Memorable experience

justabucup

Memorable experience

Post by justabucup »

Seeing the post on Shell Key got me to think back on some memorable times. So what has been you most special experience when paddle-fishing?
Credo quia absurdum
Pirogue

Re: Memorable experience

Post by Pirogue »

Aside from camping with the ne'er do wells from this board, I have two other memorable experiences.

The first was a solo camping trip to Shell Key. At the time I was reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I remember sitting alone by the fire at night reading a particularly funny part and found myself laughing out loud. I am sure that kept the other campers at bay for the night. The next day I went fishing and while paddling through a mangrove tunnel, I found a blue heron tangled in the roots due to some mono running down his beak. I ended up rescuing him but I wound up in a funk afterwards and packed up and went home.

The second moment was prepping for my BWCA trip. My paddling partner and I launched about 9pm, paddled out to the island while a HUGE thunderstorm rolled in from the gulf. We had lightning all around us while paddling and after dinner, we hit our respective tents. By that time the storm hit land, and all night we were pelted with lighting, pouring rain and howling winds. I just laid in my tent and enjoyed the show. The next morning, we were stranded on the island due to winds. The beach was littered with sea weed, horseshoe crabs and yes, stingrays.

It was awesome.

Nature is an awesome thing.

And actually, being out on the water, I have so many memorable experiences. I am sure we could write a heck of a book with everyone's memories.
1 3 12 120 3000
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

The Hell at Shell was certainly up there as one of my top memories.

The trip to Rockport for the EEF, is without doubt the best paddle-fishing adventure I have enjoyed, my first time in Texas, we met some real characters, rode out an incredible storm, and to top it off we kicked some serious ass.

We partied like it was 1999!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
JSnooky

Post by JSnooky »

Though there are many great memories, I would have to go with my first opportunity to fish and camp with the founding members of this web site. It was a weekend trip to an undisclosed destination South of the Equator. I arrived after dark and had no sooner pulled the old Puddle Pirate ashore, and these men had already set up my tent, smothered me in handshakes and hugs, and let me know that I was welcome to the family in a way that I hadn't experienced since my days in the U.S. Coast Guard. It was a true blessing and a genuine bond that remains solid and probably stronger each day. We laughed a lot that first night, told our most outlandish life stories, and fished a little too. As the years have passed, I find myself reaching into the memory banks often to pull this one out and chew on it. I am proud to know each of them, know that I can count on them during life's speed bumps, and would be willing to do what it takes to honor each of them in the same fashion. Thanks Buc, I needed a good melancholy moment.
"Nooooooooo! Not unless you smell something!"
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Actually one of my fondest moments was the flat at Shell. Uncle Tommy had his daughter with him and was trying to put her on fish. I had gotten a couple and called them over. The tide was coming in and Daniela was on tip toes as she fished. Sure enough she hooked up with a nice red that had her bobbing like a popping cork in her PFD. The smile on her face and the look of pride on her fathers was a wonderful moment.

There are many others from being pickuped by a mantee and gently taken about a small basin. Dolphins thowing fish at me. DaveR catching a large shark in Flamingo and JayB standing in knee deep water for him as I was about under water. (He had the longest legs known to God) Rik getting stuck by a stingray and all his friends offering to pee on him to aleviate the pain. Terp chasing Jay with his p....,. well lets not go there really something that was burned into retina not really a fond memory.

But all are second to seeing a dad hang on to the back of his daughters PFD so she would not be pulled out to sea by her first redfish.
Credo quia absurdum
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

How about the Paddle in @ Ft Desoto East Beach when the winds kicked up and Jay was the only one with the guts to paddle back?
1 3 12 120 3000
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

justabucup wrote:
But all are second to seeing a dad hang on to the back of his daughters PFD so she would not be pulled out to sea by her first redfish.

A classic, we have been blessed with some great times, good friends, good company, good beer, good fishing, all goes for a good life!
JSnooky wrote:I arrived after dark and had no sooner pulled the old Puddle Pirate ashore, and these men had already set up my tent, smothered me in handshakes and hugs, and let me know that I was welcome to the family in a way that I hadn't experienced since my days in the U.S. Coast Guard. It was a true blessing and a genuine bond that remains solid and probably stronger each day
I remember us paddling out together Dan, and Dirty Dave in the front seat of the canoe, the old garbage scowl loaded to the hilt, I had forgotten about that trip of late, but as it was our first camping trip and start of those great friendships, it truly must be the best of them all.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Fishing wasn't so good that day, but the paddling was...def memorable.

Wife ain't into paddlin' or fishing, but she'll stinkpot with the best of them. I bring her along for when I need a chum slick.
JB
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Having the opportunity to meet, fish, swap stories, learn from and admire Jay Brewington.
I can't put a number on how many of my posts that were "deleted by management" but I'll never forget the one he actually commented on.

There are too many memories and personalities experienced over the years to try to tag as a favorite.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

First must be the trip that John and Snooky wrote about. It was the birth of strong ties and I'm lucky to count many of those folks among my dearest friends some dozen years later. You folks talking about camping on some out island with a few strangers I'd tell ya do it. It is my hope that it works out for ya the way it did for us. We have had countless trips together from the UP of Michigan to the Florida keys and all of them are special.
As far as memorable fish it would have to be my first big tarpon. I got to share that adventure with Rik and we still talk about it. It was huge, my largest to date, and took us for a helluva ride. In and out of the surf and couple miles from where we started. These were the days before we knew how important drift chutes were.
Another fond memory is my first fly caught redfish. I shared that with Heywood and Norm by my side and while 180 pounds separated the two fish above, they are both special to me. The fish were worlds apart but the shakes were just the same. If you don't know the shakes, keep fishing. They will come some day and when they do savior them. Laugh at yourself while you're trying to retie and your hands are trembling.
Many adventures were shared with founder Jay Brewington. Until he got sick, maybe we took them for granted. I know I did. Hell, we even bitched at times when the curmudgeon in him let loose. To see that scowl just one more time. A tarpon season doesn't begin without me seeing his tall frame atop his T160 long legs dangling over the side. Looking north for the next school.
We were lucky that so much of what is now commonplace was so new just a few years ago. The learning curve was huge and the newness was addicting. Times and tactics have changed, apps tell us when the tides are right and the bite should be on. Boats are made to stand up in and monofilament is something grandpa used. What doesn't change is the bond we forged doing what we so love together. I'm in no hurry but I can tell you my funeral is gonna be one helluva party. I'm counting on you!
Now, did I ever tell you about that storm in Texas when I got stuck in a duck blind........
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I always love to hear stories and memories of JayB.

I was asked this weekend why I mostly fish alone when I know so many people who I can fish with. It made me think hard, and I couldn't come up with a single reason, I fished with JayB, for just about every weekend for 8 years, I hated to fish without him, but we had a great understanding, we would somedays fish side by side, other days we would go our separate ways. We fished together but independently of each other. Now when I fish, I never feel alone, I always feel that Jay is there, watching, congratulating and mocking.

I fished a tourney yesterday, I made a couple of real rookie mistakes, and I swear I could hear his laughter, in my minds eye I saw that knowing head shake of derision.

I have many great memories of Jay, probably one at the top was when I built him a new Tarpon rod to replace his stolen tackle.
We were fishing at the Kramers ranch on the Sebastian River, he arrived and asked to see the rod, I told him I hadn't finished it but not to worry as it be ready next week. His heart sank, his face paled with dejection, I quickly went and retrieved the rod, he was so happy, he almost had a tear in his eye.
He launched his kayak and almost instantly jumped a nice river Poon, he was overjoyed. Now I have that rod, It's been nearly 3 years since he passed and I have yet to cast it, I know he would want me to use it but I haven't been able too bring myself to do it, maybe this will be the year.

Thanks for the memories tellers.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Most of my memorable trips were spent behind the camera. I've been very fortunate to fish some really good fisherman here, and to those that let me tag along, I say thank you. Some have drifted away, and for that I am saddened.

DaveR's tarpon that ended up the cover of a calendar was memorable. I rushed home in order to see if I got the picture or not. His first red on fly was very cool as well. The South Park video will always bring a chuckle.

Camping trips with the Lakeland boys from the old CFKA days, Cayo Costa and Chokoloskee. Those were indeed good times.

I hope to be in shape for another one of our Big Bend trips this Spring / Summer. A Big Ugly for an Old Goat. Now there's a story.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
JSnooky

Post by JSnooky »

Ahhh my most memorable experience. Hmmm..let's see.

I think it is best summed up as follows.

There were puppet shows! Oh AND BREAD-LESS SANDWICHES!
There were blenders with weed-eater engines and Daiquiri's Till DAWN!
Stories about poop. Oh and more stories about poop.
We wrapped ourselves in visqueen around a campfire in twenty degree weather and a thirty knot North Wind.
Somebody was a PackRat, and for some reason there was another guy who never thought the fire was ever big enough.
We held up trees, but never hugged them, and JSnooky gave us Typhoid.
Sometimes I remember a guy with a big knife and a little pee pee, trying to scare me.
And other times I wake in a cold sweat because I dream I am being pelted with peanuts and cheezits.
Believe it or not there may have even been some live entertainment, and always some kind of music.
You never wanted to be the first to fall asleep, but you always wanted to be awake when the first person did pass out.
And somewhere among it all men caught fish.

Oh there is more, so very, very, much more ... but I digress...yup, those are the memories I have of great fishing experiences.

This was a rant, and only a few people will be able to comprehend the message, but I assure you the code can be cracked.
"Nooooooooo! Not unless you smell something!"
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Roger that,

Tree Olympics
The search for Habo's tackle
Beachballs
The Bacon stripe
They haven't built the tent that could hold Big T
Tiki torches
Frying turkeys
Roasting Pigs

Where the motor at? I told you, you couldn't get no jet ski for $199