If the dealer installed flush mount rod holders behind the seat, you may want to think about adding PVC inserts to raise the reels higher to keep them dryer. Also, check to make sure they put caps on the ends inside the kayak.

It is very easy to fall into the rigging trap. There are some kayaks out there that must feel like a pin cushion from so many holes being drilled in them. IMO, more rigging means more stuff. You'll find that the longer you're in this game you'll spend more thought on taking less stuff.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley