Other (write a comment)
18%

Total votes: 38

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

poll 20# or 30# leader for snook

Post by jbdba01 »

I don't know if it's me or what, but my odds of getting snook landed lately just plain sucks.

Yesterday I had 2 decent (estimate upper 20's) fish go through my leader. I did get one landed (a thick 24" maybe a touch more) but I noticed it was right on the lip. Which got me thinking, seeing that I have a REALLY bad track record with decent/large sized snook (> 30") I'm beginning to wonder if I'm using the wrong leader.

One fish was on for 2 runs, the other put on a show and was on for 3-4 solid run and was practically beat. These fish were hook on the flats - so I didn't need to muscle up.

I'm using 20# Ohero/Seagaur.

I'm not having issues with the reds so I know my drag is not to tight. It's just a function of them head shaking and fraying the leader on the strong runs. When I look at the leader it's frayed big time and appears to be cut 3-4" up (I say appears because I'm not quite sure).

Should I bump up or is this just the nature of the beast. In other words should I expect to lose several snook to land some? I'm not used to "equipment" failure and am wondering if I'm not using the right stuff.

For the record the loses seem to be on paddletails and spoons - seems I'm OK with the suspending lures, jerk baits. Perhaps I need a circle hook jighead.

See poll above.
JB
Mark R

Re: poll 20# or 30# leader for snook

Post by Mark R »

Generally 30# unless the are being finicky, then switch to 20#. I learned that from Skeeter.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I use 25# Seagaur.......best of both worlds..... :wink:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

IMHO it depends if you are using a good fluorocarbon or mono. I use 20# and 25# fluorocarbon. If I was using mono, I would probably use 30#.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

20 is definitely too light, I use 25 for all rounder and even that can get sliced pretty quick.

If I know I'm likely to get bit by Snook, I switch up to 30
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

What he said.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

I always use 30 flouro on my inshore snook rods. I step up to 40 in the passes. 20 is way too light unless you are catching poosie snook or don't mind losing expensive top waters and plugs.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I am in very good company in with Joe John and Dave and use 25.
Credo quia absurdum
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Yozuri pink 25lb :wink:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

30lb if you want to catch em

I've recently switched from seaguar to ohero.. cheaper and in my opinion is stronger and more abrasion resistant.
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
Lime Cider

Post by Lime Cider »

25# Yozuri Pink
Russ
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

30 minimum unless you are fishing around docks then 40 minimum.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

You know it's funny everyone is saying use 30# but I have and like 20# Segar Flouro better it seems to offer better action on the lures. I am yet to loose a lure on it nor a fish ever. It's all I ever use. I caught a Diesel Snook last year on 20# and it held up awesome and I kept my lure. Everybody has their choice so I say make your own and make your own studies figure it out by trying it. Maybe switch your knots up too? I don't know after all I'm still a rookie I suppose. :study:
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

DirksFishin wrote:You know it's funny everyone is saying use 30# but I have and like 20# Segar Flouro better it seems to offer better action on the lures. I am yet to loose a lure on it nor a fish ever. It's all I ever use. I caught a Diesel Snook last year on 20# and it held up awesome and I kept my lure. Everybody has their choice so I say make your own and make your own studies figure it out by trying it. Maybe switch your knots up too? I don't know after all I'm still a rookie I suppose. :study:
You were just lucky...one wrong turn, one head shake and a flared gill plate and kiss it good bye :wink: AND not even 30lb test is a guarantee. If a snook only hits your lure when it strikes and his gums or gill plates don't touch the line...you could probably land a sizable fish on 10lb test.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I'm thinking on the paddletails this weekend they were swallowed (versus lip hooked) and the outcome was practically predetermined. Hence the "I need a circle hook jighead." Someone else said hold the rod to the side versus up. Dunno...I think my expectations where to high on my side and expect to land each snook I hook. I seldom lose a red - guess I'm getting "edumacated" on snook.

Hell...wonderboy went all day once catching a mess of fish all on the same leader; hence the name wonderboy. I believe he triple slammed that day. He rounded out the day with 15 fish. Fortunately Zerosix was there to witness it, otherwise no one would believe it. Point being he got all of them in on one leader on / one lure.
JB
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I have done the same thing, but you asked about improving your odds of landing fish, no doubt in my mind you will land more quality fish (Snook) on 30lb leader.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton